AsmBB forum software presentation.

SAFAD

Developer
Well, I have mixed feelings towards systemd, but was forced to use it because of Arch Linux.
Off topic: If you are inclined to "Build from scratch Linux" I must refer you to Gentoo as it uses openRC instead of systemd, or Slackware as I do on my laptop.
On topic: Do you have a plan/todo list for this awesome piece of software?

JohnFound

Participant
Off topic: If you are inclined to "Build from scratch Linux" I must refer you to Gentoo as it uses openRC instead of systemd, or Slackware as I do on my laptop.
I am only simple Linux user. And have no any intentions to become advanced Linux user. Gentoo is definitely out of my level of competence. I like Arch linux mainly because of very simple configuration file structure and very good documentation where one can see the answer of a question without being Linux sysadmin. :)

On topic: Do you have a plan/todo list for this awesome piece of software?
Very soon (even today or tomorrow) I will release v2.0 (the demo site already run it) where are many changes in the source code architecture. As a result of template engine refactoring, the pages rendering speed is double higher now and the memory footprint significantly lower. Also, the engine has been tested with
tinfoil security scanner and ZAP for vulnerabilities.

The future plans are to slowly add some more features (like file attachments). But the evolution of the project depends mainly on the users. If there are such, the project will evolve. If not, well, I am using it as a good test suite for my libraries and will continue this way.

JohnFound

Participant
Well it happened. I officially released the v2.0 of AsmBB forum engine. The release notes are posted on https://board.asm32.info/asmbb-v2-0-has-been-released.175/

Additionally I started a little experiment. By simultaneous posting an announcements on several social networks, I will try to initiate a slash-dot effect in order to try to estimate the loading limits of the engine. If you are curious how many load can withstand AsmBB 2.0 - make some noise on your social accounts. ;)

Currently the engine runs on VPS with 1 CPU core (3.6GHz), 1GB RAM, Arch Linux and nginx, hosted in Amsterdam, Holland.

The testing database is approximately 100MB in size.

In relaxed state, the engine consumes approximately 3..4MB of RAM.

SAFAD

Developer
The development cycle of this Software beats SMF and many other forum softwares by a stretch.
Good job!
EDIT: Once I have my hands free off my current projects, I will create a beautiful theme for this nice engine, Speed doesn't have to mean ugliness, all OSS projects need :heart:

JohnFound

Participant
Once I have my hands free off my current projects, I will create a beautiful theme for this nice engine, Speed doesn't have to mean ugliness, all OSS projects need
Unfortunately my design skills are pretty low. It would be great if you (or anyone else) decide to contribute a professional grade themes. From my side I will cooperate by providing back-end changes if needed for some front end feature.

However, in order to add such works to the official package, there are several requirements:

1. To be distributed by EUPL or compatible license.
2. To keep the fronend as lightweight and fast as possible. Notice that I am testing on a specially selected low performance netbook. :D

SAFAD

Developer
Unfortunately my design skills are pretty low. It would be great if you (or anyone else) decide to contribute a professional grade themes. From my side I will cooperate by providing back-end changes if needed for some front end feature.

However, in order to add such works to the official package, there are several requirements:

1. To be distributed by EUPL or compatible license.
2. To keep the fronend as lightweight and fast as possible. Notice that I am testing on a specially selected low performance netbook. :D
First time I hear about EUPL hummm, anyways I always distribute my OSS work under MIT license.
Performance wise, we can see to that later on :)

JohnFound

Participant

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
The appendix of the EUPL 1.2 makes no mention of MIT/BSD licence, presumably because they're actually less restrictive than the EUPL is. MIT/BSD is basically 'do whatever you want with it, don't expect me to fix it, and don't pretend you wrote it when you didn't', there's no clauses protecting onward distribution or ensuring source code is available.

Without spending a vast amount of time on it, it looks at a glance like the GPL just rewritten very slightly to include more of the legalese that I'm used to seeing from the European Commission - and I wouldn't be surprised if it has some of the same issues as other things that have come out of the EC when it comes to software, namely a complete disconnect with reality (as we see from the GDPR)

Pete

It's not a two way deal. You can take BSD/MIT code and incorporate it into your work, but anything built under EUPL can't be directly included into a BSD/MIT project.

JohnFound

Participant
It's not a two way deal. You can take BSD/MIT code and incorporate it into your work, but anything built under EUPL can't be directly included into a BSD/MIT project.
Yes, EUPL is copy-left license, very similar to GPL. I am usually releasing the complete products (like AsmBB or Fresh IDE) under copy-left EUPL license and reusable components (like FreshLib) under permissible BSD license.

Pete

Yes, EUPL is copy-left license, very similar to GPL. I am usually releasing the complete products (like AsmBB or Fresh IDE) under copy-left EUPL license and reusable components (like FreshLib) under permissible BSD license.
That sounds wonderful :)

JohnFound

Participant
Yesterday I uploaded an experimental implementation of "Categories", because people often ask about this feature.

The feature is accessible on the demo site: /!categories

But AsmBB categories are implemented a little bit different than on the other forums. At first, the category is actually a tag satisfying two requirements:

1. Must have text description defined when the tag was first time created by some user. Of course the forum admin can add or edit the descriptions later.
2. The hidden "importance" field must be >= 0 (all tags are created with importance = 0)

This way in accordance with AsmBB ideology, there is no fixed categories. The users of the forum can create new categories. The administration of the forum can partially control this process by setting the "importance" value (the categories are ordered according to this value descending).

Another effect is that it is normal for a thread to be listed in several categories.

Although I am not very sure how to continue the development of this feature. Maybe some user control on the "importance" field will be appropriate (voting up/down?). Or to make the user able to set the display threshold (which is now fixed to 0). If you have some ideas - share them. :)

zappaDPJ

Administrator
It could be activity led. Categories with the highest levels of activity shuffle to the top.

JohnFound

Participant
Categories with the highest levels of activity shuffle to the top.
User controllable ordering is OK, but IMHO it should be not exactly depending on activity. Because the users usually does not expect the categories to move up/down all the time. This behavior is expected for the threads.

\o/

an oddity
I have been following AsmBB (and Fresh) development for a while and it is awesome, minus the theme. ;)
It is refreshing to see some very different approach to how to write a forum engine, especially when it leads to obvious performance advantages. Thank you very much for your dedication!

Does the EUPL table mean that any license that is not mentioned in it is automatically considered incompatible?

JohnFound

Participant
minus the theme. ;)
Which of them? There are 2 available: Wasp+mobile and Light+MoLight. Light/MoLight is active as default right now.
Or both are bad. :(;)

Does the EUPL table mean that any license that is not mentioned in it is automatically considered incompatible?
Not at all. The compatibility table is not part of the license. Just an auxuliary document for quick reference. The compatibility with not listed licenses should be evaluated based on the texts of the licenses.

\o/

an oddity
The new "light" theme is notably better than the yellow one, but it still needs some font size adjustments. Especially the footer takes too much room in my opinion.

Thank you for the clarification re:EUPL - I never saw that license before.

JohnFound

Participant
re:EUPL - I never saw that license before.
Generally speaking it is the same as GPL (free and copyleft), but with two major improvements:

1. It is better harmonized with the European laws.
2. It is legitimate in all 22 official translations, while GPL is legitimate only in English.