VPS Any thoughts on this VPS package?

sbjsbj

Fan
I don't mind learning, but if I have to take huge amounts of time out to learn and to keep the maintenance up then I would not do it.
If you invest 2 or 3 full days, I am definitely sure you can manage a server like we "noobs" do, thanks to eva2000 .

https://centminmod.com/install.html

Basically what the learn curve is that you have to use a SSH client. It means you must put commands into the screen, instead of clicking buttons and stuff.
If you grasp that, then you basically can run a server thanks to centminmod.

You just download it to your server. Then install it using 1 or 2 commands (which are listed in the link). Done. Then you have a menu where you basically need only number 2 after the centmin installation to be able to setup your forum. If you wanted to upgrade the php version of the server, the menu takes care of it and it is easy. But normally everything is pre-configured.
But if you also need mail client, additional security stuff or additional stuff like a wordpress instalation or whatever, you need to do some stuff more. The site explains many popular stuff. And there is a forum to discuss or ask things.

By doing that you can run a very speedy XF forum for example on a VPS for just 3-10 bucks (Hetzner's lowest package is more than enough for small sites).

But it will take 2-3 days to read into the centmin stuff, to learn linux commands. With centminmod you can easily upgrade php, mariadb or other stuff if you need to.

we_are_borg

Administrator
As easy as that? So that would mean that I have php installed, databases, apache (or whatever lol) and I just get on with transferring my domains and sites over and that's it? If so, then I'll be contacting them on Monday - their sales team don't work weekends for servers, only support.

;)

Well depending on what you want its real easy for me the hardest part was getting bind9/named to work 100% after that its easy. If you want for example php 5.x and 7.2 then you goto tools>Update & upgrades and select from there what you want to run you can instal many or one. Below that setting you have if there are updates how the system should react i have install plesk updates, system updates and third party on automatic, no need to press anything. Let’s encrypt certificate is download plugin and install certificate nothing hard on that. If you want FastCGI application served by Apache, FPM application served by Apache or FPM application served by nginx its just select click save and wait 10 sec and done. You want to force https in your domein one press to a check box and you have seo-safe 301 redirect. Its real easy plesk hardest part is to remember where is what.

Maddox

Habitué
I don't mind a learning curve as long as it's not months lol. I pick things up pretty quickly when they're presented in a logical order and I make notes of things that are a 'must' within that order. So, it all sounds very interesting. The one thing I missed on the 1and1 site, how I don't know as it's something they kind of shout at you on numerous pages and is their mantra, is that you can try everything for 1 month and if it's not for you you can cancel and any fees you pay (other than for domain names) will be refunded.

upload_2018-4-28_8-26-25.png

Looking forward to see how this all works out.

;)

we_are_borg

Administrator
The learning curve is how to use Google there is lots of info on Plesk. Like i said if 1&1 do the setup and you use external dns like Godaddy its easy, internal dns (run it your self) is a bit harder. If you need help team viewer is great for this.

Maddox

Habitué
I'm preparing a list of questions for 1and1 when I call them. If all the boxes are ticked then I'm good to go.

;)

Matthew S

Adherent
My personal opinions: I agree that managing things yourself is great, but...

Be prepared to spend both money and time to give it a real chance. One month risk free is great, but you aren't really going to see or experience everything that will trigger go/no go for you in that time. Don't rush to migrate over. Set up demo.yoursite.com and try doing restores and backups. Set up a new site and maybe try installing some script you've had your eye on but never got around to before. Experience the hands on part of it all. Ease yourself in.

As an aside, MariaDB has given me a couple of headaches along the way. I have had to solve the issues by getting under the hood and getting my hands dirty. There's no way my panel would have been sufficient to resolve things.

Most of the time, things are golden. You've expressed a reluctance to self manage, so please, go in with your eyes open. :tup:

Solidus

Stupid machines!
Not sure how mariadb gives anyone headaches being a drop in replacement for mysql.
Maddox, you should consider spending $6 on a backupsy vps too, rsync backups to it nightly and you'll have no concerns.

Maddox

Habitué
Maddox, you should consider spending $6 on a backupsy vps too, rsync backups to it nightly and you'll have no concerns.

