Banned members that just won't go away?

tristan_SMM

Certified Smartass
tristan_SMM submitted a new Article:

Banned members that just won't go away?

I'm sure most of us at some time in our lives have had a member that we've banned that just keeps on coming back! :bonk: Seems like there's no way to make this person go away or even worse, he/she has been trying to get you shut down by your host! What should you do you ask? Well, there are a number of simple things you can do that will get this jerk off your back. :hiding:

A relatively easy measure is to ban his/her IP address! Not everyone is smart enough to know how to use a proxy, so give it a shot!!

"Uh-oh! Your advice sucks tristan! The person's IP address is useless here! (S)he keeps on coming anyway!!!"

Many people seem to give up pretty quickly after the first try with IP-Bans, but that IP address can be alot more useful than you know or remember. Firstly, there is more than 1 way to IP-ban someone. You can use wild cards for starters! Wild cards are when you add this: *
to the beginning or end of a set of numbers in the IP you are trying to ban. This can make it so that any IP address containing specific numbers before or after the asterick are banned.

Example:

Typical IP-Ban: 72.003.13.56
Wild card: 72.*

Now you might be saying: "tristan! If I do that, it could cause everyone using that ISP to be denied access!"

That is a common concern among many community administrators, so either if you'd rather not get that drastic or if it isn't working because the person is using a proxy, that'll bring us to our next option.

If you can't ban the IP, it still has a very critical use. You can trace it by going to a website such as DNS Stuff.com and it will pull up many pieces of information about the person's ISP and location. You can use that info to contact the person's ISP and let them know what their paying customer is up to! They aren't the only ones who can call other people's abuse departments! Harassing others is guaranteed to be in violation of any ISPs TOS and violation of your ISPs TOS = internet service suspended/revoked. In addition, the ISP may contact law enforcement if it is a criminal matter as required by law. :cop:

This sounds pretty good right? However, I'll bet some people are asking this question: "tristan, what if the ISP in question doesn't seem too concerned?"

Well, here's the deal. Giving up will not get you anywhere, so don't even think about it. When you are talking to the abuse department, be sure to let them know that you...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarah

Habitué
Wild card: 72.*

Now you might be saying: "tristan! If I do that, it could cause everyone using that ISP to be denied access!"

I think it's a little more than that.

This will block 16,777,216 addresses, or 1/256 of all possible addresses in the internet. Maybe you meant to write 72.3.13.*? (Another point, that second octet would be expressed as 3 not 003)

ericho

Neophyte
I have really appreciated reading this article. Being a newbie to the Internet and taking on launching and being the Administrator of my own forum with such little experience has led me to making a few mistakes, yet learning from them.

I have just seen the need to ban our first member and he has been persistent. This article has now given me a couple more ideas that I am happy to use if my last measure is unsuccessful.

Thank you very much, especially for the last piece of advice, "To not lose our mind over it"...very valuable.

Elizabeth Richardson

Dave White

Enthusiast
Thanks for those wonderful tips. We had similar problems early on but were under control.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
Excellent tutorial, I for one have never heard of the Miserable user MOD, will check it out today. Thanks! :D

Sunlite

full moons just wonder
There is a Miserable User Hack for IPB as well as Sean's Token of Death hack: This mod, will store a cookie (token of death - grrrrr) on a banned members computer. If they re-register on your board in order to gain access, the cookie will be recognised by this mod - and their group will automatically be moved into the banned group without you having to lift a finger :)

Lithium

Participant
I have never know what a Miserable user hack did. That is an amazing mod, will install it for the PM spammer on my board.

Great article. I don't believe in wild carding, but like you said it is only for taking drastic measures.

Good article.

Arios

Aspirant
Good information here. My staff have taken to using the DNS site quite often for a very fair amount of $$. It's absolutely worth it.

I do like the miserable user hack. It works wonderfully on vB sites. I've of course gone a step further though. My community can be highly sensitive, and let's face it trolls are out there. Some already may have taken up residence so it's not so easy to just ban them. If necessary: there is what I like to call God-Mode which allows YOU to log in as said user. If they think they can do damage to your site, show them you can do damage to their reputation. They'll give up and go away. :lildevil:

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
There is a Miserable User Hack for IPB as well as Sean's Token of Death hack: This mod, will store a cookie (token of death - grrrrr) on a banned members computer. If they re-register on your board in order to gain access, the cookie will be recognised by this mod - and their group will automatically be moved into the banned group without you having to lift a finger :)

What if in the event, the person is a bit tech savvy and deletes their cookies after each session manually?

dojo

Passionate admin
Another thing to consider:

1. put registrations on ADMIN ACCOUNT VALIDATION. For the days you're into the battle this will help you a lot. I had such a troll and for 4 days he kept on registering. I would ban all those email accounts. And finaly he gave up

2. put all your mods into alert. Such times are good for them to really show their value. If the nice troll escapes all measures, someone will be on the patrol to put him back in place ;)

Great article ;)

sapper6fd

Tech'n Tha Freak
Another vote here for the Miserable User mod. it works wonders. The person posting just gets so tired of posting threads and not getting any replies that they eventually give up.

ultimatehandyman

Aspirant
Some good info there!

I used to have a problem with a guy who was with AOL and could not ban his IP address as about 50 members of my forum (all on AOL) have the same IP address. This is most annoying!

loveos

Neophyte
Undoing evil cookie from a wicked member against another member

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/articles.php?do=viewarticle&aid=30340

[...]

Inserting a cookie onto the user's computer, that cookie will make it so that whenever the person is on your forum, they will experiance:

Delays
Posts will look like they were submitted, but will never show up
Login works only 1/2 the time
Fake server errors come up all the time
PM-s don't work
Email doesn't work

Enjoy and watch the person suffer! Mwahhhaahahahaha!!!

Only way to escape is to (if they're smart enough to know how): Clear cookies, register another account and behave!! How likely is it that the last part will happen? This way is almost full-proof to keep them out.

I have given you many ways to handle these relentless people. How you go about it in the end rests on you though.

[...]

Suppose somebody not an admin does it to a member in good standing on a personal grudge, what can be done to undo the evil of a wicked member doing a grudge on another member in good standing?

How do I instruct the poor persecuted member on how to undo the evil cookie inserted into his computer?

loveos

dismas

Aspirant
What if in the event, the person is a bit tech savvy and deletes their cookies after each session manually?

The next time they log in, the cookie will be put back where it was, no?

Suppose somebody not an admin does it to a member in good standing on a personal grudge, what can be done to undo the evil of a wicked member doing a grudge on another member in good standing?

How do I instruct the poor persecuted member on how to undo the evil cookie inserted into his computer?

loveos

Only mods and admins should have the ability to add them to the miserable users list. And if you don't trust your mods then why are they mods? To remove them though, the mod should have a setting where it asks for the username of the user. Just take their name off the list and hit save.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
It would, but then they'd wait a while and register a new account.

take5

Aspirant
Hi,
I have a similar case. There was a member who insulted me for correcting him to behave in our shoutbox. Later he was banned by a senior mod. We kept his email address. Several minutes later, angered by the ban, he registered another username, but he had carelessly used his former email address. Until this very moment, he was not assigned into any membergroup yet. Now that he is still wondering (but did not dare to beg via PMs) why his status remains a newbie.

I am thinking of assigning him into an appropriate membergroup once he can prove to us that he can behave. What do you think?