A new member joins - what next?

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
For a larger forum, I'd imagine it would be harder to do but for a smaller forum, I feel like every new member that joins should get a lot of attention from the owner.

Greet them, PM them welcoming them, befriend them and make them feel extremely welcome on the forum. Turn every new member into a loyal member.

What are your thoughts on this idea?

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
For a larger forum, I'd imagine it would be harder to do but for a smaller forum, I feel like every new member that joins should get a lot of attention from the owner.

Greet them, PM them welcoming them, befriend them and make them feel extremely welcome on the forum. Turn every new member into a loyal member.

What are your thoughts on this idea?
I used to love to do that alot. I would regularly greet new users and say how excited I am to have them in the community.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
It's the only way to go, really.

Initially, I greeted every new member and engaged them in discussion to make them feel comfortable and welcomed. Over time, it became part of the community spirit. Now, existing members have taken over welcoming and engaging new members. Almost every new member posts in the Introduction section and members are all over them with questions and helpful advice.

Hostboard

Participant
Ok when you figure out a way to do this on my site, please explain...

Average Registrations 53.85 Per Day, 376.96 Per Week, 1,615.56 Per Month o_O

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
Easy. You should have started it from the beginning. You can't unmake a mess. You have to find a way to clean it up.

Hostboard

Participant
Easy. You should have started it from the beginning. You can't unmake a mess. You have to find a way to clean it up.

Because of what my forums is and does the post as more toung in cheeck. Our initial welcome email explains the basics and links to what they need in order to preform whatever they need, whether it is as a user or owner of their own community.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
It's the only way to go, really.

Initially, I greeted every new member and engaged them in discussion to make them feel comfortable and welcomed. Over time, it became part of the community spirit. Now, existing members have taken over welcoming and engaging new members. Almost every new member posts in the Introduction section and members are all over them with questions and helpful advice.
This is exactly what I do and the result is the same. Creating positive energy within your forum encourages members to emulate your lead.

Stojan Tim

Aspirant
I send an auto PM with welcome info and useful ideas on what to do next, plus a very brief summary of the main dos and don'ts, along with an invitation to reply to ask any questions. There's a new member forum to say hello in, though it's entirely voluntary so a new member can lurk if they like.