Animated Smileys?

Acorn

Neophyte
Hi

I have recently taken over as admin on a SMF board (2.0.13). I have lots of experience with phpBB, but next to none with SMF.

Our members are asking for animated smileys. I can see how to add new smileys, but there is something at the back of my mind telling me that they have to be .png files and therefore can't be animated. Is this the case? If so, is there any way of adding animated smileys?

Many thanks.

Last edited:

TLChris

Administrator
Animated smileys would need to be a gif extension - often times they may want a png these days to shorten load time, etc...but shouldn't be required.

Acorn

Neophyte
I suppose I should just try! I'm still a bit scared of the admin panel and unfamiliar software to be honest. :rolleyes:

Acorn

Neophyte
You are absolutely right! No problem whatsoever.

I did find the post where the previous admin said we couldn't have them though. :unsure:

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Animated smileys would need to be a gif extension - often times they may want a png these days to shorten load time, etc...but shouldn't be required.
apng is another animated format, although a very rare one, so SMF may not support it.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Hi

I have recently taken over as admin on a SMF board (2.0.13). I have lots of experience with phpBB, but next to none with SMF.

Welcome to TAZ Acorn :)

Your forum is currently running on an insecure version of SMF so you should update to 2.0.17 immediately. Before doing so however it is imperative you take a backup of your database and files.

The 'Package Manager' should allow you to download and run a trial upgrade which will warn you of any template conflicts. If there are conflicts I'd advise not to proceed with the upgrade until the conflicts are resolved.

As far as animated gifs are concerned, they are fine to use. Perhaps the previous admin just didn't like animated smileys :)

[EDIT] Something I forgot to mention is the latest version of SMF added GDPR compliance so that might be another reason to upgrade if you fall within its jurisdiction.

Last edited: