Are MyBB serious with the 1.8 theme?

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
"At the end of the day, MyBB has been largely declining"

i thought mybb userbase was increasing ? (am i wrong ?)

ps
here
mybb = 9.2 (free)
xenforo = 8.1 (paid)
phpbb = 8.4 (free)
bbpress = 5.5 (free)

http://www.forum-software.org/forum-comparator/bbpress-vs-mybb-vs-phpbb3-vs-xenforo

mybb best (& free)

i left out vbulletin because it seems the consensus of opinion is that people are leaving.

theres plenty of other forum software - some are listed on there and some are not - and it doesnt include all of the features etc that i or anyone else would want included
Increasing? The reason that they rushed 1.8 was mainly due to it declining. I remember when the top subject on their site was about how MyBB was inactive.
Many of the active subjects on MyBB.com are discussions about how great x or y competing forum software is.

And I don't see how a review on a random site (an outdated one) magically causes MyBB's marketshare to go up? I've yet to see a statistics site which doesn't show the marketshare as declining or stagnating. Granted, statistics sites aren't that accurate, but it's alot more accurate than a review.

I'm not saying that MyBB is doomed, but they have alot of work ahead of them with 2.0. Only time will tell. Denying that it's not doing well is silly though..

omg123

Aspirant
"And I don't see how a review on a random site (an outdated one) magically causes MyBB's marketshare to go up?"

it does not say that at all - but it was an answer to something you said.

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
"And I don't see how a review on a random site (an outdated one) magically causes MyBB's marketshare to go up?"

it does not say that at all - but it was an answer to something you said.
I don't understand how it's an answer to anything that I said. I said that MyBB is largely declining.
I don't see how a pro-MyBB review from the 1.6 era counters that.

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
what evidence have you of mybb userbase declining ?
Look around. Does it look like MyBB is booming to you?
If a pseudo-review from the 1.6 era is the best that you can find then, you're just wasting both my time and your time.

I'm growing suspicious of this large number of super low post count / brand new users showing up, so I'll pull out of this discussion for now.

Last edited:

omg123

Aspirant
"I don't understand how it's an answer to anything that I said. I said that MyBB is largely declining.
I don't see how a pro-MyBB review from the 1.6 era counters that."

yes its slightly dated - i'll admit that. (the review that is)

"MyBB is largely declining" - but it has the highest rating on there (that i saw) - these are contradictory.

incidentally :-
dated - the phpbb is from :November, 25 2014" - so therefore it is recent

the mybb rating is for the 1.6 - so if it had of reviewed the 1.8 then it WOULD BE EVEN HIGHER THAN THE 9.2 (the highest)

I don't understand how it's an answer to anything that I said. I said that MyBB is largely declining.
I don't see how a pro-MyBB review from the 1.6 era counters that.

omg123

Aspirant
yes - i know of some mybb forums that have got big using that forum software.

"I'm growing suspicious of this large number of super low post count users showing up, so I'll pull out of this discussion for now"

paranoidforums became available mybb or otherwise.

Look around. Does it look like MyBB is booming to you?
If a pseudo-review from the 1.6 era is the best that you can find then, you're just wasting both my time and your time.

I'm growing suspicious of this large number of super low post count users showing up, so I'll pull out of this discussion for now.

omg123

Aspirant
ps - why dont you list all the specific reasons why you dont like mybb 1.8 - and do a comparison of other forum software - paid & free - i did which was how i came across that comparison link (and others)

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
the mybb rating is for the 1.6 - so if it had of reviewed the 1.8 then it WOULD BE EVEN HIGHER THAN THE 9.2 (the highest)
And what about when we factor in the bugs and security exploits? I've seen afew people get nervous about the security exploits here on TAZ and plenty on other sites / Skype. And a review on some random site doesn't magically push up the marketshare of MyBB. That's not how the world works.

yes - i know of some mybb forums that have got big using that forum software.

"I'm growing suspicious of this large number of super low post count users showing up, so I'll pull out of this discussion for now"

paranoidforums became available mybb or otherwise.
Since you went out of your way to take a jab at me. There has been little discussion about MyBB on here for a while when it comes to does it suck or not and there was some level of consensus for a while.

All of a sudden, these brand new accounts / low post count accounts (I can't be asked to check them all, right now) show up and start preaching how MyBB is booming and not declining due to some review or that the theme doesn't really matter. They make little effort to actually read what I'm saying and you wonder why I think that these are sockpuppets / meatpuppets. Above all, some of these posts just feel outright fake. I made my point back when I discussed 1.8's theme. You guys made yours.

When I say that something is declining then, it usually means marketshare. Low enthusiasm for MyBB doesn't help either.
Good night.

omg123

Aspirant
"And what about when we factor in the bugs and security exploits?"

i thought these were answered with the security updates ?

"And a review on some random site doesn't magically push up the marketshare of MyBB."
not what i said - sorry if you misunderstood - but its clearly not what i said or meant

"All of a sudden, these brand new accounts / low post count accounts (I can't be asked to check them all, right now) show up and start preaching how MyBB is booming and not declining due to some review."

i didnt say or infer it was "boomimg"
or anything of the sort.

omg123

Aspirant
"sockpuppets / meatpuppets"

im not one of these and dont know what they are.

i had a genuine interest in the subject - in fact im also interested (very) in what other people have to say about it - especially people who have used mybb and have used it as well as other forum software/social software.
but previous to seeing this thread i saw a few comparisons (type it into g and a few come up) and thought i would relay that to others who were interested.

omg123

Aspirant
"so I can directly compare them."

why dont you do that then, because i would be interested in an unbiased comparison based on users of the various software

ps
it also says
"November, 25 2014"
so at least that bit is recent - although its not 100 % accurate is it

It can't be THAT recent as they review 1.3.4 of XenForo, which is currently on 1.4.3.
AND to top it off, their ranking just comes from votes - no actual usage statistics drawn by true examination of the use on the net.
And yes, I have a 1.6 site, a 1.8 site and 4 Xenforo 1.4.3 sites running - so I can directly compare them.

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
forum-software.org is a joke and is useless as any form of metric whatsoever.

There are no official statistics on user base or anything, but I definitely agree that it feels like the user base is declining. But then, the same could be said for forums in general in my opinion. None of the official sites seem as active as they once were, and most forums I use seem to be losing active members fast.

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
Actually it appears from my visits, that XenForo has picked up with new user questions in the actual licensed support area. I'm also answering a lot more posts in the Pre-Sale area than I remember as being normal.

I haven't checked in on the XenForo forums for a while, so thanks for the update :) The last time I visited it was a lot quieter than it had been previously.

JoshH99

Team MyBB
Guess I'll break my roughly 2 year silence :p

I'll agree with people that 1.8 isn't that glorious. I'll give that to you. It missed the responsiveness, flat style, and is still lacking a lot of social trends that have come up in the last several years.

However - it's a stopgap. It's not the end of the world. Things will improve with time once plugins get updated (if needed) and re-released on the new mods site.

As for the security issues - the ACP XSS was quite sad because the input wasn't sanitized by the software, and a contributor had an insecure GitHub account. To me personally, contributing to a major project means that you have 2FA on - non-negotiable, so I was disappointed in seeing that happen. But, y'know, it's behind us. The specific attack posed a limited threat because the user would have to be on the version check / dashboard page for quite a good while to actually have a sizable backup finish uploading to the attacker's site.

I'm hoping MyBB 2.0 brings MyBB into the modern era. I'm not counting it out yet. I think the move to a framework and solid template engine will speed up the release of new feature updates, helping it get updated to trends faster in the future.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
Took another look just now. It looks the same as when I gave it a short test six years ago.

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
I'm hoping MyBB 2.0 brings MyBB into the modern era.
Will 2.0 get released anytime soon? We'll see.
It's good to see that they've finally shown some screenshots of a prototype, although it didn't show anything that I haven't seen from the competition.

I honestly didn't think they were going to even show a prototype. I thought they were going to continue the spree of secrecy along with vague hints, so that's a big step forward for MyBB. If 2.0 is anywhere near as rushed as MyBB 1.8 then, it's likely to be a total disaster, so I don't think they can afford to just rush it out the door.

MyBB's in a bit of a tight spot. MyBB 2.0 is effectively on par with the competition by the current plans, and by the time that it comes out.. It's likely to already be fairly dated, however if they rush it then, they'll just have another security fiasco.
As far as 1.8 is concerned, MyBB 1.8 was a massive missed opportunity. They could have taken that chance to take steps towards 2.0, and to introduce a responsive design. With 2.0, it's uncertain when it'll be released, but it'll take years at the very least. As mobile devices become more and more relevant, MyBB will likely be put under greater and greater pressure to get 2.0 out the door.

What they could do is not re-implement every feature in 2.0 immediately, instead some of the less important ones could be deferred to 2.1 or something.