A New Look for us in 2020

Jason5

Adherent
The forum looks really cool, great work on the theme, icons...Awesome!

sbjsbj

Fan
Looks great honestly. Very sleek and looks well organized.

Your index page is great but I wish forums weren't this behind...

Because normally the index page + forum list should be one page, not 2 separate pages. When the visitors land on your site, they should see content + nodes. Having to go through 2 sections is not good, but this is not your fault. You did the best you could do.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
Looks great honestly. Very sleek and looks well organized.

Your index page is great but I wish forums weren't this behind...

Because normally the index page + forum list should be one page, not 2 separate pages. When the visitors land on your site, they should see content + nodes. Having to go through 2 sections is not good, but this is not your fault. You did the best you could do.

Thanks! We are working with a developer as we speak to created "Tabbed Forum Home" this will allow the forum home to not be a mile long, as well as allow us to put club forums on a tab, its going to be awesome.

As for the "index" in reality it is just my "landing page" it contains all the whats new from all the sites features, it moves fast. A forum home page as index is outdated , plain and hard to drive the users to the content really.

There is a new landing page add-on a lot of people are switching too. I prefer to use the pages app that gives me free reign to do what ever i want really

sbjsbj

Fan
As for the "index" in reality it is just my "landing page" it contains all the whats new from all the sites features, it moves fast. A forum home page as index is outdated , plain and hard to drive the users to the content really.
I know it is not ideal. I agree. Haven't had the time to change mine yet, but I agree that it is outdated.
But, what is also outdated is having both things. So having one landing page + forum list page is just like 2009. We need a solution which provides both on one singular page, not 2.

Right now your landing page uses the native domain route and the forum page the /forums route. The ideal would be if we could deliver content on the main domain route AND the node list. too. So a combination of both. That needs innovation of course, maybe in 20 years...

sbjsbj

Here it is.... Tabbed Forum Home :cool:

Ah, neat feature. It is basically a 2nd row navigation bar. I would kill to be able to have a 2nd navigation bar (or at least tabs like you do), because my main navigation bar is full like yours.

So, having that option is very nice.

On the other hand, tabs are not what I prefer if I can avoid them. It hides the content, it is not ideal. This also needs innovation. At first glance one hardly spots tabs in general. But again, not your fault. You can only do that what you have available to you.

Btw. your tabs don't work on mobile view.

DanielF

Participant
I doubt that switching the server will resolve all your slowness. You have quite a lot 3rd party stuff installed which isn't coded with "best performance" in mind, We’ve just removed a 3rd party app from the IPS marketplace because it was literally killing client boards and because the dev wasn’t able to resolve the issues.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
I doubt that switching the server will resolve all your slowness. You have quite a lot 3rd party stuff installed which isn't coded with "best performance" in mind, We’ve just removed a 3rd party app from the IPS marketplace because it was literally killing client boards and because the dev wasn’t able to resolve the issues.

The new style is way faster. The server was running out of power the CPU was pegging out. they added more power to last me until the upgrade

mysiteguy

Fanatic
Yeah, tabbed forums are an awesome feature. I migrated an XF site for someone last year that had about 50 forum sections, and we used the tabbed forum addon, the users loved it because it saves a huge amount of scrolling.

rafalp

Desu Ex
I hate tabbed forums list. Option to hide forums/categories I don't care about is far better IMHO as I don't need to click between tabs to skim parts of site I'm interested in.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
I hate tabbed forums list. Option to hide forums/categories I don't care about is far better IMHO as I don't need to click between tabs to skim parts of site I'm interested in.

Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 6.37.43 PM.png

You have to think bigger, i agree with you if its just normal forums split up by tabs.

These are not normal forum the 3 tabs you see contain 3 drastically different types of content

Main forum (default)
Conventional discussion based forums that everyone is used to

State Networks
Lists all 50 states and is only for networking with others

Unit Forums
Contain all the user created forums from the sites groups

Joel R

Habitué
The way fixer did his tabbed forums is quite nice. He has unique content areas that make sense to subdivide in an organized manner and helps the navigation of existing users.

In general though, I think that most communities should stay away from tabbed forums if possible. It literally hides the other sections, which has possible consequences to SEO and guest flow.
  • If a guest can't see it, then a search engine can't see it.
  • If a guest can't see it, then a guest won't click it.
I would recommend fixer watch his behavioral flow in Google Analytics like a hawk to see if there's been any absolute decreases in guest flow to the tabbed sections. As a hypothesis, it should redirect the guest flow to the first tabbed section.

\o/

an oddity
We are moving servers soon, so if your comment is "SiTe IS slOW" ... yeah i know thanks.

New servers won't fix the major problem of the site being really large - the main site loads 12.2 MB of resources here, according to Vivaldi's Developer Tools. I know, everyone's supposed to have a new computer and an awesome internet speed, even on a smartphone, but I doubt that this is the case.