Any big boards here switching to Discourse?

l3ta

Participant
Brace yourself. I’ve set up a demo site to test it out and it requires Linux sever admin skills from command line. Much more advanced to get up and running than a php/MySQL platform.

I am too in a sense. I run an entertainment forum though and I’m wondering if Discourse is going to appeal more to the social media generation.

I also saw that CloudFlare uses it but I don’t love their implementation. I think the video game development company Blizzard knocked it out of the park though.https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/
Oh my goodness! That level of complexity is beyond me. I guess I would need to rope me a SysAdmin :geek: :LOL:

TLChris

Administrator
Blizzard forums look great, seems like the found the right balance, and feel of the classic forums along with the new tech.

Ingenious

Fan
I spent a little while today looking more seriously at Discourse to see if it might meet our future needs after reading this thread and remembering that I liked the look/feel of it (see my post above). However... unless I am missing something, I installed the Discourse app on my iPad and it was underwhelming to say the least. It did not give me a list of forums I could browse or join, just a list of three of the most popular (one was a car forum), so I had to already know the address of the forum I wanted to type into the search area.

When I clicked on the car forum then, it warned me that my personal data would be shared with them if I continued, without clarifying what data specifically, so I declined. Then the list of forums just defaults to that one car forum and nothing else.

Undeterred I entered the Discourse own forum (it's in grey as the default address) and it took me there. But it opens in a small window centre screen without an option to expand it, so looks worse than a responsive web-based forum. So aside from the notifications I am not sure I can see much advantage to using it.

So maybe each big forum has an independent discourse app? Can anyone recommend any to try so I can see this on mobile?

Like many, having an ability to send notifications to ALL users (that includes iOS!!) instead of unreliable and outdated email is hugely important. I work around it in XF 1.x by using a Pushover app, but this is not available on XF2 and upgrading will therefore be a step backwards.

Aspirant
Ingenious, the app is not the same as TapaTalk. There's no way to find forums in there without first knowing the URL. I don't see this is as negative. They are not a forum search engine.

As for personal data being shared, that's just a prompt to cover the fact that you're about to log in through the app. Not a big deal unless I'm missing something.

As for big forums having independent apps. Maybe they do. That's the case with forums using other platforms too. There are many big forums that use Discourse that just use the default app though. It's pretty simple to use.

Ingenious

Fan
Thanks 007 - do you (or anyone here) recommend any URLs to have a look at then to see what it can do?

Aspirant
Thanks 007 - do you (or anyone here) recommend any URLs to have a look at then to see what it can do?
Try checking out this list of sites using it. There are many: https://www.wappalyzer.com/technologies/discourse

Its the installation part that is painful for me.
I found the installation to be the easy part. It was the importing part that's more difficult as the current import scripts are not as complete as I'd like them to be, so I'm working to modify the one I'm using for my needs and to import more data than what it brings in by default.