An interesting situation involving converting from ProBoards.

pclinger

Aspirant
Patrick- one of the criticisms of Proboards is that there's "no escape". I know that that is due to the way you assign ownership of content (which, while not my preferred method, is at least sane in my opinion). My biggest issue is that while it's well known on TAZ that you can't take your content with you, it's not the most easily accessible information. Have you considered adding a "moving out" section to the FAQ or similar?

Hi Greg,

You can export all of your data by logging in at www.proboards.com, going to the Account Settings tab, and then clicking the Export section. This will let you download every thread, post, PM, etc.

Patrick

pclinger

Aspirant
Will that be cumulable with the ad removal plans?

Even if you have our standard banner ads on your forum you will still be able to make additional money from these other sources. You still need to buy ad-free if you want to replace our banners with your own.

We are working on setting things up with two different partners right now. Again, the announcement will be made in the coming month or so depending on when our implementation is finished.

Patrick

Greg

TAZ Rookie
Hi Greg,

You can export all of your data by logging in at www.proboards.com, going to the Account Settings tab, and then clicking the Export section. This will let you download every thread, post, PM, etc.

Patrick

I meant more in regards to moving out an entire community; e.g.

Can I export my community off Proboards?

Posts are the property of users; individual users can export their data by doing ^^.

Wild1145

Neophyte
I have to say, after reading through it, i have learned a fair bit about proboards that i didn't know before.

I don't personally think its right that proboards own the content, i feel that should be down to the user who holds the admin account on the forums, as they have done all the work to make the forums what they are. I do agree with the exportation of data though, i feel that it would need to be made clear to the members before you export it.

Your claims however for V5 is flawed, i was a beta tester and it didn't work how i liked it, many of your features (Life search for one) has NEVER worked, i always get a error, no matter what forums i use.

Because of issues like this, i moved a long time ago to MyBB, and i have to say while it being a but more challenging to set up and moderate (Just because of the change) It is much better now for what we use. While V5 looks MUCH better, many of the functions seem rushed and as such don't work on a high usage forums.

As for the advertisement's, i use a add blocker anyway, i hate the add's on all websites, and feel it should be down to the user to enable them. As a Website host i know about other forums, and i and many other hosts have "One click installers" that allow you to install a full forum in under 30 seconds (about the same time as setting up proboards).

I do agree that in the past it would be easier to use proboards for the "Non tech's" however with the development of these one click installers, i feel that people will start moving away, imply because they don't have the legal standing that they want.

GTB

Tazmanian
I think some are missing the point, that you cannot have everything your own way with a free forum hosted service. All I'm reading here is, "I want to do this, I want to do that". What about fact your forum is hosted for free costing you nothing, also once you have a forum busy, other members posting "isn't you doing the work".

Unless every member their is fake, and really you posting all the time. :foilhat:

pclinger

Aspirant
I meant more in regards to moving out an entire community; e.g.

Can I export my community off Proboards?

Posts are the property of users; individual users can export their data by doing ^^.

What you can do is ask your members to export their data and provide you a copy, and someone would need to write a converter to move the data into whatever system. Since the users own their own data, it is up to them to provide it to you.

Greg

TAZ Rookie
I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I know and you know what the privacy policy is at Proboards, but not everyone casually making a Proboards forum realizes that they can't move off of it without the agreement of their users. From casually browsing your site, it's not a fact that I think is readily noticeable to someone new to the forum world, and I think it can be pointed out somewhere on your website in an FAQ or the like in order to make it clearer to said casual user.

BamaStangGuy

Fanatic
What you can do is ask your members to export their data and provide you a copy, and someone would need to write a converter to move the data into whatever system. Since the users own their own data, it is up to them to provide it to you.

Are you going to ask every admin and user to export their data and hand it over to you when you sell Proboards?

pclinger

Aspirant
Are you going to ask every admin and user to export their data and hand it over to you when you sell Proboards?

I realize you're trying to be sarcastic, but I'll give you a real answer anyways, which is our Terms of Service covers this.

As I explained previously (perhaps in other threads), there are advantages and disadvantages to every setup. We're also working on a new service that we're launching soon which will include full database backup where the content is licensed directly to the forum admin instead of ProBoards. That's another thing in the pipeline, but probably a few months away, and I can't provide more details quite yet.

BamaStangGuy

Fanatic
I am still confused how you can claim that the users own their content yet you can sell your company along with their content with no problem.

You told me you were going to give me a real answer from your TOS but went on to tell me about new features that have nothing to do with my question, which is how you can claim users own their own content and stop an admin from selling their forum they built, while still retaining the right to sell the users content and the admins hard work to whoever you please.

It seems like advantage is completely in your favor and this whole user owns their own content is just some feel good PR stunt you like to throw out.

