Best Registrar? Who do you use for domains?

z3n

Fan
There are tons and tons of registrars, and I assume that many are just resellers for others.

They cannot all be equal!
And I don't just mean price either.
What about support?
Ability to transfer?
Legal control of a domain versus those with agreements that limit registrant control?

Who do you register domains with, and why?

accyroy

Giant Hedgehog
I used to use easyspace, but they are a disaster right now. For the last 2-3 years I've used http://www.enom.com - They are real registrars as far as I know and you have full rights and access and control. Support has been good in my experience and there control panel/interface is great.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
I've been using GoDaddy for a while now. Going back a few years I originally used Network Solutions and when it came time for some new domains GoDaddy was cheaper and I could do a lot more with their interface. I've been happy with their service so I haven't shopped around for alternatives yet.

The only thing I don't like is that when you register a new domain you have to go through several pages of advertisements for their other services but that's just an annoyance rather than a problem.

Bryan

Lost in Ohio...
I've always used GoDaddy, they were the cheapest when I started getting my domains. I've never had any problem except for letting one domain expire, but that was my fault because I didn't update my contact information. I've never really looked around any more because I prefer to have all of them in one place. :)

Demosthenes

Resident Mancunian
ukreg.com seem to work well for me, they're not the cheapest (£6 ($10~) for .co.uk, 2 years, £10($18~) for .com for one year) but I've never had a problem with them and it's fast and easy to do

Cael

Enthusiast
I use DirectI :) They have a user-friendly reseller panel and I just like it.

Mighty_Squid

Participant
I have used register.com for years but I now just used godaddy.com.

Much cheaper and awesome in general!

A human called my house for just paying them $8!

Wayne Luke

Tazmanian
Mine are all through an enom reseller account that I have. Nice, easy and convenient. Would be too much of a pain to move all 65 domains to another registrar.

my3shadows

Adherent
Yep, GoDaddy here too. I've been using them since I don't remember how long. I think my domain count is up to a whopping 10. :)

Gotta agree with one of the earlier posts though...all those pages of ads are kinda ridiculous when you just wanna buy an $8 domain. :irked:

Bryan

Lost in Ohio...
I was just thinking that the other day when I renewed one. I could understand if you were getting a free domain having to go thru the "special offers" but not for a paid service. It's not like they're the only place with low cost domains. LOL

z3n

Fan
sikhphilosophy said:
Registerfly.com for me...

Concidentally, I just had to register at registerfly because I bought a domain from someone who had registered it there, and I wasn't going to go though a lot of paperwork to transfer if I had gone through a two-registrar transfer.

Godaddy seems like the volume winner.

Has anyone with a domain at Godaddy had to do a transfer? I'm curious how easy that was with them, because a lot of registrats like to make it more complicated then I would suspect it has to be. I respect the fact that you need to protect domains from fraudulent attempts to steal them, but IMO some registrars actively try to impede transfers through fees and extensive agreements.

Barrikin

Launch Team Leader
I've done a few. There's new transfer policy now.

Here are some highlights which protect you:

The FOA should be sent by the Registrar of Record to the Transfer Contact as soon as operationally possible, but must be sent not later than twenty-four (24) hours after receiving the transfer request from the Registry Operator.

Failure by the Registrar of Record to respond within five (5) calendar days to a notification from the Registry regarding a transfer request will result in a default "approval" of the transfer.

In the event that a Transfer Contact listed in the Whois has not confirmed their request to transfer with the Registrar of Record and the Registrar of Record has not explicitly denied the transfer request, the default action will be that the Registrar of Record must allow the transfer to proceed.

Upon denying a transfer request for any of the following reasons, the Registrar of Record must provide the Registered Name Holder and the potential Gaining Registrar with the reason for denial. The Registrar of Record may deny a transfer request only in the following specific instances:

1. Evidence of fraud
2. UDRP action
3. Court order by a court of competent jurisdiction
4. Reasonable dispute over the identity of the Registered Name Holder or Administrative Contact
5. No payment for previous registration period (including credit card charge-backs) if the domain name is past its expiration date or for previous or current registration periods if the domain name has not yet expired. In all such cases, however, the domain name must be put into "Registrar Hold" status by the Registrar of Record prior to the denial of transfer.
6. Express written objection to the transfer from the Transfer Contact. (e.g. - email, fax, paper document or other processes by which the Transfer Contact has expressly and voluntarily objected through opt-in means)
7. A domain name was already in “lock status” provided that the Registrar provides a readily accessible and reasonable means for the Registered Name Holder to remove the lock status.
8. A domain name is in the first 60 days of an initial registration period.
9. A domain name is within 60 days (or a lesser period to be determined) after being transferred (apart from being transferred back to the original Registrar in cases where both Registrars so agree and/or where a decision in the dispute resolution process so directs).

Instances when the requested change of Registrar may not be denied include, but are not limited to:

* Nonpayment for a pending or future registration period
* No response from the Registered Name Holder or Administrative Contact.
* Domain name in Registrar Lock Status, unless the Registered Name Holder is provided with the reasonable opportunity and ability to unlock the domain name prior to the Transfer Request.
* Domain name registration period time constraints, other than during the first 60 days of initial registration or during the first 60 days after a registrar transfer.
* General payment defaults between Registrar and business partners / affiliates in cases where the Registered Name Holder for the domain in question has paid for the registration.

The Registrar of Record has other mechanisms available to collect payment from the Registered Name Holder that are independent from the Transfer process. Hence, in the event of a dispute over payment, the Registrar of Record must not employ transfer processes as a mechanism to secure payment for services from a Registered Name Holder. Exceptions to this requirement are as follows:

(i) In the case of non-payment for previous registration period(s) if the transfer is requested after the expiration date, or

(ii) In the case of non-payment of the current registration period, if transfer is requested before the expiration date.

lufc

forumpromotion.co.uk
i use ukreg aswell. its a nice simple interface and they have good customer service

LeeD

Humble Overseer
I use/have used godaddy, enom, registerfly, dotster, idotz, domainsite, namecheap, etc.

Right now I like registerfly.com, godaddy.com, and namecheap.com the best.

Lugh

Habitué
I used GoDaddy for a couple of years, they were the first cheap registrar with good service that I found about 5 years ago.

As I had nearly 200 domains at the time, I became increasingly frustrated by their interface [or my inability to navigate it easily!] plus the intrusive ads others have mentioned.

I ran into a couple of ethical issues too which bothered me:
1. They had a hidden charge to change ownership of a domain--I never saw it mentioned in a careful reading of their terms before I signed up. As I register domains for many others, this was an issue [note, they've since dropped this charge];
2. I grabbed a special offer on INFO domains when they first came out, basically two years for the price of one. The offer turned out to be not so special when I was ready to let some drop after a year.Apparently GoDaddy had paid for the second year's registration and pressured me by email to renew.

After a lot of research, I settled on NameCheap and have used them for the last 3 years. Slick intuitive interface without any junk in your face and steady service improvements during all the time I've been with them. Excellent quick support the few times I've needed it.

I transferred all my GoDaddy domains over the next 12 months with only one small glitch, so GoDaddy's transfer-out was certainly working well at that time.

NameCheap is one of very few online vendors I highly recommend.