A labour of love - a strategy game forum

Bitten by the bug I'm going to go in off the deep end and start a new forum for strategy gamers.

If there's a gaming style I enjoy most it's strategy, be in RTS, worldbuilder, 4X, turn-based. I started with Red Alert in 1996 and I've played dozens of different types. It's a subject I am passionate about, a subject I know about and I subject I can write about.

So why am I here? Why not just do it? Because I want to lean on you fine folks to see to my success. I have already secured hosting and a domain name. I now need to choose the forum software. Ideally I'd like to go back to vBulletin 3.8.x (and 15 years back in time if that's ok please and thank you) but I know that's not an option.

I've just put out a forum using XenForo - https://humankind2021.com (ironically for a strategy game!) and I feel like XenForo is the most obvious choice for a new launch. What are thoughts on vB5 or Invision (never ever used Invision) or something different such as Flarum (which looks beautiful, by the way).

Stage one: Choose a software
Stage two: Set up the site
Stage three: Marketing and promotion basics (social media, ads maybe? promotions)
Stage four, five and six: Content, content, content
Stage seven: TBC

Sticking with Stage one: Choose a software; what are your thoughts?

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I've just put out a forum using XenForo - https://humankind2021.com (ironically for a strategy game!) and I feel like XenForo is the most obvious choice for a new launch. What are thoughts on vB5 or Invision (never ever used Invision) or something different such as Flarum (which looks beautiful, by the way).
I and I'm sure an overwhelming majority of forum owners would say stay well away from vBulletin 5. While it does have some nice features and they have managed to crush hundreds of bugs, the underlying code is pretty dreadful and it's still riddled with hundreds if not thousands of bugs. It's also missing a lot of essential features and there's literally no third party add-ons or support available for it unless someone else knows different.

Xenforo or Invision Community would be at the top of my list. At this point in time my preference for which would vary on the nature of the forum. If it was a fairly plain startup I'd probably go for Xenforo. If I wanted a lot of additional functionality or if I was planning a migration from another platform Invision would be my choice.

Flarum would be a brave choice. I quite like it but I don't think I'd want to launch a new forum on it at this time.

Nabix

If you were able to start that forum with a new code base like Xenforo or IPB. Then theme it in a retro style to match the old rts days. That would be the bomb.com. Seriously, retro style forums with modern functionality are super cool. I own a domain based around rpg games but never got around to doing anything with it. That was my goal was a retro themed community but on modern software. Gives it that old school feel but with the latest features.

...stay well away from vBulletin 5.
Staying away from vbulletin. Shame. Loved 3.7 and 3.8.

Xenforo or Invision Community would be at the top of my list.
I’ve never used Invision. That’s my issue. Do I risk an unknown or stick with the reasonably familiar? I’m getting used to xF and it seems most popular. I don’t think I’ve even registered on an IPB forum before.
I’ll review their features and see if it’s tempting.

If you were able to start that forum with a new code base like Xenforo or IPB. Then theme it in a retro style to match the old rts days. That would be the bomb.com. Seriously, retro style forums with modern functionality are super cool.
Stop it! You’re turning me on!

Looks like IPS is much more expensive than xF. Just the core suite and forums is $200. Adding pages, blogs and more increases the cost significantly and it's a 6 month rather than 12 month (on xF) renewal. The question is, is it worth the extra investment?

XenForo I think then. I want a community first with articles/reviews which I know I can spin with add-ons.

Thank you all for your input thus far.