Any experts on Azure/MS Office 365 and removing a domain/email?

AdamD

Devotee
Hey all,

I'm not even sure what the topic should be as it seems to be a single issue covering a whole bunch of Microsoft's services.

Basically here in the UK I signed up with a British company (BT) business fibre service back in 2016, as part of that package, I was granted access to Microsoft's 365 Office Essentials stuff, which I've never used as I already had the full premium package anyways through my stepfathers account.

I left BT's fibre service in 2017, but despite leaving, a personal email on my domain is still tied to the MS 365 service and despite multiple complaints and emails they seem unable to remove me from the 365 subscription service.
It wasn't really a major issue until just recently when I started getting a ton of emails from Microsoft about service updates, I've had about 20 in the last two weeks alone.
The problem is I can't unsubscribe as they're service emails, I can't remove my domain or email because it says I can't leave the home organization (BT Group PLC) and I can't delete the account as it's managed by BT.
There doesn't seem to be a way to remove myself from the group at all, I've gone into every FAQ and Knowledgebase article I can find and it all seems to say only the partner can do it (BT again).
I'm waiting yet again to hear from BT on the issue, but I'm genuinely getting tired of all the back and forth.

2022-03-25 (4).png
2022-03-25 (2).png

FTL

Adherent
Ah, BT and their legendary terrible customer service strikes again. This reminds me of why I left them all those years ago and never looked back.

Since BT are being uncooperative, then what about blocking those service emails at your email client / webmail? Just be sure to set up the filter carefully, so that it doesn't block service emails from the other Microsoft subscription that you're keeping.

AdamD

Devotee
Ah yes, I use Google's legacy free gsuite for my personal domain, for some reason I thought it was auto forwarding unaddressed emails to my main email account, but it looks like I setup an alias way back in 2016
So that's fixed the email issue, but I still want to be removed from BT's group, so will wait to see what they say...again.

Reactions: FTL

FTL

Adherent
Good luck. Unfortunately, when it comes to BT customer service roadblocks, I don't have any suggestions. It's because I got screwed over by them a couple of times and couldn't get them to reverse it that I left them. Awful company.

FTL

Adherent
Thinking about it, you could try contacting Microsoft and seeing if they can do anything. I'm not hopeful, but I think it's worth a try.

AdamD

Devotee
Thanks :) yea I'll give that a shot if I don't get any success on Monday.

Reactions: FTL

zappaDPJ

Administrator
AdamD have you tried poking BT with their privacy policy? Your email is considered Personally Identifiable Information (PII) so it might get you the required result.

Have a read though the linked page below which states: You can ask us to correct, complete, delete or stop using any personal information we hold about you by using our online form here.

AdamD

Devotee
Thanks Zappa, I was hoping they would be competent enough to fix the issue quickly, but as FLT said, it's BT after all.
I'll go down the privacy/info route next week if they still haven't fixed it by Friday.

Oldsmoboi

Fan
Do this for a living on the other side of the pond. What you'll need to do is find a replacement for BT and then have BT transfer your M365 tenant to them. The replacement for BT may be able to help with this, but it's going to be a gigantic headache and BT may not allow it at all. That's assuming you want to keep the e-mail/domain at all. Otherwise, you'll want to privacy claim the hell out of them.

The only full-proof solution that lets you keep the address is to PST export the mailbox, have BT close/cancel the account entirely, set up your own M365 tenant, recreate the account, and PST import.