Ask me stuff

Karll

Adherent
... or else I will start interviewing myself!

I'm terrible at small-talk, but I promise to make an effort!

Well, this is the "Ask me anything" forum, so you can ask about anything, I'm not afraid!

Last edited:

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I hope you don't mind a bit of controversy :cautious:

Vegans have raised their heads above the parapet quite significantly in recent times. Does your forum ever experience backlash from meat eaters and if so how do you respond?

How radical is your membership? For example how would they respond to a meat eater wanting to engage in sensible debate?

Is leather ever an option for a vegan?

And finally, totally off-topic, are you still looking an Xenforo licence? If so let me know. I have a number of active licences I'll probably never use. I'd normally let them rot but as a valued member of TAZ I'm quite happy to reach an amicable agreement with you on price. I'm away for a couple of days but let me know if I can help :)

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
- Assuming your revenues are unaffected either way, are you more confortable running forums or do you prefer participating as a regular member ?

- during your boards' existence, were member donations and premium memberships ever significant and frequent enough to offset your operating costs?

Karll

Adherent
what is your big board?
It's called Veggie Views. It's only barely and recently "big". We've been online since 2012 with a very loyal membership. It used to be a support and general discussion forum for vegans, vegetarians and people transitioning to these lifestyles. However, we've recently decided to change the focus slightly.

Karll

Adherent
I hope you don't mind a bit of controversy :cautious:
Not at all :)

Vegans have raised their heads above the parapet quite significantly in recent times. Does your forum ever experience backlash from meat eaters and if so how do you respond?
Yes, veganism is getting a lot of interest these days. We don't really see any backlash on the forum. This is probably mostly because, for most of its existence, we've only accepted people who are vegan, vegetarian or transitioning to one of those. We've had a few trolls and others who wanted to debate despite our rules, but not so many in recent times.

How radical is your membership? For example how would they respond to a meat eater wanting to engage in sensible debate?
They're mostly all vegans and vegetarians, so I don't think they'd be too happy with that sort of debate as it unfortunately so often deteriorates into insults and worse, which would make it difficult to build a good community.

We now allow meat-eaters as members - this is a recent change to our rules, but as it's our policy to promote veganism, we don't allow the promotion of contrary agendas such as debating for meat consumption.

Is leather ever an option for a vegan?
Well, the Vegan Society says that veganism is "... a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable ..." etcetera. I'd prefer to avoid purchasing and owning any leather, but there can be reasons why a vegan will at times have to purchase items with leather because there are no practical alternatives. For example, as part of a uniform or other workwear that they're required to wear in their profession, or a low-income family who needs a car and can only find ones with leather seats. Leather is considered somewhat less troubling if it's second-hand and therefore doesn't contribute as much towards the marketplace demand.

And finally, totally off-topic, are you still looking an Xenforo licence? If so let me know. I have a number of active licences I'll probably never use. I'd normally let them rot but as a valued member of TAZ I'm quite happy to reach an amicable agreement with you on price. I'm away for a couple of days but let me know if I can help :)
Oh, thank you very much for the offer! I am however about to make an offer on the licence already in use on a forum I'm in the process of acquiring. But I'll get back to you if it doesn't work out, if that's OK :)

Karll

Adherent
- Assuming your revenues are unaffected either way, are you more confortable running forums or do you prefer participating as a regular member ?
I prefer to be an admin, although ideally I would like to have a team of talented co-admins, moderators, designers / artists and PR / SEO experts so that not all responsibility rests solely on me. It gets lonely at the top! Besides, I think better decisions are reached through discussion between experts even if that can take longer and can be frustrating at times. My top skills are, I suppose, on the technical side.

- during your boards' existence, were member donations and premium memberships ever significant and frequent enough to offset your operating costs?
They've never been close to covering all the costs, but they do at least pay for most of my add-on expenses and part of the XF licence renewal. I operate on a shoestring budget, I think, compared to some other forums and websites out there.