Big Board Vs Small Board, Where is the Line?

ThornInYourSide

Participant
Do you look at post count, thread count, member count? Membership doesnt;' seem to be a good criteria since some make a few posts and never come back. I see boards with well over a million posts. I know of one on VBB with over a million threads, 60 million posts and nearly 3 million members. Most that I frequent are far smaller than that.

DigNap15

Fan
x-y (s*7)/b = busy

There may be other forumula.
Members active during the day

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Ask 50 people, get 50 answers.

And that is probably the only realistic answer e.g. I manage a huge forum with millions of posts but I doubt it's ever had more than 50 active users at any one time so I consider it a small forum regardless of the amount of content.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
My argument has always been 'once you're *requiring* a VPS to run the forum at all, you're no longer a small forum' and 'once you're *requiring a dedicated server or multiple VPSes to run the forum at all, you're no longer medium'.

haqzore

Devotee
My argument has always been 'once you're *requiring* a VPS to run the forum at all, you're no longer a small forum' and 'once you're *requiring a dedicated server or multiple VPSes to run the forum at all, you're no longer medium'.
Or just a really bad server admin.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Let's assume a reasonable level of competence on the part of the server admin :p

eva2000

Habitué
Do you look at post count, thread count, member count? Membership doesnt;' seem to be a good criteria since some make a few posts and never come back. I see boards with well over a million posts. I know of one on VBB with over a million threads, 60 million posts and nearly 3 million members. Most that I frequent are far smaller than that.

I've been working with some of the largest forums on the internet for nearly 20 yrs - including forums with up to 60,000 concurrent members and 500,000+ unique IP visitors/day. My idea of a big forum is in this order of criteria

1. concurrent guest and concurrent member activity and concurrent web server, PHP and MySQL connections. That ultimately decides how much you must scale up your server hardware/configuration to meet your needs. Forum's session timeout calculations can skew real concurrency though. If you had 2 forums - one with 1,000 reported visitors + members but had a 24hr session timeout would have real concurrent user counts much less than a forum with 1,000 reported visitors + members with a 5 minute session timeout.

2. size of the actual data set for files + MySQL database(s) - larger the size = larger the disk storage and backup storage & required hardware and server resource usage (memory, cpu, disk)

ThornInYourSide

Participant
I'm on one board with over a million threads, sixty million posts and two and a half million members. No idea what their daily traffic is. Board was started in '99 and is still on VBB, though I can't tell which version. The board is secondary to the main site and doesn't get a lot of support unless something happens. This past week it was down for about half a day and when it came back the previous 24 hours of posts were gone. I'm thinking server glitch and daily backup.

I'm not sure if they''re to big to port to a new package or just not interested in doing so.