This is from the FAQs on the VPS server on 1and1:

Is there a backup and recovery solution for my virtual server on Windows and Linux?

1&1 offers two options for creating a server backup on both Windows and Linux: for one, you can use the "professional backup" feature already included in your vServer to secure your data. Furthermore, for a small additional charge, you can create an image of your server which is saved on a separate storage space.

I can't find out what this small additional charge is, but I assume that this becomes available once you sign up.

;)

Solidus

Stupid machines!

This is from the FAQs on the VPS server on 1and1:

Is there a backup and recovery solution for my virtual server on Windows and Linux?

1&1 offers two options for creating a server backup on both Windows and Linux: for one, you can use the "professional backup" feature already included in your vServer to secure your data. Furthermore, for a small additional charge, you can create an image of your server which is saved on a separate storage space.

I can't find out what this small additional charge is, but I assume that this becomes available once you sign up.

;)

Not sure what entails, but storing separate database and site files backups in a different datacenter and ideally city is nice.

Maddox

Habitué
I'll ask about this backup feature when I call them tomorrow.

;)

Matthew S

Adherent
Not sure how mariadb gives anyone headaches being a drop in replacement for mysql.

Mariadb 10.1
Code:
java.sql.SQLException: Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes|Query is: ALTER TABLE gitbucket.COMMIT_STATUS ADD CONSTRAINT IDX_COMMIT_STATUS_1 UNIQUE (USER_NAME, REPOSITORY_NAME, COMMIT_ID, CONTEXT)

Upgrade manually to later version.
Code:
java.sql.SQLException: Index column size too large. The maximum column size is 767 bytes.|Query is: ALTER TABLE gitbucket.COMMIT_STATUS ADD CONSTRAINT IDX_COMMIT_STATUS_1 UNIQUE (USER_NAME, REPOSITORY_NAME, COMMIT_ID, CONTEXT)

And
Code:
# tail -f /var/log/mysql/error.log
2018-04-26 22:05:03 140269764445952 [Warning] Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) 
2018-04-26 22:06:33 140269764445952 [Warning] 'user' entry 'root@localhost' has both a password and an authentication plugin specified. The password will be ignored.

Some manual database commands needed to be run to resolve. Not the first time I've had this with mariadb. Apparently not a thing in mysql. *shrug*

eva2000

Habitué
Some manual database commands needed to be run to resolve. Not the first time I've had this with mariadb. Apparently not a thing in mysql. *shrug*

Another documented item
Looks like it's specific to Ubuntu as i don't get this on CentOS i.e. https://stackoverflow.com/questions...calhost-has-both-the-password-will-be-ignored

Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes
Need to read MySQL documentation - yes Oracle MySQL docs also outline this ! My Centmin Mod LEMP stack uses MariaDB so some folks run into this https://community.centminmod.com/th...ge-the-maximum-column-size-is-767-bytes.9669/

Are you using latin1, utf8 or utf8mb4 charset for MariaDB MySQL. If using utf8mb4 read official documentation for why you need to carefully go through all databases and ensure the max key prefix index sizes are within InnoDB limits outlined at MySQL :: MySQL 5.6 Reference Manual :: 14.8.8 Limits on InnoDB Tables

By default, the index key prefix length limit is 767 bytes. See Section 13.1.13, “CREATE INDEX Syntax”. For example, you might hit this limit with a column prefix index of more than 255 characters on a TEXT or VARCHAR column, assuming a utf8mb3 character set and the maximum of 3 bytes for each character. When the innodb_large_prefix configuration option is enabled, the index key prefix length limit is raised to 3072 bytes for InnoDB tables that use DYNAMIC or COMPRESSED row format.

Attempting to use an index key prefix length that exceeds the limit returns an error. To avoid such errors in replication configurations, avoid enabling innodb_large_prefix on the master if it cannot also be enabled on slaves.

The limits that apply to index key prefixes also apply to full-column index keys.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/charset-unicode-conversion.html
InnoDB has a maximum index length of 767 bytes for tables that use COMPACT or REDUNDANT row format, so for utf8 or utf8mb4 columns, you can index a maximum of 255 or 191 characters, respectively. If you currently have utf8 columns with indexes longer than 191 characters, you must index a smaller number of characters.

