Back for more

Mysti

Aspirant
Hi, everyone. I am back on TAZ. I have been gone so long I had to create a new account.

I used to admin a couple of large forums, one was my own. Then Facebook and life happened at the same time. I stepped down from one forum and my own forum died back in 2015. Now I am back and doing three forums at once. Been doing some reading here and thought I should re-introduce myself. Nice to see some familiar faces are still around.

StateDOG

New Beginnings...
You're running three different boards now? That's intense!
What all are the topics?

Mysti

Aspirant
The first one is a private forum for an RV club. I set it up with a vBulletin 5 license I haven't used since 2015. The private forum seemed like the right thing to do since some people had left the Facebook group due to politics.

Setting this up reminded me how much I love setting up forums, managing them, making themes, etc. Do I decided to start up a forum for myself related to Dogecoin. I was going to use my other vBulletin license initially, but after seeing what happened with them, I purchased a Xenforo license instead. Never used it before, but I am impressed with how smooth it runs.

Once I got the forum setup and activated my AdWords deal I happened to have offered to me, I realized that anything cryptocurrency related you couldn't advertise on google. I looked further and found the same ban on it with Facebook and Bing. I don't know if I will be able to get it going without ads to bring people to it. I was able to get a paid posting service so it isn't a completely empty forum if people come to it, but of course that only works for a short time. Also, while my site is at the top of search for bing and duckduckgo, it is buried in google.

So, while building my Dogecoin forum and really enjoying the creative process of setting up the two forums I, I did a domain search for forumsetup.com. To my amazement it was available! It had been purchased by a domain squatter back in 2005 according to the wayback machine, and finally released in 2019. It was kismet, or fate, or whatever you want to call it. I decided to setup this one and have so many ideas of what I want to do with it. Still trying to decide if I should have a WordPress front-end on it or not. I purchased a xenforo license for it instead of using my other vBulletin license, although perhaps I will use it to setup a small vBulletin demo.

Have you decided if you are going the independent route for your sports forum?

StateDOG

New Beginnings...
Have you decided if you are going the independent route for your sports forum?
Yeah.... I'm on a time crunch to figure out my details of the new install (leaning IPB) and getting it configured before opening the doors. But I am going to give it a go. The board software itself will be a lot more feature rich and effective at building community. The proprietary software the other board used was pretty basic. It looked nice enough, but was mainly just topics/posts/PMs. So I'm excited. I'm nervous. I'm hopeful.

We'll see!

Mysti

Aspirant
Congrats! It should be fun getting it all setup. IPB looks nice. If you need help with some posts to get it going, I'd be glad to create an account and give you some posts, although since I don't know the sports teams there it may not be helpful.

I have debated on using IPB for the RV group since it includes the calendar they need, but they don't really have the money for it. I am hopeful vB5 will be okay since it will be a small group and the software is already paid for.