A new forum script is coming.....

davemacc

Fan
It's looking really good so far, and very polished for an open source project. I really like what I've seen of it so far.

ChrisTERiS

Participant
It's looking really good so far, and very polished for an open source project. I really like what I've seen of it so far.
As I said it's my last project. And I want it to be as more perfect as possible. Till now I've paid ~ $750 for the template and I'm expecting the final cost of the template to be ~ $2.000. It was easy to release it with a simple (standard) bootstrap template, but I like to give away something unique including the design.

Lizard King

Habitué
Damn this thread reminded me old good old vb.org funny days :)

Congrats on your script Dude ( i gave up tracking your name change history long time ago )

ChrisTERiS

Participant
Lizard King

How much proud I'm feeling seeing people to blame me for my username changes, or for the similariry of "..foro" with other forum software.
Really I'm feeling proud. Because this is a proof that they didn't found something bad to say for the quality of my code and for the great ideas that I had (especially with my vbClubs and vbTravel for vB3).

And yes, I do agree with the "old good old vb.org funny days". Funny things seeing Marco, Calorie and many others top funs of vBulletin to disappear from the community when the "money" stop running into their pockets. Also still remember some other "Philosophers" ready to criticize anything, while they never wasted some hours to code something for the community.

At least, I'm still here, still coding for vBulletin, something that I'll continue doing it, till the day that those sites will close due to lack of user activity.

Alfa1

Administrator
Really I'm feeling proud. Because this is a proof that they didn't found something bad to say for the quality of my code and for the great ideas that I had
lolol. Really? You mean you forgot how many sites your memberlist by Mary addon crashed.? Those were some terrible queries in that script.
I have to say that the scripts you released were very creative and looked awesome. Props for that.
I did find it strange that you kept deleting all your addons time and time again. I never quite understood why you did that or why you changed your name a few times to female names. But to each their own. I was not bothered by it.

I do hope that you will not delete this project once communities start using it.

ozzy47

Tazmanian Veteran
OMG, focus on the project on hand, not what was, or shall be.

PacMan

Tazmanian
Lizard King

How much proud I'm feeling seeing people to blame me for my username changes, or for the similariry of "..foro" with other forum software.
Really I'm feeling proud. Because this is a proof that they didn't found something bad to say for the quality of my code and for the great ideas that I had (especially with my vbClubs and vbTravel for vB3).

I thought that was released by someone named Maria.

geebee

Fan
I remember Maria too. I think I used a dating script by Maria a few moons ago :D it's a funny old world.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Really I'm feeling proud. Because this is a proof that they didn't found something bad to say for the quality of my code and for the great ideas that I had ...
... because quality of code and caliber of creativy is all that should matter as concerns introducing a new script to the world.
Cheers! aimg402.imageshack.us_img402_4890_cheersc.gif

J.

ChrisTERiS

Participant
lolol. Really? You mean you forgot how many sites your memberlist by Mary addon crashed.? Those were some terrible queries in that script.
I have to say that the scripts you released were very creative and looked awesome. Props for that.
I did find it strange that you kept deleting all your addons time and time again. I never quite understood why you did that or why you changed your name a few times to female names. But to each their own. I was not bothered by it.

I do hope that you will not delete this project once communities start using it.
If you've even a small knowledge about coding, open that version of Memberlist and compare the style of coding with any of my other scripts. Even a novice will understand that have written from another coder. I did a mistake at that time and I released a mod from someone who worked (at those days) for vB but has decided to go out. My own memberlist script is this one: http://www.christos.teriakis.com/memberlist.php

ChrisTERiS

Participant
I never quite understood why you did that or why you changed your name a few times to female names.
It's very simple. Because I was always working legal (meaning paying Taxes for my income from coding). What I mean. As I've wrote many times I'm (was) mostly hobbist coder. Coding was not my job for living. My real job was employee at Olympic Airways. According to Greek laws (at least at those years) people working in public services (goverment departments) can't have a second job. That's why I choosen to work on my wife's name who was businesswoman (operating a Travel Agency). This way I was paying taxes as normal. The problem arised when the income from coding increased so much that it became problematic for my wife. Normally, according to the sales of her Travel Agency, she has a 22% tax to pay. With the additions profits from coding, she has to pay 36% in all income (including that one from Travel Agency). As you can understand I had to find a solution. So I moved the coding business to my daughter. All names that I used there (Maria Avlatzi and Marina Teriaki) where real names of real humans.
When on 2010 Olympic Airways folded, I started working on my name, so I changed my nicknames to my real name. The fact that I'm now using NickTheGreek is because vb.org team refused to give me back my old nickname (Christos Teriakis). I sent several PMs to Lynne and Paul M for this. At lease Lynne (as always) was kind enought to reply. Paul M no. So, I had no other choice than using NickTheGreek. But if you give a look in all my posts as NickTheGreek, I was never wrote something like "Chrees, Nick" at the end. I was letting always my post without a name.

I did find it strange that you kept deleting all your addons time and time again.
Is not quite correct what you said, even if it appears to be correct. The correct is "I deleted my mods FROM MY NAME, while I took care before to give them FREE OF CHARGE to another coder". eg Started with Michael, after him with BOP5 (here to be honest, only with 2 mods), then to Lionel and finally to Ozzy47. Only Ozzy47 kept his promise to continue working on them and supporting them. Worst of all was Lionel who just got them and left them on his HD, just as a way to reduce the competition. Unfortunatelly BOP5 had some health issues at that time so it was normal to be unable to support them. Michael just choosen 2 of the best (microSUPPORT and microCART) and left others out.

So I did the best possible to keep my mods active and available to the community.

