After 10 years, I'm done with IPS

Nabix

The direction in which Invision has decided to take with their software has left me with no other option but to seek other venues unfortunately. I will most likely be switching over to Xenforo because of the availability of support and access to 3rd party developers.

With the recent changes at Invision, you can no longer provide or receive support via their forums without an active license. Most of the support forums are in 'Read Only' mode. The forums you can post in are:
  • Feedback and Ideas
  • Community Administration Tips
  • General Chit Chat
  • Test Posting Messages

These changes are in relation to the Marketplace addition within the current release of IPS 4.5. Where you are now able to download community add-ons via the ACP (admin control panel); much like Wordpress. This helps keep add-ons current with updates and prevents users from breaking their software by installing applications which are not supported by the version they are using, thus making the software overall more secure.

However, with this new addition, you can no longer download 3rd party add-ons without an active IPS license. For example, I have a theme which I recently purchased; and is currently active. I cannot re-download that theme without a current active IPS license.

Invision has made it clear that the new system is not going to change. I believe this will only encourage users to seek support from other sites like TAZ and sites which provide nulled/shared software.

For me, this is game over. With the pandemic going on and lack of jobs in my location, I'm struggling to even purchase groceries. I cannot financially support IPS with the Marketplace changes; not even including the cost of additional apps i.e., commerce, pages, etc.

I've always been an IPB fanboy and now I'm kinda embarrassed to say I'm switching to another software. Invision has always been my 'go to' for any web project I created. But, until I'm able to afford the fees associated with the software or something changes, I will stay away from Invision.

I do wish them all the best as their staff have always been great and do excellent work.

- Nabix

P.S. Its sad. . . I haven't been able to use IPS 4.5. . .

haqzore

Devotee
However, with this new addition, you can no longer download 3rd party add-ons without an active IPS license. For example, I have a theme which I recently purchased; and is currently active. I cannot re-download that theme without a current active IPS license.
Is this intentional? Has IPS confirmed?

we_are_borg

Administrator
Yes IPS tries to milk the license in a very bad way and is i think the only one doing it like this. I’m in the same predicament can’t afford to renew the license because its working as it should but can’t update buy new stuff because you cant use marketplace.

Oldsmoboi

Fan
Something doesn't sound right here. You should still be able to buy something from a third party site and upload it. When I go to Themes and Create New, it gives me the option of the Marketplace or Manual Mode where it will ask for an XML file. Now I have an active license, but I don't see them disabling that ability for someone who doesn't have an active license.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
Isn't this already the case on the XenForo support forum?
Inactive license holders aren't restricted from getting help, they just can't download versions past when their license expired. Non-license holders, of course, aren't eligible for support.

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
Inactive license holders aren't restricted from getting help, they just can't download versions past when their license expired. Non-license holders, of course, aren't eligible for support.
With XF, though, you still have to own a license. I guess the only difference is that you need to keep it renewed with IPS.

Nabix

True. They should still provide peer support for people who have spent a whole coin purse for their software. It's simple and really not a big deal.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Needing to keep it current is a big difference.

I agree. I have only ever renewed my licenses when I need to update not when they expire. It literally cuts the cost of renewal in half for me which is a huge saving on multiple licenses.

I am in the process of looking to migrate a couple of large forums I manage onto new platforms. Invision Community (IPS) is at the top of my list but the licensing terms and the potential for additional costs are a factor that need to be taken into consideration.

l3ta

Enthusiast
Maybe Matt will bend the rules a bit for such a long-term, valued customer ;-)

V0RT3X

Aspirant
For example, I have a theme which I recently purchased; and is currently active. I cannot re-download that theme without a current active IPS license.
The easiest way for you would be to buy directly from developers/designers, no one is forced to use the Marketplace.

The big difference between the MP and the XF Ressource Manager is, IPS reviews all uploads for quality and that costs time/money too.

XF does not, everybody can sell everything. Staff can't even control that files, because all sales are on external websites.

I don't even want to know how much money I spent on addons full of bugs over the years on XF.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I refuse to believe that the quality of IPS hosted plugins is dramatically that much better.

Yes, it takes time to do that and you get a certain level of perception as to “all the addons are vetted” but unless you’re investing a full day to review even a modestly sized plugin, it’s simply not worth the time.

