backup options using cpanel?

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
Sorry tried to search and didn't have much luck but I am sure it has already been discussed here...

Just chatting to my host and thought id ask about backups, currently they do a back up every 7 days, only 1 copy is kept. Id like to look at a daily back up if possible, currently using cpanel.

what are my options here?

no im not overly technical when it comes to server stuff etc so something automated would be the best option. (and not too expensive)

a back up every 24 hours would be preferred with multiple copies kept.

thanks

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Whatever you do, don't use PHPMyAdmin and expect to get a reliable DB backup.
I don't use cPanel - I don't want the overhead for crap I don't need taking up resources that the HTTP server could be using.
I do manual backups of the DB from SSH and also archive the directory structure. This is all done via a CRON job and therefore is automated, with the distribution of the archived data to two different off-server locations.

Nabix

cornnfedd If your host allows you to, check out Jetbackup 4 for cPanel

It's a cPanel software, so it integrates nicely with existing installs. However, I work in the dedicated hosting industry.

Scheduled backups can be done via WHM now. So, if you have WHM access or your host is cool enough they can schedule a back via the backend and even send the backup to an Amazon, Drive, or Dropbox account. Pretty cool feature from cPanel even though I'm a Plesk man haha

Something I always recommend clients to do is, even with an automated backup, you should still make your own offsite backup every week or so. You can never be too safe. Using Google Drive, DropBox, or even buying a cheap passport from Walmart/Target will make you prepared.

craigForo

Enthusiast
In cpanel/files/backup

Click on your db and save your backup locally.

You can, and should do this daily. You do it and it's free, just add it to your routine.

Also, you should store a backup of your web directory locally also, updating it each time your forum software is updated.

If I totally misunderstood your question, disregard it.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
In cpanel/files/backup

Click on your db and save your backup locally.

You can, and should do this daily. You do it and it's free, just add it to your routine.

Also, you should store a backup of your web directory locally also, updating it each time your forum software is updated.

If I totally misunderstood your question, disregard it.

This is exactly what I do. If you already have cPanel you might as well use it. It provides a quick and easy method (as laid out above) of ensuring you always always have a safe copy of your database and files.

Hosting company backups are not safe nor are cron driven backups written to the same server. It's imperative you make and keep your own backups locally and it'll probably take less than 5 minutes of your time. The frequency of data backup is wholly dependent on how much data you can afford to lose should the worst happen. I'd recommend once a day.