Almost half of UK internet users 'harmed' online: regulation needed

Shimei

Fan
I think this thread has gone way way off topic.

Getting back to the original topic, in my experience this seems highly exaggerated.
I suspect a much low percentage of people have really been "harmed", certainly not half of the UK.

Question, and I hope you don't find my question harmful. Is asking someone to define what it means to be harmed off topic? Is what being conveyed as harmful subjective or objective? And by what standard is something deemed harmful? Who is the standard which we ought to follow? The individual, society (one nation to another), or a standard bearer greater than? That is, if we wish to voice our reasoning and to exercise our rights to influence policy rather than to follow them after the fact (which is an act that demonstrates ones source or standard that they think should make these decisions). Are our lawmakers representatives or a monarchy? In my previous posts I am actually trying to build a "bridge" and understand those that oppose what I personally believe. I am addressing the "why" people believe anything at all.

I'll stop if Staff suggests I am off topic. I'd hope that lawmakers care about why others have reservations or oppose said laws as well as support them. If the UK and EU or wherever else want to try to enforce their laws in the U.S. I'll try to raise enough signatures in petition to spread awareness to our lawmakers. Let's put a "diode" or "read only" in the internet lines from and to other continents or countries to make the internet only one way from the U.S. <sarcasm>

Last edited:

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
The discussion has strayed more into the philosophical arena, perhaps, but I have to agree with Shimei that it isn't completely off the topic.

I'll agree that article is a bit alarmist. However, I think what's behind it is important because it touches on something that is gaining traction and we as forum owners/managers should be discussing it. Governments all over are taking a serious look at the internet and that's something we should all want to be involved in.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
I think this thread has gone way way off topic.

Thank you. When it turns from a topic which might include a religious view into promoting their particular view ("one true god" blah, blah, blah) and how anyone who disagrees lacks knowledge, it becomes a broken record after a bit. It's like trying to talk with someone who constantly brings up their knitting hobby.

A. The other day I was reading some about...
B. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light.
A. I wasn't taking about Jesus. Anyway, I was reading a press release from Nasa and...
B. Did you know the one true god made the stars and all the objects in the universe that Nasa is cataloging?
A. Um, I'm trying to talk about their press release. They've identified a planet in the habitable zone that...
B. Habitable? God formed the earth, populated it with plants, animals, and creatures of the sea, in the first book of his true revelation.
A. Great you believe that, but this has nothing to do with that. The interesting thing is this planet is in orbit around a star 16 light years away that happens to be where the planet Vulcan from Star Trek is supposed to be located.
B. If there's life on other planets its because the one true god created it there.
A. I'm outta here.

Shimei

Fan
Thank you. When it turns from a topic which might include a religious view into promoting their particular view ("one true god" blah, blah, blah) and how anyone who disagrees lacks knowledge, it becomes a broken record after a bit. It's like trying to talk with someone who constantly brings up their knitting hobby.

This leads to another point.

Declaration of Independence:
"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.... "

I think it is very important to see that the founding document by which America became a nation contains within an appeal to God. This totally debunks many myths (lies, so lets penalize all those that spread this myth because it is harmful <sarcasm>) that are repeated such as "Don't bring God into politics" "Let's not mention God in public places because it isn't proper - some people might be offended."

So here we face an apparent issue. Are the founding documents of our nation irrelevant, or do they only contain irrelevant information for anyone to decide selectively to omit?

A. The other day I was reading some about...
B. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light.
A. I wasn't taking about Jesus. Anyway, I was reading a press release from Nasa and...
B. Did you know the one true god made the stars and all the objects in the universe that Nasa is cataloging?
A. Um, I'm trying to talk about their press release. They've identified a planet in the habitable zone that...
B. Habitable? God formed the earth, populated it with plants, animals, and creatures of the sea, in the first book of his true revelation.
A. Great you believe that, but this has nothing to do with that. The interesting thing is this planet is in orbit around a star 16 light years away that happens to be where the planet Vulcan from Star Trek is supposed to be located.
B. If there's life on other planets its because the one true god created it there.
A. I'm outta here.

Right! It seems that you're running into people in your example which take things from Scripture out of context and apply a new meaning to it anyway they want. Sound familiar?

Last edited:

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
If you're worried about trolling and bullying, how about going on a site where that doesn't happen, like I don't know... A well-moderated forum? These social networks are so big that they're virtually impossible to moderate.