Banning by IP range

crazyfruitbat

Aspirant
119.63.196.49 is a Baidu spider (China search engine) not complying to robots.txt so I want to ban it - actually I have banned it some of the IPs via iptables server side - problem is that now I get loads of these buggers coming from 119.63.196.xx. Can I safely ban that whole range 119.63.196.xx without affecting other people?

The reason of concern is that my server runs websites based in Japan (where this Baidu search is), so I don't want to block normal folk by accident. Biggest issue is now that I have Russian spiders and other Chinese search people crawling my site - its only a matter of time before I get spammed like mad - any ideas?

Also if I want to ban an ip range - how do I write that in SSH or webmin? is it 119.63.196.0/xxx (xxx= the max IP I can find?)

Cheers,
C

Judge Dredd

Old Guy
Usually this can be done within the admin control panel of your board software. Whart script are you running?

djbaxter

Tazmanian Veteran
Or, at the server level, you block either 119.63.196.0/16 or 119.63.196.0/24. (i.e., don't use the highest IP you find - it's a different syntax to block ranges of addresses.)

crazyfruitbat

Aspirant
Hi guys, cheers for the replies. My board software in Xenforo but I want to block on a server level because it still takes up the resources on the board and seems a bit pointless as that is what I want to avoid, I don't mind for the odd IP address but today I have 40 individual spiders all from Baidu at one time - all ignoring the robots blocking I set up.

Or, at the server level, you block either 119.63.196.0/16 or 119.63.196.0/24. (i.e., don't use the highest IP you find - it's a different syntax to block ranges of addresses.)

I think this is the best way and block in webmin. What is the rule about 0/16 0/24? Is this a random number or a specific thing based on blocking all ip ranges? Sorry for the questions - interesting stuff.

bigkev93

Aspirant
Some peoples Ip changes in the last 6 digits aswell, so sometimes i ban the first 6 XXX.XXX.

emilykrys

Aspirant
Usually you can set an exception like 119.63.196.* which should ban the range but banning like that would kill anyone within that IP network. Also if its a proxy it wouldn't matter they would just get a new proxy list and come back another day. The best thing is to have a good system for registration and stop them from making accounts.

couponsitescript

Participant
119.63.196.49 is a Baidu spider (China search engine) not complying to robots.txt so I want to ban it - actually I have banned it some of the IPs via iptables server side - problem is that now I get loads of these buggers coming from 119.63.196.xx. Can I safely ban that whole range 119.63.196.xx without affecting other people?

The reason of concern is that my server runs websites based in Japan (where this Baidu search is), so I don't want to block normal folk by accident. Biggest issue is now that I have Russian spiders and other Chinese search people crawling my site - its only a matter of time before I get spammed like mad - any ideas?

Also if I want to ban an ip range - how do I write that in SSH or webmin? is it 119.63.196.0/xxx (xxx= the max IP I can find?)

Cheers,
C
How do you know you will be spammed? Baidu is an important search engine. For me what are you trying to do is like banning Google from your site.
Sure if you ban everyone you will get no spam to your site.
My point: you can't prevent spam. It will be. However letting spiders from know search engines will benefit you. You can consider banning known spiders from there you might have the spam problem.

Upside

Aspirant
How do you know you will be spammed? Baidu is an important search engine. For me what are you trying to do is like banning Google from your site.

Have you had a good experience with Baidu? I have observed Baidu does not obey robots.txt and I've never seen measurable traffic from Baidu even when they are permitted to crawl over time.

crazyfruitbat

Aspirant
Sure if you ban everyone you will get no spam to your site.
My point: you can't prevent spam. It will be. However letting spiders from know search engines will benefit you. You can consider banning known spiders from there you might have the spam problem.

Have you had a good experience with Baidu? I have observed Baidu does not obey robots.txt and I've never seen measurable traffic from Baidu even when they are permitted to crawl over time.

Yes exactly, I see googlebot, amazon, yahoo etc all collect data on the forums, they come do the job and move on and it's only one at a time. Now I have Baidu and some other random Chinese TV station all searching my boards at the same time - i'm getting like 80 bots at one time, it's really not a joke as it eats your bandwidth

johnfoster

Neophyte
I own some websites but never knew that too much crawling by spiders can be a problem. Well I learnt a new thing today...I guess I should go and check my server log..Thanks!

Cre8tin

Aspirant
No racist agenda, just some countries are a nuisance in the online world.
which ones? e.g. United States always occupying #1 of spammers reports?

Besides, it is not that important who does the spam but who orders, finances and provides financial channels/mechanisms for this business.
And USA is indisputable leader in spam business

More links to Spam Countries of Origin:

The7thSage

Adherent
Well USA traffic still generates nice revenue so its a 50-50 problem. China and some other countries do not generate much revenue, the traffic is not much of good quality and there are always some kind of attacks from them. Again, no offense intended.

DigNap15

Adherent
I just read that entering say
217.0.0.0/8
Would ban the whole range of 217 Ip adresses
Does that sound correct?

Last edited:

Paul M

Limeade Addict
Assuming it understands that notation, then yes.
Whether doing so is advisable ? Thats another matter.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
which ones? e.g. United States always occupying #1 of spammers reports?

Besides, it is not that important who does the spam but who orders, finances and provides financial channels/mechanisms for this business.
And USA is indisputable leader in spam business

More links to Spam Countries of Origin:

China is the top country for spam harvesting. The USA is 2nd. This isn't the same as sending spam.
China is the top country for spam-sending. The USA is 2nd.
China is the 2nd country for dictionary attacks. India is 1st, the USA is third.
China is the top country to comment spamming. The USA is 2nd.
China brings little to no "real" human traffic to most sites outside of China. The USA brings enormous amounts of real traffic to countries all over the world (much like the EU does, the UK and Germany are my #2 and #3 sources of traffic after the USA).
- This information is from projecthoneypot.org, which has close ties with the folks at Cloudflare, and they probably have a better idea of traffic trends than just about anyone. Projecthoneypot is one of the largest and oldest sources of harvesting and bad behavior tracking.

I get it, you're sensitive about China for some reason. But facts are facts, China is notorious for low-quality traffic. Its Internet ecosystem is to a large degree "in country" due to language barriers, the Great Firewall of China, and homegrown search and social networks. There's a valid reason large numbers of people have been asking how to block China for 20 years, because it's a large problem. You'll rarely see people ask how to block the EU, USA, Australia, etc. You do see them asking how to block China, Ukraine, Russia and other sites which have little "positive" traffic.

And frankly, given China's horrific track record with stealing intellectual property, I'd block them on principle alone even if they weren't a scraping source. I have little use for a government that looks the other way while it's businesses rip off hundreds of billions of dollars of intellectual property from the rest of the world. That's not a remark about the people of China, those I've met have been very nice.