Backlinking Strategy

Jack_Rouse

Use The Force
Jack_Rouse submitted a new Article:

Backlinking Strategy

When it comes to SEO, you are expected to know the jargon out of the box, without anyone actually explaining what the jargon means.

One thing I see time and time again is the term "Backlinking strategy".
It doesn't tell you anything, so if you wanted a strategy to work to, then you could do worse than follow this one.

The hardest part about backlinking is finding forums, websites and blogs that will allow links of any kind, and there is nothing more disheartening than spending hours commenting only to find when the comment is approved the link has been disabled.

There is a way to get round it, and it will work 80% of the time.

Step One
Enter one of your keywords or key phrases into Google
If you have Excel start a new workbook, and create new page for each of the top ten forums.

Step Two
Download http://www.seo-spyglass.com/, and install it.

Step Three
Launch SEO spyglass, it will ask you for your URL and the URL of the competitor you want it to analyse.
The next screen asks for your Google analytics details, just skip this if you want to.
Spyglass will now search it's database of over 15bn links to find one for the site you chose, in the free version it will list 1100 of them for you.

Step Four
From this you can choose to analyse the links further, you can isolate the links you want (external), then spyglass will analyse the links even further, giving you a final list of live links and the sites rank in the top search engines, this can take some time though, as it is a live search.

Now it's just a case of rinse and repeat, until you have covered the top ten forums for each of your chosen key words or phrases.

Step Five
Assuming you have them all in excel, or some other spreadsheet, now delete duplicates, and then sort by the rank of the search engine you wish to target.
Having got rid of the duplicates you should still have a good number of sites that you realistically have an 80% chance of establishing a link on.

Tip
Beware of link directories that are out of niche, make sure when submitting to a directory you narrow the niche down as much as possible.

If you do this, you now have a backlinking strategy, start with the highest ranking sites, and work down, plus with spyglass, it will do all the hardwork for you when it comes to checking if those links are still active in six months time.

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
This made for an interesting read Jack.
The website link you posted though http://www.linkassist.com/ -- The website is unresponsive. Can't get most of the links to work in Chrome, while the links that do work go to an error page. I googled and came up with the url http://www.seo-spyglass.com/ --- Is it the same software you referenced above?

J.

Jack_Rouse

Use The Force
This made for an interesting read Jack.
The website link you posted though http://www.linkassist.com/ -- The website is unresponsive. Can't get most of the links to work in Chrome, while the links that do work go to an error page. I googled and came up with the url http://www.seo-spyglass.com/ --- Is it the same software you referenced above?

J.

yep that would be the one, funny the link they gave me was the link assist one, I've altered the link in the article to suit now, thanks J

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
I would be wary of any link directory these days, not just out of niche directories. Because anyone can (and usually will) put links to their site in these directories the value of the links are generally not only worthless but in some cases detrimental. Many sites have been hit with manual penalties due to obvious non-natural link patterns such as many link directories.

Ultimately the best linking strategy for long term growth is high quality content people want to link to.

shawnhartwell

Habitué
I would honestly avoid link directories all together. You don't know what kind of fishy links have been posted there. Great job on the article though.

Jack_Rouse

Use The Force
The article does state that you sort the links found by PR, rightly or wrongly I assumed that 18 months down the line from Penguin, most if not all of the rogue link directories would have had their PR negated by Google, therefore by a process of elimination, only "good link directories" should be left, to assume all of them were bad, is just as wrong as assuming all of them were good.

alen_peter

Neophyte
Using a good backlinking strategy that focuses on quality over quantity is very important to an online business. It takes time and dedicated effort, but that is the mark of a professional. If you are not already recognized as an authority in your niche, you now have one more piece to the puzzle.

Backlinking Tip 1

If your backlinking strategy is going to be effective, you must get your links on sites that are similar to yours. In other words, websites that sell products and services very much like what you sell. This will make your backlinking more powerful.

Backlinking - Quality Over Quantity?

Online marketers don't need thousands of backlinks to achieve higher rankings in the search engines; what a marketer needs is a backlinking strategy that values quality over quantity. Of course, the more links you get, the better, but they should be quality links.

HypeFeeder

Aspirant
I've tried SEO Spy Glass in the past, and TBH I wasn;t much of a fan, I found the software very clunky and would usually hang very easily. Maybe they have improved it since I last used it, But even using the full professional version, not just the free one I found the program to be lacking.

They are expensive but someone like www.ahrefs.com seem to do a much better job at this sort of thing.