Attracting new members

cpvr

Tazmanian Master
cpvr submitted a new Article:

Attracting new members

What is this article for?
I know as a forum owner - I sometimes find forums that could be doing a lot better with the right amount of effort.

About me: I'm the owner of Virtual pet list

I know I get a few questions in my PM box for other forum owners asking about "How do I attract members?" The answer is simple - go out there and use the internet, promote your community - do post exchanges - which encourage more content, but do not rely on post exchanges to grow your community - because you need to get out there and attract natural members.

Why relying on post exchanges doesn't help...
I see a lot of forum owners doing this and quite frankly its ridiculous - post exchanges are to help your community - but not be the only content source. You should be actively posting, and trying to promote your forum. Natural members come when they see a content-rich forum, that's inviting, and very welcoming. Would you want to join a forum that has various members with only 10 posts, or 15 posts? Only posts and not so many threads?

It is hard

If you can't seem to attract new members - then you need to ask yourself these questions and think about the box "Why should I join this community?" "What does my community offer that other ones don't?" "What is my forum's vision?"

If you can't answer those questions to yourself - then you need to rethink your thoughts of running a community because great dreams always come together.

And also, as a forum owner, I'd like to tell you this. Do not ever give up on your dreams, chase them.

Using Forum signatures
Are you actively involved on various forums on the net? Include a link to your site in your signature -and be active on the community. Usually if you post interesting things, and be helpful, people usually click the links that you have in your forum signature. I know I find this method very effective and has worked for me over the years.

Using Twitter and Facebook
These two social networking sites have monsters - they have millions of users, and that means, adapted potential for your community - are you actively involved trying to meet new people? Twitter has a search feature that allows you to find keywords that you want to discuss and talk about it - its best to @ people you want to talk to, and get to know, then ask them to check out your site, and possibly become a member. I know including a link to your site on your Twitter...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulwatcher

Devotee
Yes I find it hard to get members I have a extremely tough niche. But I have spoken with you and gogoblender and I now know what needs to be done. My plan is to spend the entire summer building massive amounts of content and going from there. And even if my forum does fail it has been a great learning experience and I will not make the same mistakes with the next one.

cpvr

Tazmanian Master
Yes I find it hard to get members I have a extremely tough niche. But I have spoken with you and gogoblender and I now know what needs to be done. My plan is to spend the entire summer building massive amounts of content and going from there. And even if my forum does fail it has been a great learning experience and I will not make the same mistakes with the next one.

Good luck buddy. :) Just remember "hardwork" always pays off in the end.

T3chn0

Fan
Some good points but in regards to "Using Forum signatures" make sure you read the rules beforehand as not all forums allow this especially if you're a competing site. When it comes to webmaster related stuff, they usually don't mind but in other niches it can get you banned even if you're not spamming.

Also, when asking for feedback ask opinions from strangers as well, not just people you know as friends tend to not be too critical. You can also ask your existing members what they feel can be improved or what they don't like. I've neglected a few things myself which the community pointed out over the years.

cpvr

Tazmanian Master
Some good points but in regards to "Using Forum signatures" make sure you read the rules beforehand as not all forums allow this especially if you're a competing site. When it comes to webmaster related stuff, they usually don't mind but in other niches it can get you banned even if you're not spamming.

Also, when asking for feedback ask opinions from strangers as well, not just people you know as friends tend to not be too critical. You can also ask your existing members what they feel can be improved or what they don't like. I've neglected a few things myself which the community pointed out over the years.

When it's not allowed, then follow the rules. Sometimes you're allowed to use "Location", and "homepage" on profiles - this two options should also include your forum link.

allshine

Neophyte
thank you for sharing,I think promotion on yahoo answer ,twitter and facebook is a easy task for everyone ,the key is ability of execution

hazelnice

Neophyte
Right, SEO is one of the reason for new members. And besides of that, forum attracts new members because forum provides interesting topics.

cpvr

Tazmanian Master
Right, SEO is one of the reason for new members. And besides of that, forum attracts new members because forum provides interesting topics.

Ya, and if you work on driving links to your site - you'll see a lot of amazing organic SEO results.

yahx_harlen

Neophyte
nice article. yes when attracting new members, social networking is really a better way to make it.

NerdForum

Adherent
As a new forum admin, I've found this very useful. Currently I'm using twitter, facebook, and yahoo answers. Though the forum is brand new, I hope to soon have at least a small user base.

BeautifulAngel

Participant
Great article thanks for posting. I find sometimes that it can be hard to attract members however through dedication and perseverence you can have an active forum and great community.

cpvr

Tazmanian Master
Great article thanks for posting. I find sometimes that it can be hard to attract members however through dedication and perseverence you can have an active forum and great community.

Thanks for the compliment. And, I agree. Attracting members can be hard but if you find the right direction, it only becomes easier.