Anyone dislike seeing sites overrun with spam?

cheat_master30

Like for example, forums on otherwise active sites where the staff haven't bothered to maintain them and the whole thing has become completely overrun with spambots and other crap?

Or where the same thing happens to blog comments, wikis, etc, because the site owners apparently can't be bothered to moderate it or install anti spam add ons?

It kind of annoys me, and it makes me wonder; why would you leave your site looking like that?

Amaury

Habitué
As long as it's cleaned up within a reasonable amount of time, I don't care.

cheat_master30

As long as it's cleaned up within a reasonable amount of time, I don't care.
In this case, we're not talking a reasonable amount of time. We're talking no clean up for weeks or even months.

If it was up for only a few hours or a day, that wouldn't be as bad...

ozzy47

Tazmanian Veteran
I can't stand to see it at all, much less a site that is basically ran by the spammers.

Justin

*Insert witty title here*
So basically what you're asking is for TAZ to turn off all anti-spam settings and put our moderators on a weeks vacation?

:p

After a whole week...most users would probably cry for TAZ.

DirtRider

bah humbug
Even one spam post gets me screaming and that is how much I hate spam :mad: :D

Sapett

Aspirant
I don't like to see it. It makes me sad. A place that used to be alive is now dead and left for the bots.

Amaury

Habitué
In this case, we're not talking a reasonable amount of time. We're talking no clean up for weeks or even months.

If it was up for only a few hours or a day, that wouldn't be as bad...
What about those cases where you go to bed and you wake seven to nine hours later to find lots of spam? It's not a problem on KH-Flare since I've got two really great moderators who take care of that when I or the other admins/moderators aren't on. Plus, they live in Australia (one temporary), so they're on while most of us are sleeping.

EternalJamie

Aspirant
I hate it, too.

Especially when it is mostly the only activity around, and it's the same spam garbage, usually pharmacy scam advertising made by Soviet-based spam bots.

It's fun when people for a while turn spammer threads into general discussion threads. I once done it with a kitchen spam post.

Though it does show whether you'd want to register or not because of moderator competency.

GTB

Tazmanian
Don't really care if it's not my forum overrun by it. :D

Well, unless I use the forum for posting on. Then yes, it would make me say something to owner about it if they keep letting it happen and don't seem bothered.

Last edited:

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
The worst is when it's a old forum that you used to love, and your beloved old topics from back in the day are getting pushed down by ads for penis drugs and counterfeit sports shoes.

lordi

Adherent
hate it so much
I had a favorite forum after awhile filled with spam topic
I never return again