My company has this setup - we do managed hosting of platforms and because we manage the codebase we manage installing plugins. And we review every plugin that people add (in our world this is less crazy than it sounds), giving every plugin a red/amber/green rating. Red is no go, Amber is “we’ll install it but if it goes badly we will remove it without warning” and Green is “all good, have fun”.

The reviews are done by competent developers, spending a day per plugin, with a list of things to check for as known issues we know to look for... but security and performance problems still sneak by in spite of what the platform does itself and whatever reviewing goes on because this is legitimately a hard problem to solve.

Deimos

Devotee
That's insane, but it's just one of the many reasons I no longer use IPB
For me there were a few strikes;
1) The nullification of the perpetual license
2) Blocking downloads of the official software if your license has expired
and now this.

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
The direction in which Invision has decided to take with their software has left me with no other option but to seek other venues unfortunately. I will most likely be switching over to Xenforo because of the availability of support and access to 3rd party developers.

With the recent changes at Invision, you can no longer provide or receive support via their forums without an active license. Most of the support forums are in 'Read Only' mode. The forums you can post in are:
  • Feedback and Ideas
  • Community Administration Tips
  • General Chit Chat
  • Test Posting Messages

These changes are in relation to the Marketplace addition within the current release of IPS 4.5. Where you are now able to download community add-ons via the ACP (admin control panel); much like Wordpress. This helps keep add-ons current with updates and prevents users from breaking their software by installing applications which are not supported by the version they are using, thus making the software overall more secure.

Invision has made it clear that the new system is not going to change. I believe this will only encourage users to seek support from other sites like TAZ and sites which provide nulled/shared software.

For me, this is game over. With the pandemic going on and lack of jobs in my location, I'm struggling to even purchase groceries. I cannot financially support IPS with the Marketplace changes; not even including the cost of additional apps i.e., commerce, pages, etc.

I've always been an IPB fanboy and now I'm kinda embarrassed to say I'm switching to another software. Invision has always been my 'go to' for any web project I created. But, until I'm able to afford the fees associated with the software or something changes, I will stay away from Invision.

I do wish them all the best as their staff have always been great and do excellent work.

- Nabix

P.S. Its sad. . . I haven't been able to use IPS 4.5. . .

We noticed this as well when we had to update our Titan Skin just a few weeks ago. We try to stay good with our timing though so we only have to pay IPB's fee once a year for their security updates and bigger software updates and try to time it with our skins.
We're big supporters of ipb and we still feel good value and well supported since 2006
stability and dependability is what's important over long run
and costs some money

:)
gogo

Last edited:

sanction9

Enthusiast
The big difference between the MP and the XF Ressource Manager is, IPS reviews all uploads for quality and that costs time/money too.

Not sure how this is pertinent to the issue here. Regardless of whether customers can or can't access the marketplace, IPB will still be spending the same amount of time doing this, correct? How exactly does disallowing users from the marketplace save them time or money spent on checking addons?

Matt M

Director Development at Invision Community
Hi Nabix!

I just wanted to clear up a few thoughts here.

The forums have been this way for years (probably at least 5? I can't recall off the top of my head), so it's not a new change.

You are very welcome to keep uploading third party add-ons via the manual upload forms even if your license has expired, just the same as you would if using XenForo.

I'm sorry you're leaving, but I do wish you all the best.

I know money is tighter than ever, but the forum renewals are just $50/year (so just under a dollar a week) and our developers and staff need to be paid too. :)

we_are_borg

Administrator
I know money is tighter than ever, but the forum renewals are just $50/year (so just under a dollar a week) and our developers and staff need to be paid too. :)
Yes forum $50/year but if you have everything except ecommerce then its $140/year its still not bad for $2,70 a week. BUT what you forget is that ads are not paying much so now we as admins need to put pro and cons side by side. When we do that spam measures is a big selling point in the eyes of IPS but as admins its not you can take own measures that cost nothing at all. If the site is running as it should you do not need to update only when you really need new features that you really need. So admins will save money by not renewing straight away. I myself will not renew till next year the cost is to high ($210/year) in these times and everything works. But now IPS as issues if x% does not renew because of current times you are digging in your reserves. But everything should be fine because IPS is not saying we understand current times many can’t renew or have more issues to get money. IPS is also not making new income for themselves and lesson the strain on admins, for example instead of for me ($210/year) lets say $150/year but with limits lets say support max 48 hours but ecommerce is 24 hours or faster. IPS can make new revenue streams and help admins save money.

Lets be fair Xenforo and others can make new streams of revenue.