Adding cometchat to an active big board.

Alpha1

Administrator
I have just added cometchat to my big board. I thought to update you on this experiment.

I chose cometchat over arrowchat, because it has much more development going on and the feature set is bigger.

I have 2.2 million monthly unique users and I am showing the cometchat bar to guests. So I would expect some heavy server strain. But so far this is not the case. When I turned it on at first, my server load was going through the roof, but it settled down once the majority of my users had loaded the chat bar.

I have not yet installed any service to offload chat resources to cometservice or a self hosted APE server. I want to see how this runs out of the box first.

It will be interesting to see if cometchat increases registrations, because the bar is visible to guests, but to chat users need to register.

I am however running into a number of issues with cometchat:

1. Like many webmasters I am having trouble with getting avatars visible. Avatars display as an empty box with a red cross, because cometchat cant find avatars. (I have avatars on a separate domain)
  2. Installing addons / plugins leads to an error.
  3. Cant add moderators.
  4. My monitor logs do not display any chats.
  5. Logs lead to errors

I have requested support from cometchat, so we will see if the above can be resolved.

I have hired cometchat developers to add various new functionality to their software. More about this later.

I will update this thread later.

Last edited:

Taylor

Sexier Than You
What forum software? I bought one of the more expensive cometchat licenses, thinking I'd do the same on my big board, but I haven't tried it yet.

• Admin

Alpha1

Administrator
I am currently using vbulletin 3.8 but am reviewing IPS and other options to migrate to.

I bought the platinum edition ($500) of cometchat because that supports XMPP / Jabber and they promised to include the following functionality if I bought the platinum edition:
  • usergroup permissions per chat room
  • logs per chat room
  • desktop client to respect vbulletin usergroup permissions.
  • block specific usergroups from using chat, while they can see the chat bar
  • forward users in specific user groups to payment page when they try to access chat
  • Chatroom icons

I find XMPP of extreme importance, because it will allow my members to use the chat even when they are not on my site.

Once the bugs have been resolved I will post a review of the functionality. I think this could be useful for you as its clear that the pro's and con's to cometchat. My feature request forum is receiving various suggestions, complaints, cheers and remarks from my members. And with good reason. All in all my members are happy with cometchat, but there are important issues that need to be resolved.

Here is a list of functions that the cometchat developers are creating for me and that will likely be included into upcoming editions of the software:

1. Chat report function (post chat report to vbulletin)
  2. Moderator Access to Chat logs
  3. Temporary bans
  4. Staff chat room only visible to staff

Last edited:
  • Admin

Alpha1

Administrator
We have now been using cometchat for over a month. There jury is still out, but I think its good to update you about the issues we have been facing, the pro's and cons that my members have highlighted.

Cometchat staff has resolved all of the issues I listed in my post above.

The most important issue is that cometchat has repeatedly crashed my website, as it was causing up to 65.000 concurrent connections on port 80 from cometchat files to the webserver, while chat has been limited to only a few concurrent users.
This massive amount of connections must have been caused by thousands of users that should not have access to cometchat anyway.
The cometchat staff is working to resolve these issues. I hope to get more information on this.
Off course cometchat staff offered me to use their chat service, but asides from the fact that I want to run everything on my own server, it does not make sense to buy a costly service for a few concurrent chat users.

After migrating to cometchat, my active chat community instantly died due to several factors. Many of these were resolved with the help of cometchat staff. Here are some of the issues that have been resolved:

1. A user can not be in multiple chat rooms and therefore everyone is hopping from chat room to chat room. At each enter/leaving this causes a notification which fills up the chat. These notifications were turned off. Members are now automatically signed into a specific chat room. A future update will allow users to be in multiple chat rooms.
  2. There was almost no chat history so members could not see what the conversation was about. This was fixed.
Now chat is more active, but still not at the level that it was. Having a chat box available resulted in 10 times more chatting.

We encounter the following issues:

1. Its not possible to set different polling time for chat messages and for polling whos online. This becomes a major issue when dealing with 65.000 concurrent polling requests, bringing down the server.
  2. There are no real usergroup permissions. You can only hide the chat, but practically its still there. A smart user will still get in. With thousands of concurrent users its very problematic.
  3. Cometchat polls the webserver instead of the mysql server.
  4. Moderators can not remove offending messages.
  5. Many users encounter an 'unresponsive script' message. Unfortunately cometchat has not been able to reproduce this and therefore dismissed the issue.
  6. Users can create custom chat rooms , password protect them and lock out the staff.
I hope that the above issues will be resolved soon.

My members are really enjoying 1to1 chat and the various chat functions like sketching, audio, file transfer, etc. Its certainly not all bad. But there are some serious issues to fix first.

cwjd

Aspirant
This Comet Chat looks really cool. Though its a bit pricey. I've always wanted to create a kind of "lounge" where people can instant message on the site. This is one way it could be done. Thanks.