An update from XenForo

RSS Feed

Participant
RSS Feed submitted a new Article:

An update from XenForo

Recently, we've had a few questions regarding our progress towards version 2.2 of XenForo, so it feels like the time is right to post an update to keep you all in the loop.

First things first, we have to say that 2.2 isn't as far along as we would have liked. However, it is now our primary development focus and we are really excited at what we have lined up for inclusion in 2.2. The reasons for the delay are various, but there are measures in place to ensure that this should be the last...

An update from XenForo

Continue reading...

Read more about this article here...

sbjsbj

Fan
Good news about addressing the slow pace.

Please hire at least 2 people, please.

sbjsbj

Fan
I am gonna be bold and ask directly, Xon are you considering to apply?

There are not many devs who can code high quality stuff and are active in the scene as much as you are.

Also seeing that the last time when a dev joined (Chris) that his stuff got absorbed to the XF system, it should be also the case for your addons (of course if both parties agree).

Of course I understand if you don't want to comment on this.

Also, does anyone know what this means?

has been keeping us very much in-check by also doubling up as our new Project Manager,

What does "to double up" mean in this context and what is the job as the project manager? Keeping the devs in line with the projects they have been working on?

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I think this is a very positive and timely announcement. It should put to rest any doubts people are having about the future of the product :tup:

Chris D

XenForo Developer
There are not many devs who can code high quality stuff and are active in the scene as much as you are.
Obviously everyone is welcome to apply. But while we're only looking for a commitment of around 10 hours a week, at the moment, we are hoping that someone wants to join us with a view to eventually making it full-time/permanent, so it would be nice if people who apply have a longer term aspiration to be able to commit more time. That may (or may not) exclude people who already have significant commitments to their existing jobs, other work and other products they've released for XF.

Also seeing that the last time when a dev joined (Chris) that his stuff got absorbed to the XF system, it should be also the case for your addons (of course if both parties agree).
The gallery add-on is the only thing that was "absorbed" as you put it, though that was really a special case as it was a product that made a lot of sense to add to the line up. That wouldn't necessarily be the same for every product and, indeed, it wasn't the case for everything I had. That is, to say, Gallery was probably the exception, rather than the rule.

What does "to double up" mean in this context and what is the job as the project manager? Keeping the devs in line with the projects they have been working on?
Gemma essentially is the glue of the development team. She isn't a developer herself, but she gets us together and holds us to deadlines, helps us allocate our resources better, hosts voice meetings so we can better plan and communicate. Not that we didn't already communicate well together, of course, but she was already working for us, is experienced in project management and so she's actually a valuable asset to the team overall.

sbjsbj

Fan
Obviously everyone is welcome to apply. But while we're only looking for a commitment of around 10 hours a week, at the moment, we are hoping that someone wants to join us with a view to eventually making it full-time/permanent, so it would be nice if people who apply have a longer term aspiration to be able to commit more time. That may (or may not) exclude people who already have significant commitments to their existing jobs, other work and other products they've released for XF.
I see. Will you announce that you are recruiting currently on other platforms aswell (like huge popular sites where people look for work)? Or is the announcement internally only?

Why I am asking this is because as you say probably most people would have already a commitment to their existing jobs. And there are not many high standard developers around in the scene as far as I can see. Obviously can't speak in general or for a fact, it is just my observation. So, although I really really love that you guys finally agreed that you need more helping hands, I fear that you may not get many applications. So you need more exposure maybe to hire outside of XF.

You guys really need at least 2 more people helping you out, so I hope you can find qualified people for the longterm.

The gallery add-on is the only thing that was "absorbed" as you put it, though that was really a special case as it was a product that made a lot of sense to add to the line up. That wouldn't necessarily be the same for every product and, indeed, it wasn't the case for everything I had. That is, to say, Gallery was probably the exception, rather than the rule.
From what I remember (not totally sure), there was also another addon of yours (welcome notices something) which was included in XF 1.5 I believe. And you had a push addon aswell. I would say a variation of it got on board too. But this is not that important.

It should be decided on a case-by-case basis. But in case someone like Xon gets hired, I think it would make sense to take his stuff on board. Because it closes a lot of tiny gaps what the software is missing and it is polishing out the stuff. I believe the problem would be how to compensate him taking all of it on board, which would also mean more support time for the base software and what would happen, if the new trainee doesn't get the fulltime position. So I understand that this wouldn't be the normal case here, although in case of Xon I would advocate to take everything on board.
Instead of re-inventing the wheel, one could just take what is already in the market which is tested, that was my idea why taking them on board. That would be an advantage and a benefit to every side (XF, Xon, Users), of course if everyone is compensated accordingly. But this is such a hypothetical topic and probably very irrelevant as we are only talking about a "what if Xon" situation, which is very unlikely to happen I guess. But still good to hear how such a case would be handled, if it happened of course.

