An insight into the dark side of the work carried out by 15,000 content moderators at Facebook

Joel R

Fan
I just read that as well.

I was impressed that they even used US moderators. I heard about social networks outsourcing the work overseas to contractors in India and Pakistan.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
That's a job nobody should have to do. It has the potential to mess with your head in so many different ways.

phatcows

Adherent
I heard about social networks outsourcing the work overseas to contractors in India and Pakistan.
There is a doco called 'The Cleaners', directed by Moritz Riesewieck and Hans Block which discusses the experiences from Facebook content moderators in Manila (Philippines) that you might find interesting.

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
Or with me in Adelaide...

On a side note, considering most IT companies are left leaning and full of people that trigger easily it makes me wonder how you would employ anyone that isnt biased either left right or centre or do they try to employ a mix? My best bet would be left leaning PC Femi crowd are mostly doing that sort of job.. no wonder they are depressed.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Or with me in Adelaide...

On a side note, considering most IT companies are left leaning and full of people that trigger easily it makes me wonder how you would employ anyone that isnt biased either left right or centre or do they try to employ a mix? My best bet would be left leaning PC Femi crowd are mostly doing that sort of job.. no wonder they are depressed.
Judging by some of the stuff they remove, I'd put money on them failing on hiring people with a lack of bias lol

My friend ends up in FB jail all the time and the worst thing she has ever posted was *oh shock horror* a pic of a rather hot guy in a bathful of water, looking chiselled and ready for anything - that got her a 30 day full on ban from FB and messenger. Yet another person I know posted up a pretty gruesome video about genital mutilation and breezed on through without any issues. Go figure.

I had a picture removed of my son lying on the floor with his head on my dog watching tv - the reason for the removal? It promoted animal cruelty. My son was 2, the dog was a fully grown rottweiler... they were cuddled up together.

Not only do they fail on hiring people with a lack of bias, I think sometimes there's a lack of intelligence as well.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Teach her how to setup a forum and invite her friends. Then can share sultry pics of chiselled men all she likes.
I told her that :ROFLMAO:

She just gave me a look and muttered, "you're the web bitch.. you do it." :LOL:

It's a true friendship based on mutual respect.. as you can see :love::cautious::ROFLMAO:

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
That's so weird, I hear the same thing from my friends all the time :D
It is weird, isn't it. Hell, if we made half the forums people demanded from us we'd never be able to do anything for ourselves.... oh... wait.....

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
Judging by some of the stuff they remove, I'd put money on them failing on hiring people with a lack of bias lol

My friend ends up in FB jail all the time and the worst thing she has ever posted was *oh shock horror* a pic of a rather hot guy in a bathful of water, looking chiselled and ready for anything - that got her a 30 day full on ban from FB and messenger. Yet another person I know posted up a pretty gruesome video about genital mutilation and breezed on through without any issues. Go figure.

I had a picture removed of my son lying on the floor with his head on my dog watching tv - the reason for the removal? It promoted animal cruelty. My son was 2, the dog was a fully grown rottweiler... they were cuddled up together.

Not only do they fail on hiring people with a lack of bias, I think sometimes there's a lack of intelligence as well.

in all honestly your probably right, everyone thinks they are being picked on but they are probably trying not to be biased... nobody really knows the answer to that I guess..

overcast

Adherent
Facebook is pretty soft on left wing and SJWs. I have seen many right wingers and the non SJWs getting blocked for standing against the opinion of left and SJW. In fact cambridge analytica used that loophole to promote left wing across all the world using the social media. Anything that doesn't stand by left wing is often blocked or banned in Facebook.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
New vid on this topic

To quote myself, which is probably bad form but some subjects simply out way etiquette...

That's a job nobody should have to do. It has the potential to mess with your head in so many different ways.

To put it more bluntly, anyone capable of doing a job such as this and remain unaffected is likely to present a danger to the rest of us.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
To put it more bluntly, anyone capable of doing a job such as this and remain unaffected is likely to present a danger to the rest of us.
I don't think I would be able to do that job, watching people begging for mercy before getting killed or watching ISIS beheading videos. It should be noted they don't really watch much of it (only enough to hit a button and make it disappear) and most of the content that is reported is really quite mundane, but it is still not a job I would want.

This used to be worse and a lot more understated. They used to outsource it out to third world countries, but they ran into a lot of problems where the people couldn't quite understand our cultural sensitives when judging reports, so they eventually brought it somewhere closer, which led to the videos and articles you see now.

"child sexual exploitation"
Rather than the politically correct term, how about just plain old "child abuse"? Whether someone is raping them or extorting them for nudes, it is still very abusive.

Last edited: