Asking for donations - Whereabouts?

DigNap15

Adherent
Hello
My forum is getting busy so it needs money to pay for it.
I have gone the donations route, as many of my members offered to donate early on.
I ran a couple of casual posts in my admin intro thread and they worked very well.

Now I am looking for a more permament setup.
I have set up a widget (I'm on Xenforo) at the bottom of the right hand panel.
But I dont think many people see it, especially on mobile, as it the very last entry they see when they scroll way down.

I am thinkig of putting it much higher on my rigth hand panel.
What do you do?
Where is the best place?

zappaDPJ

Administrator
My preference has always been visible on the landing screen but not so it's in your face e.g. a widget on a sidebar but not a banner across the screen. I've also found it helps greatly if you set out your objectives in a forum post and have a visible target along with the total amount collected which should be updated (manually if necessary) every time someone makes a donation.

Ingenious

Fan
I sometimes run a notice that's visible to logged in members not already in the donations usergroup, asking for their support. This can appear in your usual notices place eg. at the top of the forum, but people can dismiss it, so freeloaders can continue as normal ;)

As zappaDPJ says above, it's helpful to link these to a post explaining what donations are for and why you are asking.

I also have a widget in the sidebar only visible to logged in, non-donating members (no point in pushing this in front of guests who are not even members yet).

You have to balance drawing this to people's attention without bothering them too much, as nagging can get annoying.

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
Hello
My forum is getting busy so it needs money to pay for it.
I have gone the donations route, as many of my members offered to donate early on.
I ran a couple of casual posts in my admin intro thread and they worked very well.

Now I am looking for a more permament setup.
I have set up a widget (I'm on Xenforo) at the bottom of the right hand panel.
But I dont think many people see it, especially on mobile, as it the very last entry they see when they scroll way down.

I am thinkig of putting it much higher on my rigth hand panel.
What do you do?
Where is the best place?

Have you thought about selling Supporting Members Memberships? We copied this from Taz years ago and it's worked well for us. For us, people "buy" a badge which we affix to their post bit...and they can buy the badge for however much they want or pay monthly. You'd be surprised how generous people are when they love your product and have something to show off in their posts.
:)

gogo

DigNap15

Adherent
Have you thought about selling Supporting Members Memberships? We copied this from Taz years ago and it's worked well for us. For us, people "buy" a badge which we affix to their post bit...and they can buy the badge for however much they want or pay monthly. You'd be surprised how generous people are when they love your product and have something to show off in their posts.

gogo
Thats a good idea.
Some people think Titles are a waste of time.
But I think most people look at them and like them and are proud of them.
I dont think your idea would work on my forum, as its a political one and it can get heated, and people might think admin is favoring ones that make donations.

jair101

Participant
Consider also doing it in campaign, like Wikipedia. Brief period, but with really in your face type of banner, yellow on black background type of stuff :) With the permanent setup I think your users will soon develop banner blindness and stop paying attention to it.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Consider also doing it in campaign, like Wikipedia. Brief period, but with really in your face type of banner, yellow on black background type of stuff :)
I think this works for Wikipedia because of the anonymity between the site and user. I'm not sure how well a regular forum user would take to being smashed in the eyeball by a neon banner though :eek:

With the permanent setup I think your users will soon develop banner blindness and stop paying attention to it.
I definitely agree with this. When I've run this type of campaign I've made a point of setting a time limit for it regardless of whether or not the target has been reached. I've found user fatigue/blindness tends to set in quite quickly.

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
and people might think admin is favoring ones that make donations.

But you are re the post bits ...and this should be proudfully acknowledged. .. You have bills to pay

Be proud of your moderation but write a clear, easily understood pitch about how you are showing thanks to people that help you pay your bills...make it clear that the two are different lines of thought completely.

gogo

TLChris

Administrator
I wrote an article about this, and included a few links to the manual that might help you.

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
I wrote an article about this, and included a few links to the manual that might help you.
Well written and informative
my favorite line from your article

• A heartfelt thank you message for users who decide to support your site

gogo

cdub24

Enthusiast
We have supporting memberships on my site.

It's how the site makes all it's money as we have NO ads. We also use the paid registration addon.

We also have great perks for members (proprietary data) and have a pretty good rate of uptake.

overcast

Adherent
I think offering premium features and then charging for it makes sense. Like marketplace listing, ad free surfing etc. type of features.