Now let's come to the "strange part" why I was giving my mods to others. Here, I'll reply with a question: "If you do an agreement with a freelancer, for 6 custom mods (finally were 8), and for 3 PHP websites (eshop websites with almost all my vb mods to work as PHP script), so an estimate time of work around 2-3 years, and you were paying that freelancer 250 Euros a day (7.500 Euros a month as I was working even on weekends), how have to feel seeing that freelancer spending time on his site or at vb.org? Should you start having doubts if he really works fot you or teases you, YES or NO?"

This is what I did my dear. To be fair to my client, but also to be fair to those members who expected to have a support (even for free mods), I decided to close my site and give my work to other coder. It was easy to keep my commercial site open, just to have sales. How many vBulletin commercial sites exist even now, where only the ordering process is working, and nothing more??.

All you blame me looking only the upper part. The visible part. Nobody tried to find the real reason. When I closed my site, I had an average of 5 sales a day. A minimum $100 per day. Do I look like idiot to close the door to money? To say that I don't want money? Everybody wants them. But I prefered to be honest to all. I closed it being ready for all negative comments. You see. Negative comments exists only for me. There no negative comments for those sites which are appearing open, but in real they are open just to get money and nothing more.

This is all that I have to say. For first and last time. Never said that I'm the best person, even in my real life. I've my habbits and I know them very well. But at least, I've some good points and one of them is respection to people, and much more respection to those who are giving me money. Because even when my site was closed, I was giving support by email to anybody was asking me something. Even for free mods.

Thank you for your time to read it
Christos Teriakis

Last edited:

geebee

Fan
In truth Christos Teriakis you don't owe any explanation to anybody. If somebody likes your work they may choose to use it. I know that I've used mods of yours given for free over on vb org and have been grateful for them. I hope you prosper from your endeavours.

Last edited:

Edpal

Aspirant
The demo site is too undeveloped for anyone to see your vision Christos. I'll admit I have jumped from the first 3 pages of the thread to the reply box. You ned to dump in the database of a fully fleshed out site with at least 10,000 posts and a few hundred threads and members. And at least 4-5 catergories and a dozen sub-forums.

I have no issue with you using "Foro" - not like the word xen/zen is anything new.

Edpal

Aspirant
Christos Teriakis - good luck on your project.
So far you have some tabs and dropdowns.
View attachment 34401
A demo with no content or ability to add content isn't really a demo.
There isn't much to evaluate.

I'm surprised you still have no idea what Skooppa is.
Not to mention the spelling. (2 os, 2ps).
:shades:
I don't blame Christos for THAT, I wasn't able to wrap my head around what Skoopa is doing personally. I joined there but the site was too drawn out for me. Too much tell, not nearly enough show. It seemingly hasn't merged into many user's thoughts in 2 years - why is it used as a reference point to bust Christos chops?

You're right - huge lack of demo-ability for many of these things. In the words of the Who "we won't be fooled again".

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
huge lack of demo-ability for many of these things. In the words of the Who "we won't be fooled again".
I agree with the lack of demo ability being a bad condition, but who is trying to fool anyone? I am certainly not. I have yet to ask anything from anyone.

Scott

ChrisTERiS

Participant
The demo site is too undeveloped for anyone to see your vision Christos..
My apologies if by mistake somewhere I wrote "demo", even if I don't remember it. Is not a demo. Is not a real installation. It's just a mockup of Header/Footer and the global elements attached to them.

As for the speed (this is what I understood that you want to test with lot of content), even if it'll sounds a bit selfish, while I was able to build an Ajax search for vBulletin (Classifieds mods), which shows results of 50.000 posts in a snap of the eye, be sure that my forum, if not more speedy, at least should has the same speed like the other forums.

Edpal

Aspirant
My apologies if by mistake somewhere I wrote "demo", even if I don't remember it. Is not a demo. Is not a real installation. It's just a mockup of Header/Footer and the global elements attached to them.

As for the speed (this is what I understood that you want to test with lot of content), even if it'll sounds a bit selfish, while I was able to build an Ajax search for vBulletin (Classifieds mods), which shows results of 50.000 posts in a snap of the eye, be sure that my forum, if not more speedy, at least should has the same speed like the other forums.
A mock-up is what you show a friend, a colleague or a client. It is pointless to show "the world" of strangers a mock-up unless you want them to critique it for product improvement/development.. So - if the mockup is small and non-functional there is nothing to discuss. The longer and slower the pitch the more I personally become suspect - don't have time for hitching my wagon to trains with little track.

Some developer spend a lot of time defending - other spend time fixing and upgrading. Some people laugh about JoshyPHP's almost daily upgrades to his s9E MEdia BBCodes for xen. I don't - dude is chipping away at it apparently, little bit each day. He chose a sustainable project for himself.:thumb:

8 page thread in 8 days - OP could have built us a more realistic example to critique in that time. just my $0.02
no disrespect intended.
:Popcorn:

Last edited:

ChrisTERiS

Participant
unless you want them to critique it for document improvement/development
Exactly. This is what I want. To discuss it, get opinions and ideas. As for the code. Be sure that is 100% ready. I'm just waiting the final template to be ready and maybe I need to adjust the code by adding/removing some variables to show in templates.

ChrisTERiS

Participant
Edpal

I just read again my main post, and sorry to say but you blame me without any special reason(??). In my post I'm clearly saying:
- Content is not available yet.
- I'll appreciate your comments.

So please stop blame me. Better read carefully my post. And the fact that there are 8 pages in 8 days means that many people are interesting for it. I'm here to reply simple because I have nothing esle to do. As I said the code is 100% ready and tested well in my other PHP scripts. I'm just waiting my designer to finish the template. When he'll finish it, I'll activate the demo. Now what to activate? List of code?