Anti Adblock script

winky8300

Aspirant
Hello
I am using an Anti Adblock script, but it does block some browser extensions, I would like to know if there is a more efficient script that I could force members to disable their ad blockers
thank you in advance for your help

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Just so you know, people don't just use ad-blockers to prevent ads, they also use them as a security measure because ad networks can and do serve malware (including Google's own Adsense has done so before now)

Don't know about anyone else but if I see a 'disable your adblocker' message, I just leave and go find another site, because I'm not putting my machine at risk for anyone.

winky8300

Aspirant
Hello thanks for your answer, i understand your reasoning and I respect your opinion but as a publisher i need this script.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
There are scripts that can counter ad blockers but you can counter the counter script. If you have people that block ads ask you’re self why and how to get people involved. Its cheaper to block users in a way that they cant get extra’s then block the counter script.

winky8300

Aspirant
it seems to me that I did not ask for an illegal thing, I wanted to help each other with the members and I felt that is the purpose of the site.
But hey, I'm sorry for this inconvenience I didn't think it offended your sensitivity.
no hard feelings.
problem solved !!

Deathstarr

Forum Owner
I sell ad space sp they do not come up as ads but images. This is one ways.

Offer paid membership to remove the ads. Put a message on your forum that seeing the ads supports your forum in ways to pay for hosting, designs, graphics, and more. Which it does.

zappaDPJ

it seems to me that I did not ask for an illegal thing, I wanted to help each other with the members and I felt that is the purpose of the site.
But hey, I'm sorry for this inconvenience I didn't think it offended your sensitivity.
no hard feelings.
problem solved !!

Ads and ad blocking has always been a sensitive issue. I don't think anyone here is offended, they are just talking from a user's perspective.

As a user I've fairly recently installed an ad-blocker and like others find myself navigating away from the sites that block me. It is a valid observation. However I'm also a forum owner so I understand what you are trying to achieve.

Your problem in short is that it's not unlike a dog chasing it's tail. You really need to look for something that's being constantly updated in order to stay one step ahead but it's hard to recommend anything without knowing which platform you are running on.

KimmiKat

Fan
Some sites are real bad on the ads, like on news sites. And there's been stores malware has been delivered on those. I think Forbes's site was affected awhile back.

Just so you know, people don't just use ad-blockers to prevent ads, they also use them as a security measure because ad networks can and do serve malware (including Google's own Adsense has done so before now)

Don't know about anyone else but if I see a 'disable your adblocker' message, I just leave and go find another site, because I'm not putting my machine at risk for anyone.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
I wanted to help each other with the members and I felt that is the purpose of the site.
We are about helping each other. What people are telling you is those types of ads are not as useful as they once were. Users have gotten tired of them and bad players have made them suspect for many. Ad blockers are becoming more common. We need to find new ways of generating income from our forums.

ThornInYourSide

Enthusiast
Another thing I'm fully and completely opposed to. If you have an anti-adblockler script, to me that means you're sniffing me and invading my privacy. I'll block your blocker if I can and if not, I will not return to your site. Your efforts to increase revenues by forciing your blocker on me will backfire by keeping me (and who knows how many others ) away.

Personally, I think blocker sniffers should be illegal.

Joel R

Habitué
Hello
I am using an Anti Adblock script, but it does block some browser extensions, I would like to know if there is a more efficient script that I could force members to disable their ad blockers
thank you in advance for your help
What platform are you using? Is it WordPress or a forum like Invision?

I know for certain enterprise sites on Invision Community, they use Admiral, which is used by some of the largest publishers in the world.

But I would say you would have an easier time finding the answer in your platforms third party ecosystem.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
FFS Why can't people just answer a simple question anymore?

I've used https://www.detectadblock.com/ to detect adblockers with success. Super simple code to implement.
Because that presumes that every question is worthy of an answer, that there are no moral or ethical problems with the question, and that the question is not based on a faulty premise.

I would argue that at least one of those applies to the “simple question”.

TheComputerGuy

Adherent
Because that presumes that every question is worthy of an answer, that there are no moral or ethical problems with the question, and that the question is not based on a faulty premise.

I would argue that at least one of those applies to the “simple question”.
You decided that your opinion was worthy for us to spend our time reading. So what you’re saying is hogwash. We get it, people don’t like adblockers or anti adblockers, however it’s up to individuals how they want to serve their communities. Don’t like it? Start your own.