Add Favicon To Your MyBB Forum

WbDev

Aspirant
Hello,

In this tutorial i will show you how to add Favicon image to your MyBB forum
Original thread: http://wb-dev.net/showthread.php?tid=12

Step 1:
Go to Admin CP > Templates & Style > Templates > Your Theme Templates > Ungrouped Templates > headerinclude

Step 2:
Add the following code to the top of the headerinclude code

You have two options, if you want to use PNG image add the following code to the top of the headerinclude code:
Code:
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="images/favicon.png" />
or
if you want to use ICO file add the following code to the top of the headerinclude code:
Code:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="path to icon/favicon.ico" />

Done .. :)

Last edited:

el canadiano

But I said ███████████
Correction: Use

Code:
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="images/favicon.png" />
instead of
Code:
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="images/favicon.png">

as the latter is not valid XHTML. Regardless, a good point.

adbrad

Habitué
All i did to use my favicon was upload a favicon.ico file in to the root of my forum and it seems to pick it up ok.
Great tuturial none the less

trizzypballr

Participant
For some reason I cannot get this to work. I saved an image as a .png file, and followed all the steps, my image isnt showing up though. Does the image have to be made a certain size or will it automaticly be made the correct size?

djbaxter

Tazmanian Veteran
All i did to use my favicon was upload a favicon.ico file in to the root of my forum and it seems to pick it up ok.
Great tuturial none the less

Can't you just upload a favicon to root?

This will work for most sites in most browsers IF the image is an .ico file named favicon.ico and in the root folder. The line suggested in the OP to add to the head section of the page is more a precaution than a necessity but if you're not using favicon.ico as the filename OR if the image file is not in the domain root then the line is necessary.

adbrad

Habitué
.ico is not an option to save a file as on photoshop, so I cannot try it out :-(

you can get a free download for this and you add it to photoshop but i can't remember where the download came from or how to add it. I downloaded it and installed it a while ago.

djbaxter

Tazmanian Veteran
Download IrfanView. It's free, small footprint, fast, and does format conversions super quickly, including png or gif to or bmp ico.