AsmBB forum software presentation.

JohnFound

Participant
The next implemented feature of AsmBB is the real-time chat system. Test it on https://board.asm32.info/!chat

For now I allowed the anonymous guests to use the chat, but later, if the load on the server is too high, I will limit it only for the registered users.

JohnFound

Participant
The new version 1.5 of the binary package has been submitted to the repository.

The download link is the same: asmbb.tar.gz

The new version has improved themes support. Now all styling is by using LESS and separate .css files for the different templates. This way minimizing the style sheet size and improving the project management.

Digital Doctor

Tazmanian
Yes, it is. I am planning to make special mobile skin, but my skills in front-end technologies are very low, so such project will last long. Except if someone contribute such skin to the project. :)
The main tweak would be to put the avatar above the post not to the side. Pretty simple.

JohnFound

Participant
OK, I just uploaded an update implementing special handling of the mobile devices. The mobile users should have much better experience now, both for the forum and for the chat.

The source code is in the branch MobileSkin.

cheat_master30

oh wow, assembly for forum :eek:
Yeah, that was my thought too. I've seen how hard it is to write custom code for SNES ROM hacks in assembly, writing a whole forum in a variant of it seems like it'd be even harder.

That said, it looks decent so far. I mean, it does everything you'd expect from a forum and works pretty much as you'd expect it to. So good job with the script JohnFound!

JohnFound

Participant
The version 1.7 of the engine has been released.

Download the binary package from here: asmbb.tar.gz
The source checkin is: f3da53d0f278fd22

With better bot recognition, improved settings page (administration) and an option to work without SMTP server configured (without email confirmation of the accout registration).

Several minor bugs has been fixed as well and the installation.txt guide more detailed.

JohnFound

Participant
Recently I moved the whole domain asm32.info on a new hosting - small vps from vultr.
Instead of Apache it runs now on Nginx.

Now the demo instance of AsmBB: https://board.asm32.info is much faster and probably can serve much more visitors, because of the better use of FastCGI features and the faster web server.

Also, the real-time chat works again (it was broken because of Apache bug with HTTP2 and SSE).

The VPS has 1GB RAM, 1CPU and hosts my email server, my home page, fossil repositories, my family web sites and the demo instance of AsmBB.

R0binHood

Habitué
It’s insanely fast. It’s quicker to tap another link on mobile to load a new page than it is to use the swipe back action and animation :D

How is the real-time chat implemented?

I would love real time chat out of the box on one of the big commercial platforms.

JohnFound

Participant
How is the real-time chat implemented?

I would love real time chat out of the box on one of the big commercial platforms.
The chat is implemented by server sent events (SSE). The front-end is a simple plain JS. The users post messages via POST requests, and the back-end sends an events to all connected users containing the new messages.

Separating the chat is possible, simply by not giving access to the whole engine and separating the chat code into a static HTML page. That is the simplest method. Of course it can be extracted from the engine, but it will need some work and recompilation. Of course removing features is much easier that adding. :)

Ah, BTW, I just posted a tutorial how to setup AsmBB on a VPS with nginx: https://board.asm32.info/how-to-install-asmbb-on-vps-with-nginx-and-systemd.163/

SAFAD

Developer
Offtopic: Systemd ?
that is the most utter rubbish initialization service management ever written and I hate how every linux is now using it, i changed to Slackware just because my openSUSE distro broke and guess what, the BINARY logs also broke so I have no idea how to get my system back up and running :(
Viva sysv and openRC...

Mate, keep this software updated and amaze us more every day please!

JohnFound

Participant
Well, I have mixed feelings towards systemd, but was forced to use it because of Arch Linux.