Ask me anything - within reason

Chris D

XenForo Developer
None at the moment.

People seem to think that would be easy to do. Unfortunately, general web development including PHP development, those skills aren’t really directly transferable to mobile app development.

To do mobile app development properly, we would need to learn two entirely new languages and platforms from scratch. Java for Android and Swift for iOS.

There are shortcuts. But then there are compromises. And people who want a mobile app certainly don’t want an app that has taken shortcuts and compromises. It won’t be good enough.

vij

Enthusiast
None at the moment.
To do mobile app development properly, we would need to learn two entirely new languages and platforms from scratch. Java for Android and Swift for iOS.
Maybe your development team can be expanded by 33.33% ? A great native mobile app can maybe help enhance interest in forums as much (or more) as all the software magic you do. Maybe a good business decision too...

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Why do you think there is so little emphasis placed on uploaded images? Bandwidth and storage are no longer an issue so don't you think it's about time images where given a bit of developmental TLC. The majority of forums don't even allow me to list, locate or reuse images I've previously loaded. I can bring up a list of a member's posts, why can't I list their uploaded images?

Neutral Singh

SPN Administrator
Developers should probably, and the successful ones tend to, make a name for themselves by starting with smaller, free add-ons and then working on larger projects. Developers should probably also consider making use of "Free" or "Lite" versions of larger, paid add-ons.

This would be just amazing and EPIC, if xF devs could just do what Wordpress devs do! Right now so many great add-ons are priced quite high that an average admin like myself cannot not afford them. Making lite versions would give users like myself a taste of what a Pro versions would be like! and hence would create more oppotunities to generate more sales!

Alpha1

Administrator
Developers should probably, and the successful ones tend to, make a name for themselves by starting with smaller, free add-ons and then working on larger projects. Developers should probably also consider making use of "Free" or "Lite" versions of larger, paid add-ons.
To expand on that, it would be nice if the same addon could be sold under different plans instead of different versions. i.e. free tier, basic tier, premium tier 3. And possibly subscription plans.

we_are_borg

Administrator
I dont think many developers will go for tiers or free plans. Because they need to maintain all scripts and that can be lots of work.

Xon

Developer
In my experience once you offer a visually structured/organized & autorefreshing 'new unread content' stream, then in no time the forum index will be barely used anymore.
Something like 30% of my site page hits are the XF1 watched thread page. This isn't any single user, it is just hit a lot by users.

But I can't rule out it is a small-medium number of users with an auto-refresh script.

Mouth

Enthusiast
Developers should probably also consider making use of "Free" or "Lite" versions of larger, paid add-ons.
it would be nice if the same addon could be sold under different plans instead of different versions. i.e. free tier, basic tier, premium tier 3. And possibly subscription plans.
Though it would seem that the [lack of?] charging functionality that XF provides DEV's is quite onerous, and dissuades/stops many? Eg. https://xenforo.com/community/threads/tpu-detect-and-block-spam-registrations.70418/post-1274651 referring to an XF2 version of a very popular add-on.

Chris D

XenForo Developer
Why would he need to baby sit a payment process? Why would he need to outsource it to another developer, rather than using the same payment process the other developer uses himself? Why could he not simply employ something simple like a paid user upgrade on their own forum like other developers do? Or free services, like FetchApp?

Seems like a very weak excuse, unfortunately. Seems like perhaps he just doesn’t want to continue developing it, to be honest.

Last edited:

southernlady

Devotee
Yes, generally happy but we’ve had a hard few months at home. My wife has been poorly twice with several hospital visits for two different things. I’ve not been around much the last week. We recently found out my wife was pregnant with our second child. Unfortunately, that didn’t work out and she’s had to have an operation to remove the pregnancy last weekend. We’ll get through it and hopefully we’ll have better luck next time.
Chris D I am sorry to hear this. My condolences to you and your wife and daughter.

R0binHood

Habitué
What's the feature you're most excited about for 2.1?

When will we get a new "Have you seen?" thread or video?!

:)

Chris D

XenForo Developer
What's the feature you're most excited about for 2.1?
Nice try ;)

When will we get a new "Have you seen?" thread or video?!

:)
We wanted it by now. We were aiming for a September release but recent stuff has slowed us down.

We completed the server move today so we’re getting through our overall to do list slowly but surely. Hopefully we’ll get some momentum back (especially when we’ve got these pesky next XF1.5/2.0 releases out).

doubt

Tazmanian
We completed the server move today...
"...to a new, very much more powerful server..."
With this powerful new server would it be possible to search for posts from a member or "Your content"
for more than 200?

we_are_borg

Administrator
If you take in to account what you know now with XF2.0 is there anything that you would have tweaked differently, to give it that little bit extra.

Mouth

Enthusiast
Seems like a very weak excuse, unfortunately. Seems like perhaps he just doesn’t want to continue developing it, to be honest.
Perhaps. Maybe it's worth XF reaching out and understanding? It could be indicative of barriers/issues for other dev's?