Nothing wrong with MariaDB or Oracle MySQL comes down to how it's configured and how your database structure is laid out i.e. index length of your columns paying attention to your default character set and InnoDB table row format configured. Reading official documentation manuals helps ;) :)

FYI, for Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 and higher LEMP stack users, I have also made innodb_default_row_format default to DYNAMIC row format for new installs only as at today - so no more 767 byte limit errors for index length as Centmin Mod MariaDB 10.1 default to Barracuda file format with innodb_large_prefix enabled already. So max index length increases from 767 bytes to 3072 bytes https://community.centminmod.com/th...-default-for-innodb_default_row_format.14654/ :)

Last edited:

Matthew S

Adherent
So, all that basically reaffirms the point I was making to Maddox : sometimes you have to get your hands dirty when you self manage. It's not all unicorns and rainbows, even though it's not hard to learn. If what eva2000 posted above doesn't make any sense, take it slow on moving over.

Need to read MySQL documentation - yes Oracle MySQL docs also outline this !
I was going according to the application docs (mysql supported, mariadb -maybe-), but in any case, Debian no longer uses mysql, so not sure why I would go digging though docs of a dbms I don't use. :)

Maddox

Habitué
When it comes to choosing operating systems which would be better to work with mariadb, or is there no difference?

This is the list of options given:

Ubuntu 16.04
Ubuntu 14.04
CentOS 7
CentOS 6
Debian 9
Debian 8

They also mention this:
  • More than just a control panel – all you know and love about Plesk 12.5 remains the same – just get the new ONYX features on top

sometimes you have to get your hands dirty when you self manage

I don't mind this at all, providing the end result is worth the effort. As I mentioned, I've always used shared hosting and never had to deal with anything at server level. I suppose the nearest I got to it, if it can be called so, was when I hosted with nimbus for a year. It worked and was fine but the cost became prohibitive, I'd go back with them in a flash but for the cost.

;)

we_are_borg

Administrator
I would go for Ubuntu 16.04 that is Long Term Support and Ubuntu is better in new releases with PHP and MySQL with CentOS it can take a little longer but its not bad at all. Another issue is that CentOS has a different structure then Debian and Ubuntu so there is more information on those two. If its Plesk with Onyx then its not bad at all Onyx is easier then 12.5

With Ubuntu and Plesk there is no real effort it all visual and you only need the CLI for some issues but the commands you can find online. Updating can be done automatically and PHP is nothing more then installing a new version all in a GUI.

KnownHost

Participant
When it comes to choosing operating systems which would be better to work with mariadb, or is there no difference?

Ubuntu 16.04
Ubuntu 14.04
CentOS 7
CentOS 6
Debian 9
Debian 8

;)

If you're going with Plesk I would go with CentOS 7. Ubuntu is good, but the 16.04 LTS version is going to hit EOL (end of life) April 2021, where-as CentOS7 will hit EOL June 2024.

Most people when they get servers don't migrate/upgrade/move so the longer you can stay 'current' without swapping the base OS out the less overall work you have over the years.

Maddox

Habitué
Thanks for the advice everyone - I spoke to 1and1 today and they pretty much answered my questions (they recommended Windows at first, but I said no-way so they fell back to CentOS), but there must have been something wrong with the connection as it ended up all garbled before we finished. I'll give them another call tomorrow, but it all looks good so-far.

;)

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent

Ubuntu 16.04
Ubuntu 14.04
CentOS 7
CentOS 6
Debian 9
Debian 8

They also mention this:
  • More than just a control panel – all you know and love about Plesk 12.5 remains the same – just get the new ONYX features on top

I don't mind this at all, providing the end result is worth the effort. As I mentioned, I've always used shared hosting and never had to deal with anything at server level. I suppose the nearest I got to it, if it can be called so, was when I hosted with nimbus for a year. It worked and was fine but the cost became prohibitive, I'd go back with them in a flash but for the cost.

;)

This is exactly the predicament that I am currently in with Nimbus. Outstanding customer service, but the cost to hardware ratio when my forum doesnt generate anything is getting to its limit.

Brilliant thread BTW, I am in the same sort of boat, very much of the same skill set on servers so have just signed up to Digital Ocean (free $100 credit for 60 days to play around with)