Shared Bandwidth

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Do you really mean bandwidth or are you referring to data transfer? Neither are something you need to factor in unless you're planning on hosting videos or a lot of hi-res images. A basic hosting package from a decent host should give you enough of both to run a small forum.

[EDIT] If I recall correctly the forum in question is a photography forum? If it's a new start up that still shouldn't pose a problem but if the site gains traction then you may need to consider a larger hosting package.

Last edited:

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
A small active forum (less than 30k posts) with a moderately popular download section should consume less than 30 gigabytes of bandwidth monthly. Without a download sections or gallery, this should consistently consume up to 15gb, and far less if activity is very low.

Many options exist to minimize bandwidth consumption. Reduce the quality and size of uploads and avatars, limit downloads and full attachment display to logged users, rely on CDNs like cloudflare to serve a significant number of assets without consuming your own bandwidth (javascript libs from public cdns, optimized versions of your images...), and encourage use of public image hosts and streaming platforms like imgur and youtube as alternative to uploading media to your website and thus having your own bandwidth consumed.

User2684

Neophyte
A small active forum (less than 30k posts) with a moderately popular download section should consume less than 30 gigabytes of bandwidth monthly. Without a download sections or gallery, this should consistently consume up to 15gb, and far less if activity is very low.

Many options exist to minimize bandwidth consumption. Reduce the quality and size of uploads and avatars, limit downloads and full attachment display to logged users, rely on CDNs like cloudflare to serve a significant number of assets without consuming your own bandwidth (javascript libs from public cdns, optimized versions of your images...), and encourage use of public image hosts and streaming platforms like imgur and youtube as alternative to uploading media to your website and thus having your own bandwidth consumed.

Some of them has been already implemented, I might look at CDN, I saw my hosting do offer this option too.