AsmBB forum software presentation.

\o/

an oddity
Thank you for the answer. :) I might look into it when my project stack is smaller...
(In 2022 maybe?)

\o/

an oddity
I noticed that the current default theme (Urban Sunrise) has an annoyingly small font size for the attachments on larger resolutions. Generally, the font size could be increased in the theme in my opinion.

\o/

an oddity
Today, I tried (and failed) to run AsmBB over LigHTTPd in a subdirectory (my.domain/asmbb). I cannot even register - the form target is my.domain/!adminrulez.

Does AsmBB require its own (sub)domain?

edit: I found that, in 2019, it was said that this problem will be looked into. Seems like it hasn’t yet.

----------

Feature idea: Automatically use the Categories view as the start page.

Last edited:

\o/

an oddity
Do legal wars exist? And which consequences does a personal opinion by a random Asm developer, posted somewhere on his own website, have for the war at all? (Assumption: none.)

Last edited:
Reactions: ehd

rafalp

Desu Ex
(As screenshots are always a bad style, here's the original.)
There's "source" link under the image.

I am not going to debate the legality of war, but I feel people deserve to know when they are about to show support to a developer who considers Ukraine a Nazi country that deserves to be invaded by corrupt oligarchy from Kremlin and its people experiencing what they are now experiencing.

I'm done here. But if you need to defend a person arguing for killing of Ukrainian people, keep going.

Last edited:

\o/

an oddity
There's "source" link under the image.

Ah, indeed! I did not see that. Growing old is not for sissies... :notworthy:

I am not going to debate the legality of war, but I feel people deserve to know when they are about to show support to a developer who considers Ukraine a Nazi country that deserves to be invaded by corrupt oligarchy from Kremlin and its people experiencing what they are now experiencing.

I sincerely hope that people do not choose their preferred software primarily on the basis of where its developers would place themselves politically.

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
The war is a dirty war and there are plenty of arguments on both sides as to who is "in the right" my answer to that would be neither.

Chris

Administrator
Thank you for informing this, and those that would like to know. Let's get back on topic for the software.

Reactions: \o/

Oh!

Fan
Sorry. But rafalp is correct. When the people of an invaded country are described as a 'plague to be eradicated'* by the developer of the software being promoted at this community, it is right to let everyone know and to call it out. To then attempt to sweep it under the carpet with 'let's get back on topic' message from an admin strikes me as tone deaf. I get that places like TAZ wish to remain politically neutral, but there should be red lines for all social media and forum-based websites. Ukrainians are not Nazis. They do not deserve to be eradicated. This, surely, should be a red line.

* The irony of using that language to mislabel Ukrainians as Nazis and urge their eradication surely cannot have escaped many people here.

rafalp

Desu Ex
"the Ukrainians"
Maybe ask yourself why you feel a need to defend other person’s horrible starements for attacking other country and calling this country a nazi one, and in course of doing so you need to deny Ukrainian rights to statehood, life and safety?

And as for „software is not same as its developer”, it totally is when it comes to open source. If you run a forum on asmBB, your forum will contain a link back to authors site, both amplifying authors original platform and running a risk of one of your users following that libk and asking you why you are linking to putinbot site. Not to mention other issues like getting support and respectful treatment from the author with obviously and blalantly excluding views.

Last edited:

\o/

an oddity
you need to deny Ukrainian rights to statehood, life and safety?

Never have, never will. Please stick with what a person actually writes when talking about it.

you run a forum on asmBB, your forum will contain a link back to authors site, both amplifying authors original platform and running a risk of one of your users following that libk and asking you why you are linking to putinbot site.

The developer - whether you agree with his point of view or not - is not a “bot”. I warmly recommend to not dehumanize a person just because you disagree with him.

Not to mention other issues like getting support and respectful treatment from the author with obviously and blalantly excluding views.

My past interactions with the developer were respectful and friendly.

rafalp

Desu Ex
Never have, never will. Please stick with what a person actually writes when talking about it.
We both know saying that war started in 1995 is a dogwhistle to how Ukraine is somehow artificial state created as part of power gamble with NATO. Or if you've didn't know this, congratulations, today you've learned something new. Also term to read: panslavism, where all slavic people are supposedly bond to Russia and always were.

The developer - whether you agree with his point of view or not - is not a “bot”. I warmly recommend to not dehumanize a person just because you disagree with him.
He fits a definition of "putinbot" - a person who must be mindless to defend Putin and repeat is propaganda, hence "a bot". Whether you like the term or not, it was in wide use even before the war. And you'll find there are people who end to don't have much respect for people who think killing other people over beliefs or politics is a good idea.

I warmly recommend you to stop defending killing of people and calling those people Nazi because you don't like discussing politics. When you don't react when somebody is hurt, you are on side of aggressor. Its simple as that, and some of us still have strong morals to act up when they see it.

Last edited:

\o/

an oddity
We both know saying that war started in 1995 is a dogwhistle

Facts are not a dogwhistle. Recommendation: Wikipedia, history of Crimea between 1991 and 1995, especially the part about what the Crimeans wanted to achieve and what the Kievan government did. I understand that you dislike the development. So do I, so do the Crimeans, so does Putin. (For varying reasons.)

it was in wide use even before the war.

I doubt that people used “Putinbot” before 1995.

I warmly recommend you to stop defending killing of people

I did not. Stick with the truth.

calling those people Nazi

“Some people are nazis” is not quite the same thing as “they are all nazi and deserve to die”. Stick with the truth.

When you don't react when somebody is hurt, you are on side of aggressor.

Both sides claim that the other side is the aggressor. Both sides can verify that by citing Wikipedia. Just because you like one side more than the other side, this still isn’t a “good vs. bad” duality.

Please discuss your unhappiness with history on Wikipedia before randomly attacking users on TAZ.