After 10 years, I'm done with IPS

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
The only dispute is that this encourages devs to only use it, which encourages customers to remain actively renewed, rather than letting renewals lapse.
And ultimately THIS is the key consideration. Consistent revenue stream by any means possible.

Joel R

Fan
For me, this is game over. With the pandemic going on and lack of jobs in my location, I'm struggling to even purchase groceries. I cannot financially support IPS with the Marketplace changes; not even including the cost of additional apps i.e., commerce, pages, etc.
Hi,

You can't buy groceries and put food on the table for you and your family, but you want to complain about the cost of running your side-hobby forum? Yes, yes I see you have your priorities straight.

Stop worrying about seeking support on nulled sites. Stop worrying about Marketplace purchases. Stop worrying about IPS company policies on a forum that you can't pay for. Go feed your family.

1607203347131.png

To everybody else reading this and having a hard time because of the virus, my heart goes out to you. It really is a tough time out there for many families, especially during the holidays. I can't believe I have to say this, but in case there is any question: you shouldn't choose between food for your family or renewing a forum. It's not a decision at all; you always buy food for your family. But I also want to add that it's in incredibly poor form to come on TAZ and weaponize your family's impoverishment to complain about renewal policies for your forum.

It should be evident by now that IPS is not a community solution that you can run on a shoe-string budget. Paid forum software like IPS usually require, well, payment. If you can't make payment, then there are plenty of free options out there, of everything from SMF / phpBB / myBB to social media groups like Amino Apps / Facebook Groups / Discord. Your members are not going to begrudge you for switching to another platform if it provides a sustainable path. IPS is also not going to begrudge you for switching to another platform if you're never going to pay them.

If a $25 - $100 renewal makes a difference to your family's budget, then don't complain about being embarrassed for switching. Do what you need to do for your family.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
And if IPS would offer peer support in the forums to their clients (albeit not active license holders) it would go a long way towards helping.
It's just another method to FORCE a payment to them for a privilege that should be default to any client.
They honestly don't care about the "small fry" sites that might want to use their software but have no income. They are focused on the "money makers".

Chemical

Aspirant
And if IPS would offer peer support in the forums to their clients (albeit not active license holders) it would go a long way towards helping.
It's just another method to FORCE a payment to them for a privilege that should be default to any client.
They honestly don't care about the "small fry" sites that might want to use their software but have no income. They are focused on the "money makers".
It’s always struck me how un-community minded the IPS ‘community’ forum is.

we_are_borg

Administrator
Yes IPS is one company that tries to force you to renewal, not an active license means no marketplace, no support on the forums and no downloads of your version when active.

tony45

Enthusiast
Thats right.
"Money makers" have the... money to pay for their work (invision have 18 guys working on their stuff). "Hobbyists guys" haven´t, their niches are getting smaller and smaller year after year. You can see here: participation is getting really low. Hobbyst sites are drying, thats the nature of internet.
So its not a sustainable business model to provide them such a service. Thats why there are free option: for people with no money.

we_are_borg

Administrator
A hobby may cost money in my opinion if i play a sport i need to pay to do that sport, either in contributions or in materials i need or both. When i had my hobby site i spend about 350 euro so thats 30 euro a month that is not much for a hobby i think. I stopped this because i did not enjoy it anymore. Now for a project i do volunteer work for, we use IPS because it is the best fit what we need. We are dependent on money people send us but if i need to pay 210 dollars a year for access to marketplace, downloads, tickets i will think twice. Everything works as it should new functions in the software are not needed at this point so why renewal. Why should i renew i have no incentive to do so, its expensive and i get almost nothing in return i need at this time. So now comes IPS into play as i have stated else where here, give discounts but limit what you’ll get in return. IPS gets money and user gets what he wants its a win win when done correctly.

borbole

Adherent
Hi,

You can't buy groceries and put food on the table for you and your family, but you want to complain about the cost of running your side-hobby forum? Yes, yes I see you have your priorities straight.

Stop worrying about seeking support on nulled sites. Stop worrying about Marketplace purchases. Stop worrying about IPS company policies on a forum that you can't pay for. Go feed your family.

View attachment 54994

To everybody else reading this and having a hard time because of the virus, my heart goes out to you. It really is a tough time out there for many families, especially during the holidays. I can't believe I have to say this, but in case there is any question: you shouldn't choose between food for your family or renewing a forum. It's not a decision at all; you always buy food for your family. But I also want to add that it's in incredibly poor form to come on TAZ and weaponize your family's impoverishment to complain about renewal policies for your forum.

It should be evident by now that IPS is not a community solution that you can run on a shoe-string budget. Paid forum software like IPS usually require, well, payment. If you can't make payment, then there are plenty of free options out there, of everything from SMF / phpBB / myBB to social media groups like Amino Apps / Facebook Groups / Discord. Your members are not going to begrudge you for switching to another platform if it provides a sustainable path. IPS is also not going to begrudge you for switching to another platform if you're never going to pay them.

If a $25 - $100 renewal makes a difference to your family's budget, then don't complain about being embarrassed for switching. Do what you need to do for your family.
I lol'ed at this. :D

On a serious note, well said man. That user 's time and energy would have been best spent looking for a job rather than complain about Ipb 's prices.

Steve M

Coder Formerly Known As..
Just an FYI to everyone that has stated no Marketplace access without an active license.

I just renewed last week, prior to that I saw this thread and how you can't download/install any apps/plugins from the Marketplace without an active license. I tested that out, you can indeed still download/install any FREE apps/plugins that are available that you wish to use.

Now if I'm misunderstanding the use of "Marketplace" in this discussion, please do let me know.

Matt M

Director Development at Invision Community
Hey all,

I just wanted to update you on a change we made very recently to the Marketplace.

Now, if you have a purchased resource from the Marketplace, you can still access it even if your Invision Community license expires.

Thanks for all your feedback on this! 🙌

haqzore

Devotee
Hey all,

I just wanted to update you on a change we made very recently to the Marketplace.

Now, if you have a purchased resource from the Marketplace, you can still access it even if your Invision Community license expires.

Incredible. Thanks.

Truly the best of every world now with IPS in this regard.

jair101

Participant
OMG, the constant bitching helped. Guys, remember Shawshenks Redemption when the guy kept asking about books for the prison, when the authorities relented because they were tired of him, he doubled his efforts.

Now, lets switch the bitching power in another direction. Let's get the peer to peer forums open to everyone!

borbole

Adherent
Hey all,

You guys really do listen to your past, current and potential future customers. You understand their concerns, and what they want and need. No wonder why you have such a loyal and sustainable customer base. Hats off to you.

Joel R

Fan
Hey all,

Why is this not announced on your own company forums to your own clients?

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
Great. You finally did what you should have done in the first place.

(Couldn't resist. No thread is complete without at least one grumbler. :) )

Noble

Participant
A needed change for sure, I dont mind paying the renewals for the software or the renewals for the app's that i have purchased but what i would like to see is if we are paying renewals on third party app's we should be able to use them on a second or third site, the dev is still getting support to keep the app updated and they still come from the MP.

Oh!

Enthusiast
Hey all,

Seems like a sensible/better approach. And good to see that you were so willing to the make changes requested.