Votes: 15 5.4%
  • XenForo

Votes: 115 41.7%
  • BuddyBoss

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters

Frode789

Enthusiast
Sure it kinda looks old but so does phpbb and its still being used.

phpBB looks much better than SMF though. (and the preview for phpBB 4 is looking pretty sleek!)
SMF looks ANCIENT, not old.
And maybe the most important point when using a free forum solution, is that phpBB is much more popular so the 3rd party content is more varied and more updated. (for example I tested vanilla as well recently, and the 3rd party scene is dead there. Literally dead.)

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
phpBB looks much better than SMF though. (and the preview for phpBB 4 is looking pretty sleek!)
SMF looks ANCIENT, not old.
And maybe the most important point when using a free forum solution, is that phpBB is much more popular so the 3rd party content is more varied and more updated. (for example I tested vanilla as well recently, and the 3rd party scene is dead there. Literally dead.)

Do you have a link where the preview for phpBB 4 can be seen? I did some searching, but could not find anything.

Frode789

Enthusiast
Do you have a link where the preview for phpBB 4 can be seen? I did some searching, but could not find anything.

Dev link for the new style: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=691&t=2485796
(preview of other features in phpBB4 is not available yet. We do know there will be stuff like auto-update, install from ACP and probably tons of other drastic changes, just like the big jump from 2.xx to 3.xx. etc. I expect it to be pretty damn good for a free solution, once it's done.)

Some early style previews:
file.php

PaZxTcR.png

lQB0F98.png

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
Dev link for the new style: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=691&t=2485796
(preview of other features in phpBB4 is not available yet. We do know there will be stuff like auto-update, install from ACP and probably tons of other drastic changes, just like the big jump from 2.xx to 3.xx. etc. I expect it to be pretty damn good for a free solution, once it's done.)

Thanks. It looks good. They are stepping up their game, that is for sure.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
For versatility, I like IPS and for rock solid stability (lack of quirks) I like XenForo. Both are winners in my book.

vicram10

Neophyte
i don't know but for me the best paid forum it's XenForo but in the other side the best free forum for me is SMF

ShahinPB

Aspirant
Honestly, I'm interested in Xenforo but I can't decide if I should make the switch or not.

Right now, I have a large VB4 forum that once I decided to make a switch for a testing purpose, it didn't turn out so well. I guess I will have to endure it a little longer, and hope for the best.

DigNap15

Habitué
I use and like Xenforo - it has never let me down
I don't have any experience of any others as an admin (owner)
I do wish that XF had more stuff in the core and less add-ons which just cause confusion
I also wish there was a more complete users manual for XF, there is so much to learn being an admin.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
The best forum software is still the one that does all the things you need (or has add-ons available to do them), and that helps you engage your members. Everything else is fluff.

ShahinPB

Aspirant
The best forum software is still the one that does all the things you need (or has add-ons available to do them), and that helps you engage your members. Everything else is fluff.
Well said! I chated with some people a while ago and they were acting like why I'm still using VB (in their word a dead product). I mean there is a saying that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and still rocking (then they blocked me haha).

Fait

Enthusiast
There’s no correct answer.

For me I needed something millennials and other newer generations will like since it’s a gaming forum so I chose Xenforo for how Facebook similar it is, but IPBoard or Mybb look great too!

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
There’s no correct answer.

For me I needed something millennials and other newer generations will like since it’s a gaming forum so I chose Xenforo for how Facebook similar it is, but IPBoard or Mybb look great too!
I agree. It's up to personal preference amd what one is looking for.

JoyFreak

Enthusiast
I voted XenForo. Great software and has everything I need to build a community.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Just had a re-read of this thread, it’s been around a while.

Of particular interest to me were the posts from 2017 thrashing out some of the issues if the forum industry - and how it doesn’t really seem to have changed in the years since.

gConverter

Enthusiast

leojely

Neophyte
I can say XenForo because it has so many add-ons and themes. You won't be lost your time while searching for new tools or something. And I have to say that there are no better developers than XenForo theme developers.