Anyone playing around with YouTube Channels at all?

DigNap15

Enthusiast
I've only just joined this forum.
I thought it was for serious discussion.
My first post and I've had two facetious comments.
I replied to this thread as someone was asking about Youtube

As I said my real girlfriend watches some you tube channels and their owners have over one million subscribers and I think they are making a good income. From Youtube ads, and affiliate link marketing.
Someone above in this thread has 15 subs
I myself watch history, photography and guitar channels.

DigNap15

Enthusiast
And Tecca above has 2,000 subs.
These girls have 750,000 and over 1 million subs, and there are quite a few of them.

overcast

Adherent
From what I have seen once you cross 100K sub income is like 1200USD or more from the channel.

zoldos

Lord Malleus
I've only just joined this forum.
I thought it was for serious discussion.
My first post and I've had two facetious comments.
I replied to this thread as someone was asking about Youtube

As I said my real girlfriend watches some you tube channels and their owners have over one million subscribers and I think they are making a good income. From Youtube ads, and affiliate link marketing.
Someone above in this thread has 15 subs
I myself watch history, photography and guitar channels.
I'm very proud of my 14 subs. :D Anyway, I was just playing around with you. I'm sure there is plenty of money to be made on YT, but I'm in it for fun, not income.

Karll

Adherent
I watch a good bit of YT videos, usually history and politics. YT is also my source of music.

I have been thinking maybe I should make some videos myself, though I haven't been really seriously considering it. Not until I read the comment about making a decent income!

R0binHood

Habitué
I watch a good bit of YT videos, usually history and politics.
History channels have been having trouble getting demonetised recently haven't they? I heard one of the big history channels has made is own site and pay walled his unlisted YouTube vids to try and make it work.

DigNap15

Enthusiast
As opposed to your fake g/f? lol
No. my real g/f watches Youtube videos as she does not like mainstream tv or netflix series.
She loves fashion and make up and cooking etc.
So that is what she watches on youtube.

DigNap15

Enthusiast
History channels have been having trouble getting demonetised recently haven't they? I heard one of the big history channels has made is own site and pay walled his unlisted YouTube vids to try and make it work.
Yes, that's very sad, due to Google and Youtube extreme censorship policies.
The same with some music channels, you cannot even play 5 seconds from AC/DC
And yet Google put up whole movies on Youtube!
Hypocrites.

zoldos

Lord Malleus
ot until I read the comment about making a decent income!
I wouldn't make that your new career choice. It's extremely difficult to do that unless you are a hot girl, or already have millions of subs. :(

zoldos

Lord Malleus
No. my real g/f watches Youtube videos as she does not like mainstream tv or netflix series.
She loves fashion and make up and cooking etc.
So that is what she watches on youtube.
My real g/f likes Youtube as well.

Smokey

Enthusiast
Yeah, I got one for my personal channel and one for my site, i think i'll focus on the site youtube and make it more like a community channel.

cheat_master30

Yeah, I have a YouTube channel for my own site as well. Don't really do too much with it (bar uploading videos of bugs in games, trailers, etc), but it seems to be doing okay subscriber wise. Just passed 15,000 subscribers a few days ago.

Either way, based on my interviews with major gaming YouTubers, plus some chats I've had elsewhere:

Consistency is really important when it comes to get subscribers, at least on a decent level. Only a few decently successful channels I know of have videos posted at semi random/with long stretches of empty time in between (namely the Internet Historian and Particular Mushroom), whereas the vast majority of breakout hits have videos either daily or weekly.

Living off YouTube revenue is extremely difficult, at least if you're under some really high number of subscribers. 30,000 susbcribers won't cut it; the two people I know who live off YouTube at that level both rely on Patreon for extra income and do other things to keep their costs low (like in one case, living in rural China rather than the US or Europe). 50,000 probably won't do it either. Hell, even 100,000 subscribers would be a tough amount to live in for many people, and it certainly won't make you rich if the people I know with that number are any indication. So you'd need millions if you want a celebrity lifestyle, and hundreds of thousands for a fairly normal one.

You also need to find other ways of monetising your work other than YouTube too.Monetisation there is bad enough that almost every popular YouTuber either has sponsors directly working with them, a very popular Patreon account with a large number of people donating monthly, or has someone translated their fame into a publishing career/speaking career/z-list TV career. This goes double for those talking about controversial topics, or doing stuff that may or may not be 100% legal.

Finally, it seems the two ways of becoming big on the channel are:

A: Find a niche, stick to it religiously and become the number 1 authority there

B: Get your audience to care about you as a person rather than the particular things you're covering in your videos

Someone like Pannenkoek2012 or Stryder7x is an example of the former, only covering Super Mario 64 and Paper Mario 1 respectively. Someone like PewDiePie or Markiplier or JonTron or whoever is the latter.

But yeah, just some thoughts on the whole YouTube thing based on things YouTubers have said to me in interviews and what not.

zoldos

Lord Malleus
I have like 20 subscribers. I make videos for fun, not income, so I'm not worried about it. Although, a few thousand subs would be cool one day. :D

Lizzie Johannah

Aspirant
I do use YouTube channels with all of my sites and forums. I find that it helps traffic to have as many different platforms for people to find your site through. Word of mouth is a great weapon, so the more the merrier. You just have to be active on all platforms which is a pain in the butt.