Advices on a personal loan

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I don't think some people realise and appreciate how close a 20 min walk is to their workplace compared to a lot of commutes.
Very true. Prior to Covid my better half took a taxi > train > tube > bus > walk (10-15 minutes) and back again, 4 days a week. A round trip of about 6 hours a day assuming there were no cancellations. I on the other hand take a leisurely stroll down to my basement studio, a round trip of about 50 steps :cool:

Guardian Angel

Aspirant
Where I live we are completely surrounded on all sides by national parks. You cannot get to anywhere without driving through one. The nearest city is 250 K away. Nothing but forests with no towns or villages. Public transportation is non existent and if you don't have a vehicle you are in big trouble.

It is not unusual to have bears coming into your yard and my neighbor had a cougar (mountain lion) in his garage which he left open a few years ago. You can walk here if you want to, but in the fall during rutting season and when the bears come into town to fatten up for hibernation, it is not a good idea.

P.S. The little town I live in has only 3,500 people. We do have a taxi service but it is very expensive. I think in this situation a person would be better off making payments on a car loan.

Last edited:

we_are_borg

Administrator
Guardian Angel you are describing a scenario where you need to invest in a car and its a necessity to travel and safety. In your case you look for a good car that’s reliable and has low upkeep.

Guardian Angel

Aspirant
I realize that the OP's scenario is different than mine. The point being though is that walking or biking is not always an option for many of us. As for me I have a big 4X4 and it's paid for too. lol

Last edited:

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
Guardian Angel you are describing a scenario where you need to invest in a car and its a necessity to travel and safety. In your case you look for a good car that’s reliable and has low upkeep.

In this case, a motorcycle or scooter could get someone by while they save to buy a better car, without the enslavement of debt.

Oedipus

Participant
Don't get me wrong, I like walking but when it's rainy and snowy I wish I had a car.

I also don't like wasting money on taxi and I have no public transport. There are no bus lines in my town. We only have buses for villages.

I had a bike and I sold it when winter started.

we_are_borg

Administrator
In this case, a motorcycle or scooter could get someone by while they save to buy a better car, without the enslavement of debt.
You can’t with cougars and bears around you are a target on motorcycle or scooter. The safety of a car (enclosed) is far better then motorcycle or scooter.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
What if a person is really fat and out of shape? Walking or biking is not then an option. Also in small communities public transport is also not an option as it would not exist.
If they are fat or out of shape, then the biking/walking will get them IN shape. A 10-20 minute walk would only be around 5 minutes on a bicycle. If a "fat" or out of shape person can't ride a bike for 5-10 minutes at an easy pace, then I seriously doubt they are going to be able to do much valid work for an 8 hour shift.
Hell, back when I worked patrol in Lewisville (Texas) I lived about 10 minutes from the station, and would frequently walk to and from work there (I worked a 7PM-3:30AM shift), and even did it when it was freezing (and below) out (I simply dressed for the walk). And I had 2 perfectly good vehicles in the drive or garage.
There is more to the cost of a vehicle than simply buying it. Here in the States, most of said states require that you have liability insurance at a minimum. Most lenders will require you to have full coverage on a vehicle (at a higher cost) to protect their investment. Then you have fuel costs, regular maintenance costs and repair costs that you should be setting money aside for.

As for bears/mountain lions, that's what they make this for

bear spray.jpeg

Last edited:

Guardian Angel

Aspirant
Tracy Perry, bear spray does indeed work for bears and I do on occasion carry it. As for cougars they like to attack from the back. Out here we have baseball caps that have eyes on the back of the cap. Cougars usually stalk between sundown and sunup. That is the time you ought not to be out. If you spot a cougar in the daytime this means big trouble.
They are either sick, wounded, or have been just recently weaned by their mothers and are starving. A starving cougar is bad news.

The only issue I personally have had in regards to wildlife is being charged at by a bighorn ram. (not fun)