Gemma essentially is the glue of the development team. She isn't a developer herself, but she gets us together and holds us to deadlines, helps us allocate our resources better, hosts voice meetings so we can better plan and communicate. Not that we didn't already communicate well together, of course, but she was already working for us, is experienced in project management and so she's actually a valuable asset to the team overall.
Will she also be a vocal moderator in the official forums helping Brogan out? Or will she stay behind the stage doing all the other work we cannot see publicly? Just curious.

Thanks for the explanations.

Chris D

XenForo Developer
I see. Will you announce that you are recruiting currently on other platforms aswell (like huge popular sites where people look for work)? Or is the announcement internally only?
We want someone who is ready to hit the ground running with XenForo development and has demonstrably good quality work. So we're looking to pool resources from the existing community in the first instance.

I fear that you may not get many applications.
We've had a number of reasonable applications already.

You guys really need at least 2 more people helping you out, so I hope you can find qualified people for the longterm.
No, currently we need one person doing up to 20 hours a week (or indeed 2 doing 10 each).

From what I remember (not totally sure), there was also another addon of yours (welcome notices something) which was included in XF 1.5 I believe. And you had a push addon aswell. I would say a variation of it got on board too. But this is not that important.
Any other functionality which made it into the software would have made it into the software with or without my involvement and with or without those add-ons I created being in existence.

Will she also be a vocal moderator in the official forums helping Brogan out? Or will she stay behind the stage doing all the other work we cannot see publicly? Just curious.
Various finance/business related stuff (including things like tickets about refunds) and project management. That's it.

sbjsbj

Fan
We want someone who is ready to hit the ground running with XenForo development and has demonstrably good quality work. So we're looking to pool resources from the existing community in the first instance.
Yeah, it makes sense. Did you approach some developers before you made that announcement? Just curious.

No, currently we need one person doing up to 20 hours a week (or indeed 2 doing 10 each).
Ah, that's bad. The wording in the announcement made it look like you are seeking for more than 1 developer if the oppurtunity arises. Well, let's see who gets hired first and see him in action before making a judgement, but so far I have the opinion that you guys need more than a single person doing 20 hours of work a week. Of course not knowing the financial situation of the company, maybe more is not possible at this time.

Various finance/business related stuff (including things like tickets about refunds) and project management. That's it.
Ah, right. In the announcement it was said she was answering tickets, so it looked like she will assist Brogan, but it seems her area is on other things. Thanks for clearing it up. Good luck to her!

Chris D

XenForo Developer
Yeah, it makes sense. Did you approach some developers before you made that announcement? Just curious.
Yes. Time availability for some people is an issue.

Ah, that's bad. The wording in the announcement made it look like you are seeking for more than 1 developer if the oppurtunity arises. Well, let's see who gets hired first and see him in action before making a judgement, but so far I have the opinion that you guys need more than a single person doing 20 hours of work a week. Of course not knowing the financial situation of the company, maybe more is not possible at this time.
Nothing should be inferred from it other than the fact that it is our assessment that ~20 hours or so is all we require at this precise moment.

Ah, right. In the announcement it was said she was answering tickets, so it looked like she will assist Brogan, but it seems her area is on other things. Thanks for clearing it up. Good luck to her!
Yeah in terms of tickets its usually with relation to refunds and other business related stuff.

sbjsbj

Fan
Yes. Time availability for some people is an issue.
I see. Good luck to him/her whoever gets the job.

In what timeframe do you expect to hire someone? Like will you wait 3 months or so to make a decision from a pool of people or will it be an instant decision like "the first fitting one gets it"?

Nothing should be inferred from it other than the fact that it is our assessment that ~20 hours or so is all we require at this precise moment.
Right, I hope it works out as planned.

Is the position solely for web development (PHP, Javascript, SQL, HTML/CSS) or are there any other specific qualifications one need (like Java for App, Linux/Server knowledge for assisting in backend problems, etc.)? From the wording it looks like web dev, is that correct?

What will be the job/position of the new hiree like will he focus on specific things only (like building only official addons, or only helping out for bugfixes, or only doing help for 2nd point releases). Stuff like that. Of course he will have to do whatever is thrown at him, but maybe there is a more specified role. Just asking to see how the future of XF is planned.

Thanks for all the answers btw.

Alpha1

Administrator
Are the job openings additions aimed at growth, replacements or both?

haqzore

Devotee
Best time to add developers was 5+ years ago.
Next best time is now! Finally!

haqzore

Devotee
We did * waves

Now is the best time to add yet another developer.
Ha - fair point - and totally agree. My XF installation uses Gallery :)

Personally, I just want more than a forum, so I'm a much bigger proponent of new ideas & understand there's only so much one person (meaning each of you) can do.

Also - I said developers :p