Admins, how did you discover your forum niches?

BioWarfare

The uphill battle
A lot of the admins here are very experienced and great forum admins that own forums with a variety of niches.

So, sometimes I'll be sitting at my desk and think of ideas for a forum but then I'll think, "That'll never work!" because honestly, 99% of the time they are not clear ideas. I want to ask those of you who have founded forums of different niches, how did you come across your ideas? Maybe people like me just don't have enough real life interests. I don't want to ask about your general gaming forums or general discussion forums, but specific areas for discussion that you had a great interest in. And these ideas obviously had to be good enough for you to purchase a domain, setup a forum and all the time/money that comes with it.

southernlady

Devotee
Mine is for a health condition that a bunch of us commonly share and many are interested.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I saw an opportunity to offer forums as a cost effective support tool for service providers. Everyone does it now but at the time it was quite rare.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Mine is primarily free math help, which was already flourishing long before I got into the admin game. I discovered it years ago when playing with Pythagorean triples and "discovering" and interesting sequence of numbers which led my to a math help forum where I was told the sequence was already well known (the Pell sequence). I discovered I liked helping others with math and became an active participant on several such sites, eventually being asked to help admin one of them.

darnoldy

Curmudgeon
I think that most of us did not sit at our desk and try to think of a niche in which to start a forum.

Instead, we were/are interested in and passionate about some topic that we felt was not adequately served by an existing forum.

--don

Ingenious

Fan
I had a hobby and started a website about it then added a forum. I wouldn't dream of starting a new forum these days unless it was a subject I was very interested in and there were no existing forums or communities about it.

2dub

Adherent
I was actively involved with another forum in my niche and something just got me thinking I could do it better. 11 years later things are still going pretty well for me.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
I had a need, I filled it. It took off from there.
Finding myself in the same boots as you, MSG. Though, mostly a blog. There have been a few. It's a fairly well known brand, too, that's fine with customers using their name to promote the good of the brand. Downside is all the blogs or sites are deader than a skunk in the middle of the road run over by multiple 18 wheelers.

As a huge fan of this brand, some would say a soft addiction, it pisses me off because the only way to see what people find are through Twitter, and that's a cesspool. Any tips?

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
A lot of the admins here are very experienced and great forum admins that own forums with a variety of niches.

So, sometimes I'll be sitting at my desk and think of ideas for a forum but then I'll think, "That'll never work!" because honestly, 99% of the time they are not clear ideas. I want to ask those of you who have founded forums of different niches, how did you come across your ideas? Maybe people like me just don't have enough real life interests. I don't want to ask about your general gaming forums or general discussion forums, but specific areas for discussion that you had a great interest in. And these ideas obviously had to be good enough for you to purchase a domain, setup a forum and all the time/money that comes with it.

Downloaded a demo called Sacred. Was German version of Diablo 2...but had its own way with game mechanics. Got completely hooked, ordered the game, and from there discovered the game's support forum and was instantly hooked. In fact, I found that the forum itself was competing for my game time as it was the first time I was writing online and made a bunch of friends. We started playing another game called Ogame that was German friendly and from there came another group of friends... we started a clan, and from there we went to our own forum and began to support all the iterations of Sacred that came out over the last ten years
So...I'm not really sure we got to a "niche"...its just where all my online friends were and what we happened to be playing almost 24/7 back then.
From that then, I would deduce ...that whatever you're doing the most now or are interested in is probably what you'll have interest and skills in and would do well online in .
The forum bug bites hard, but it's absolutely satisfying... good luck and best wishes on your road
:)

gogo