Anti virus

Ashley S

Adherent
My 1 year subscription with McAfee has run out.
Not sure if to renew for £49.99 or choose a free anti virus software?

Any ideas, suggestions then please let me know.
Thank you.

ManagerJosh

Adherent
All antivirus is pretty much the same. Until they stop using signatures, they are pretty much worthless.

doubt

Tazmanian
Windows Defender is built into the latest versions of Windows and helps guard your PC against viruses and other malware.

For a PC running an older version of Windows 7, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials for the low, low price of free.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Kaspersky user here and it has been a phenomenally wonderful program.
I use it with Malwarebytes Anti-malware and haven't had a virus or malware issue in close to 2 years now.

J.

Tip: Search eBay for Kaspersky and you're likely to find some awesome discounts :)

steve00

IPB Skinner
Personally I use Bullguard Intenet Securiity

Been using for at least 5 years now and can be obtained cheaply (as can the renewals ... just paid £7 to renew for 1 year on 3 PC's)

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
Avira, Panda, Emsisoft, Avast (I know some are touchy about them) are rather good. I'd pickup a MalwareBytes Premium subscription, too. If you want to be really secure, make sure to get a software with a good HIPS system built in that monitors and locks certain areas of the computer where viruses, trojans and malware can wreck havoc. I believe Emsisoft offers this, but if you don't want to, you can use Comodo Firewall and fine tune it. It's not for the faint of heart.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
At work I use SEP and at home I use Kaspersky :)
What are Symantec charging per deployed computer? They're not even in our interest because they're terrible. We're currently on McAffee Endpoint, but our contract with them runs out in January. We're looking at signing a contract with ESET or Avast Endpoint + Malwarebytes Endpoint + EMET. Currently using EMET but since MS extended the support date, we can still use it. Druva's been a fantastic company in backups and extended security since we began our contract with them. Plus, they all behave nicely with our Oracle software. Nothing short of magical. :einstein:

Redundancy is key. Overkill is an intelligent move. :ninja:

Danielx64

Developer
What are Symantec charging per deployed computer? They're not even in our interest because they're terrible. We're currently on McAffee Endpoint, but our contract with them runs out in January. We're looking at signing a contract with ESET or Avast Endpoint + Malwarebytes Endpoint + EMET. Currently using EMET but since MS extended the support date, we can still use it. Druva's been a fantastic company in backups and extended security since we began our contract with them.
We are paying $8 a pop.

Because where I am working is a not for profit we can get a huge discount for many software (including Microsoft). I would have gone with ESET myself but the price to do so would at lease double. I also like the corp version of Kaspersky and the price is up the roof for that as well.

Not much I can do when dealing with a not for profit sadly.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
Because where I am working is a not for profit we can get a huge discount for many software (including Microsoft). I would have gone with ESET myself but the price to do so would at lease double. I also like the corp version of Kaspersky and the price is up the roof for that as well.

Not much I can do when dealing with a not for profit sadly.
Don't think we can swing ourselves as a non-profit. Sad how they still want to charge. Understandable in this day and age, but still surprising. My issue with Kaspersky is that people figured out it called home every so often apart from a license check. These same servers accessible by the government there. Given the plausibility in a foreign nation tampering with US elections, you could say I don't want Kaspersky near our files anytime soon.

Danielx64

Developer
Don't think we can swing ourselves as a non-profit. Sad how they still want to charge. Understandable in this day and age, but still surprising. My issue with Kaspersky is that people figured out it called home every so often apart from a license check. These same servers accessible by the government there. Given the plausibility in a foreign nation tampering with US elections, you could say I don't want Kaspersky near our files anytime soon.
For us it cost $200 per year to run SEP. If we were to go with:
ESET Home Office Security Pack it would cost $442.56 for the first year.
ESET Small Business Security Pack would cost us $574.00 for the first year.

Craigles700

Enthusiast
I have been using Sophos for a couple years and works well for me. I started out with the free version and eventually switched to the paid. Prior to that I used Microsoft security essentials without any issues.

You could always switch over from the dark side to Linux. ;)

phatcows

Adherent
for example https://bestantiviruspro.org/
IF they give objective 5 stars for some antivirus - you can use it.
For this they make a reviews
On their About Us page:
Note that our partnerships and referral ties to products and corporations that we rate do not affect our final verdicts.

I highly doubt this is true. You wouldn't rate a partner product lower if you were trying to profit from it...

Nerdface

Aspirant
I'm using Avast Free at home in combination with MalwareBytes Free.. Problems have been few and far between.

H-DB

Enthusiast
As an Admin I would never use free malware or virus software. I use Bitdefender and Malwarebytes paid versions that scan in realtime.