Cloud Amazon Aurora - Anyone?

ColinD

Enthusiast
Anyone using Amazon Aurora?

I've been tinkering with a few solutions, basically devil versus angel, single big box versus HA replicated & openstack.

I've been cursed as a sole admin, not got anyone I trust to co-admin, so for a while now I've been on edge when going away. Worst of all worlds really as on a 2 linodes. web & db, so you know twice as likely to be offline versus one box calculations.

So this led me to go back into my architecture notes and construct a lovely maria cluster 3x16's. But it's still far from easy to recover from a total down event. Ironically a single box is better. I'm not after 24/7 uptime, it's nice. But I can be away for days at a time, which isn't good for anyone.

I'd heard about amazon aurora when it launched a while back and it's good to see it's gone from strength to strength.

I've not tested it yet, I suspect latency is the killer. From my stats, I'm running around 48% write/read. IPB does not support read replicas, XF does and I'm moving to that soon.

So anyone used it, heard horror/success stories?

I'm drawn to the hole in the wall Db as a service, ok paas, by my devil of an easy life, go and get a beer, the server won't go down now... :lildevil: bzzzz bzzzz

ColinD

Enthusiast
I've just got a scribbled note it can do it. Neglected the how :doh:

It's only going to be needed if one opted for geo nodes. For the vast majority, myself included on this, it's a none issue. I'll be in a London DC to a AWS Europe Instance. AWS Aurora has in theory low latency read nodes around the globe. No one in NZ has said the site feels slow. I've got a test node in sydney and that feels slow to me though... But anyhow the forums as such would stay UK centric hosting wise, so ignore the red herring of read slaves :)

I'll probably be setting up a small test one just to see ;), unless it's a horror story.

Digitalpoint

Brain
Natively, it doesn't. But I think Digitalpoint released the add-on he uses for this
Some others use it for master/slave replication with XenForo. Myself, I've upgraded to a system where every database node is fully write capable, so no need to deal with replication and the annoyingness if slaves are running behind.

I use the ndbcluster storage engine now for everything: