Are MyBB serious with the 1.8 theme?

JoshH99

Team MyBB
Guess I'll break my roughly 2 year silence :p

I'll agree with people that 1.8 isn't that glorious. I'll give that to you. It missed the responsiveness, flat style, and is still lacking a lot of social trends that have come up in the last several years.

However - it's a stopgap. It's not the end of the world. Things will improve with time once plugins get updated (if needed) and re-released on the new mods site.

As for the security issues - the ACP XSS was quite sad because the input wasn't sanitized by the software, and a contributor had an insecure GitHub account. To me personally, contributing to a major project means that you have 2FA on - non-negotiable, so I was disappointed in seeing that happen. But, y'know, it's behind us. The specific attack posed a limited threat because the user would have to be on the version check / dashboard page for quite a good while to actually have a sizable backup finish uploading to the attacker's site.

I'm hoping MyBB 2.0 brings MyBB into the modern era. I'm not counting it out yet. I think the move to a framework and solid template engine will speed up the release of new feature updates, helping it get updated to trends faster in the future.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
Took another look just now. It looks the same as when I gave it a short test six years ago.

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
I'm hoping MyBB 2.0 brings MyBB into the modern era.
Will 2.0 get released anytime soon? We'll see.
It's good to see that they've finally shown some screenshots of a prototype, although it didn't show anything that I haven't seen from the competition.

I honestly didn't think they were going to even show a prototype. I thought they were going to continue the spree of secrecy along with vague hints, so that's a big step forward for MyBB. If 2.0 is anywhere near as rushed as MyBB 1.8 then, it's likely to be a total disaster, so I don't think they can afford to just rush it out the door.

MyBB's in a bit of a tight spot. MyBB 2.0 is effectively on par with the competition by the current plans, and by the time that it comes out.. It's likely to already be fairly dated, however if they rush it then, they'll just have another security fiasco.
As far as 1.8 is concerned, MyBB 1.8 was a massive missed opportunity. They could have taken that chance to take steps towards 2.0, and to introduce a responsive design. With 2.0, it's uncertain when it'll be released, but it'll take years at the very least. As mobile devices become more and more relevant, MyBB will likely be put under greater and greater pressure to get 2.0 out the door.

What they could do is not re-implement every feature in 2.0 immediately, instead some of the less important ones could be deferred to 2.1 or something.

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
Will 2.0 get released anytime soon? We'll see.
It's good to see that they've finally shown some screenshots of a prototype, although it didn't show anything that I haven't seen from the competition.

I honestly didn't think they were going to even show a prototype. I thought they were going to continue the spree of secrecy along with vague hints, so that's a big step forward for MyBB. If 2.0 is anywhere near as rushed as MyBB 1.8 then, it's likely to be a total disaster, so I don't think they can afford to just rush it out the door.

MyBB's in a bit of a tight spot. MyBB 2.0 is effectively on par with the competition by the current plans, and by the time that it comes out.. It's likely to already be fairly dated, however if they rush it then, they'll just have another security fiasco.
As far as 1.8 is concerned, MyBB 1.8 was a massive missed opportunity. They could have taken that chance to take steps towards 2.0, and to introduce a responsive design. With 2.0, it's uncertain when it'll be released, but it'll take years at the very least. As mobile devices become more and more relevant, MyBB will likely be put under greater and greater pressure to get 2.0 out the door.

What they could do is not re-implement every feature in 2.0 immediately, instead some of the less important ones could be deferred to 2.1 or something.
We're aware of the competition (I take a healthy interest in watching them and own licences for several paid solutions) and what they're doing. We have no plans to rush MyBB 2.0 and will be having several alphas and betas before the initial Release Candidate. This will allow us to iron out any bugs and niggles before the release, much like IPS are doing with 4.0.

BioWarfare

The uphill battle
I actually really like 1.8 but MyBB is the only forum software I've thoroughly used, so my opinion is biased. I am more comfortable with MyBB than any other forum software, and I doubt I'll ever give XF, IPBoard, or VB a go because I'm so loyal to MyBB.

It's not like I have only used MyBB either though. I have a forum with Discourse and had another with VanillaBB. Still like MyBB. :)