A new mobile app!

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
A new mobile app has been added to TAZ! We are now are using the turn-key mobile apps from here: https://www.turnkeymobileapps.com/

The primary function of this app is providing the community with push alerts, making it easier to stay connected (some members prefer these to email notifications), while preserving the investments we've made in our custom styles and add-ons.

These are the 5 steps I followed to install it:

1) Filled out the short "Create an App" form:

app1.png

2) Validated TAZ's XenForo license:

app2.png

3) Filled out the "App Layout" information with colors from TAZ's color palette:

app3.png

4) Confirmed the Add-on installation:

app4.png

5) Downloaded and installed the XenForo add-on:

app5.png

After this step, I waited for the apps to be processed by the developer. When that was done I received an e-mail alert indicating the apps were submitted to the app stores for review by Google/Apple.

After each app store's review team approved an app, I received another email alert saying that app is "Ready For Sale". The app page was also updated with our new pair of app id's to paste into the add-on settings.

Both Apps approved:

app6.png

Copy & paste app ID's into the add-on settings:

app7.png

At this point the apps were up and running - the set-up and installation were simple and straightforward. There was some waiting time involved while the apps were in the queue to be approved, but we knew that up front and it turned out to be quicker than I thought. :)

Questions will be answered in this thread by vbresults for the next 30 days, and after that questions can be sent directly to order@turnkeymobileapps.com.

Last edited:

Adam H

** Retired **
Always like to try something new so that i can have an opinion on it with out following others judgements so I downloaded it to see what it was like.

From a users point of view :
  • I keep trying to scroll up to see the logo/header etc, just something that im used to so its going to be a personal preference thing but i use the logo to return home on every site not just this one because its a bigger surface area. I really cant see the point in removing the header in all honesty just to make it look "app like"
  • Seems more cluttered, again..........havent got a clue why because comparing the normal responsive in a browser and the app, I cant see the difference but it still feels more cluttered ( could it be the lack of header ?.....im not sure will have to play more.)
  • Wouldnt use push notifications. No interest in that part.
  • On a positive note, its an additional thing for people to use i guess.
From an admins point of view ( potential future customer ? ) :
  • Dislike the branding of vbresults under the site name when downloading the app.
  • Couldnt see anything viable personally that would encourage me to use it for a forum of mine or a clients.
  • Back to the positive note above, couldnt justify an additional feature which has little features for the cost and/or yet another addon which offers practically the same as Xenforo offers as default.
Overall thoughts is that it doesnt offer any value for money for an admin to purchase, while claiming to preserve the investment in the custom theme's responsiveness it adds nothing that couldnt be added to xenforo ( assuming push notifications are available via an addon still ? ).

The reason things like Tapatalk actually are liked by the masses ( members not admins ) is because it gives an alternative, cut down and a heavy thumbs friendly environment for those that dislike responsive.

I do look forward to other peoples opinions though genuinely, hopefully you will post some usage statistics over the coming months, it will be interesting to see if the sole reason for the usage is the push notifications or whether people use it because they actually like the experience better than Responsive or alternative mobile apps

Nebulous

Hakuna Matata
Looks like those of us who cannot afford to (or just plain don't want to) fork out $200 - $600 every year (forever?) for an app will have to learn how to build and submit apps ourselves.

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
Please Let's keep this thread for your experience with the app on TAZ should you choose to use it. This thread is not the place to discuss pricing, or other alternative apps. :)

Thanks. :)

Nebulous

Hakuna Matata
Please Let's keep this thread for your experience with the app on TAZ should you choose to use it. This thread is not the place to discuss pricing, or other alternative apps. :)

Thanks. :)

The original post links us to where we can purchase the app ourselves then proceeds to walk us through the set up process. I don't see how discussing the product and it's pricing structure is off limits given how the thread was presented.

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
There is no such restriction on the discussion here and vBResults will be back to answer questions and such. I'm no expert, but apparently developing such a product (add-on and apps) is difficult and expensive.

vbresults

Enthusiast
Adam H , going down the list:
  • The logo in the top right (title bar) replaces the home link
  • Initially we had the header enabled and it looked strange seeing the logo/site name 3 times (title bar text, title bar logo, style logo) so I asked Sandman to enable the option to hide the style-based logo; aside from the title bar there is nothing added to the page
  • From a user perspective, most download it to check it out and keep it for the push alerts and removed subscription emails
On the 2nd part:
  • This is not branding; the apps are hosted on our accounts, so this is what the stores show and we have no control over this. We tried running apps on other accounts, but due to the extra labor and all of the variables it would have to be at least $1200/yr for the lowest plan (more on the cost later).
  • From an admin perspective, you can get more activity from existing users and the smart banner makes more new visitors "stick", as they have your app installed. You also have a chance to reactivate old users by sending out a mass email that links back home -- they will see the smart banner -- and be able to install the app and start getting push alerts that will inevitably bring them back. So there are traffic and activity benefits which is good whether or not you run ads, but especially good if you do. https://xenforo.com/community/resou...d-on-support-android-iphone-ipad.4731/reviews https://xenforo.com/community/threa...d-iphone-ipad-paid.107202/page-2#post-1000003
---

Is this available for download?

Yes; if you visit TAZ on either an Android or iPhone/iPad then you will see the prompt to install it :)

---

Solidus Thanks for the screenshot, please leave a short app review :)

---

shadowdev Most people use the Economy plan. For the benefits it is not expensive, unless you come from a free app and your board does not produce revenue or produces very little (then the perspective is justified, and TT is a better fit for such boards unless there are other reasons for not using it).

From our side, the biggest component of the annual license fee is support (and you'll see this explicitly by looking at the differences in the plans). After that is the development costs (and contrary to popular belief, this is expensive). Then app submission and update costs. Then general business and marketing costs.

---

Joe. Ozzy is probably saying this because when we launched the apps on xF.com some people were (very, very aggressively) pouncing on the thread about the price when they clearly wouldn't pay, and staff refused to intervene until it "derailed" (which was predicted, response too late, and all avoidable).

While it's up to anyone to post what they like within the rules, I'd like to prevent anything like that from happening again.

Last edited:

vbresults

Enthusiast

Tomat0

Neophyte
Tomat0 It does not.
I've been exclusively using this app alone to browse and operate TAZ for the past 20 minutes and am really enjoying it. I plan to do a review on it in a near future.

Edit: so what you're saying is that if I run an XF forum, for a fee I can provide the exact same experience to my members?

Sperber

Neophyte
vbresults , we have already apps published in both stores + amazon, kindle etc. What if, ..
  • we would like to publish this app for our sites under our account instead of yours? I don´t like the idea to be bound to host or publish through second or third parties.
  • we´ld like to customize the app further to our very own needs?
  • Is there something like a lifetime license and if so, how much is it and how are updates handled?
So far I don´t see a big difference to the advantages of the UI.X themes we´re using. And to be honest, I´m really disappointed by the app by now cause it seems it doesn´t offer more than a little framework to generate the push notifications. Don´t know if someone is familiar with the free Chayns App - but from my point of view even this one has more features and functionality. I don´t wanna make your App look bad, vbresults, but could you explain a bit more in depth what justifies the price tag you put on it? I guess you´ve had a good reason for that. May be I´m to blind to see it or haven´t found it yet.

Regards,
Sperber.