TrixieTang

Custom Usertitle
We're also working on a new service that we're launching soon which will include full database backup where the content is licensed directly to the forum admin instead of ProBoards. That's another thing in the pipeline, but probably a few months away, and I can't provide more details quite yet.

Will there be a way to change to this if you already have a ProBoards forum? Or will only newly-created forums have the option to have content licensed directly to the forum admin?

pclinger

Aspirant
I am still confused how you can claim that the users own their content yet you can sell your company along with their content with no problem.

You told me you were going to give me a real answer from your TOS but went on to tell me about new features that have nothing to do with my question, which is how you can claim users own their own content and stop an admin from selling their forum they built, while still retaining the right to sell the users content and the admins hard work to whoever you please.

It seems like advantage is completely in your favor and this whole user owns their own content is just some feel good PR stunt you like to throw out.

In order to display the forum content we need a license to that content. Our Terms of Service outlines this. We never take ownership of content, we get a license. In the event the company was acquired, we could transfer our license. Please see section 15 of our TOS. This is exactly the same thing that companies like Facebook have in their TOS.

Will there be a way to change to this if you already have a ProBoards forum? Or will only newly-created forums have the option to have content licensed directly to the forum admin?

We haven't made decisions on that yet, but are open to user input.

TrixieTang

Custom Usertitle

I definitely think that existing forums should have the option.

Also, I'm curious, will we still have to allow users to have the ability to delete their content and entire accounts? Would attempting to remove that ability violate the ToS? Or is there any chance of having an irrevocable license to use user posted content on our ProBoards hosted forums?

I'm all for allowing users to delete their content if they have a good reason, but most of the time it seems like content is deleted either out of spite or just because it can be deleted...

BamaStangGuy

Fanatic
In order to display the forum content we need a license to that content. Our Terms of Service outlines this. We never take ownership of content, we get a license. In the event the company was acquired, we could transfer our license. Please see section 15 of our TOS. This is exactly the same thing that companies like Facebook have in their TOS.

Thanks for pointing that out.

TrixieTang

Custom Usertitle
One thing I think that they'd need to be careful with is licensing compatibility in such a case.

Definitely, I probably should have added "if possible" to that comment.

Blind Bandit

Fanatic
I'm again reminded why I'm thankful ever day I deleted my proboards forum.... never again porboards... never again.

pclinger

Aspirant
I definitely think that existing forums should have the option.

Also, I'm curious, will we still have to allow users to have the ability to delete their content and entire accounts? Would attempting to remove that ability violate the ToS? Or is there any chance of having an irrevocable license to use user posted content on our ProBoards hosted forums?

I'm all for allowing users to delete their content if they have a good reason, but most of the time it seems like content is deleted either out of spite or just because it can be deleted...

It is not against the TOS to hide the delete buttons, but as a general rule we tend to respect user requests to remove their own content. We feel that generally this is the right thing to do for the internet community as a whole, and honestly it very rarely comes up (I would guess once every few months). With our upcoming service we will play a less active role in terms of content enforcement (e.g. probably just focusing on DMCA/trademark issues, as the CDA legally protects us from most other issues).

GTB

Tazmanian
You can hide the delete content button. I use a mod now that sets a editing time limit of posts, you can choose to either hide just edit or delete button, or both after a set time limit passes. Or permanently hide either of them (which I don't do and allow deleting of posts for so long), along with editing.

That's why I installed the plug-in. I'm not for allowing members to delete all their content (with no time limit ever in place). They could come back and destroy threads they posted in 6-12 months later if they wanted too, it should be a stock feature in Proboards that plug-ins features I use. It doesn't make sense for reasons you said, allowing members to be able to always delete content, silly. And all it takes is a member one day to get the hump on over something stupid, and go on a mass post deleting rampage and end up with zillion threads ruined making no sense reading them.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    18.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

TrixieTang

Custom Usertitle
It is not against the TOS to hide the delete buttons, but as a general rule we tend to respect user requests to remove their own content.

Does that include the Delete Account button/feature?

http://support.proboards.com/thread/477922/account-deletion-member

David Clark said:
Just posting to confirm that users indeed have a right to remove their data from a forum if they wish. As of now it is only possible to delete a forum account from Edit Profile > Settings, but soon it will be possible to delete forum accounts from the global account settings page.

This recent thread seems to suggest that we have to allow members to be able to delete their accounts as it's a "right" and that members will soon be able to delete their accounts from forums via the ProBoards account manager, thus making it completely pointless to remove the Delete Account button on your forum.

Some people really don't like members having the ability to delete their account and turn all their posts into those ugly guest/unregistered posts. With great power comes great responsibility... and I don't think that everyone is responsible enough to be trusted with the ability to delete their own account. Some do it out of spite, others do it just because they can. Personally, I think it should be up to admins whether they choose to grant a member's account deletion request or not.