A gaming community for.. gaming?

Wyvh

Aspirant
As weird as the title might seem, I'll get to it.

Hey there,
I've travelled trough the vastness of the Internet and stumbled across quite numerous gaming forums and communities, and as good-looking and friendly they -for the most- seemed, I realized that mostly a big majority of these were about discussing and exchanging: don't get me wrong, nothing wrong about that, but they were all very look-alike.

So, I asked myself how the following project could turn out: a gaming forum exclusively about the most popular games (F2P or not) with a community around:
- games' biggest and latest deals and offers
- latest -actually interesting- news
- complete articles or equivalent about beginning to play specific games; how to make it out in popular games when you're joining years after the others
- which streamers and youtubers you could follow to: get better; see some good plays; learn more about the game(s) overall
and so on.

tldr; the whole thing would be about improving, trying out new games, getting the newest deals/offers and having an overall more ""hardcore"" gaming community.

I'd need honest (which doesn't necessarily mean harsh) opinions about it all.
Thanks in advance for your time and replies. <3

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Consider wether you're planning to start a forum or a 'community'.
Communities nowadays are generally spread across more than one website - theyll have a website, discord, twitch channel, social media pages/group, gaming clans. The old metrics by which a community's value used to be gauged against like total postcount or pageviews are mostly irrelevant now.

a gaming forum exclusively about the most popular games (F2P or not) with a community around:
A general gaming forum with sections covering those subjects would absolutely work, as long as you keep your expectations in check. Popular games already have associated websites (or subreddits if they lack dedicated websites so far), and unless you win over notable members of those communities you could find success slow to come.

Keep in mind a limitation of the way forums are designed - all users are by default exposed to the same amount of content and updates, regardless of wether they signed up for any in particular. Exposure saturation is rarely adressed by webmasters and one reason you see gamers prefer websites dedicated to *only* specific games or subreddits since they can add/remove any they want to minimize the amount of offtopic fluff visible.

Game-specific sites are lower friction than a megaboard, easier to handle and monetize (ie in association with game devs - sponsorships, regular ingame currency stipends, exclusive scoops to leverage for your youtube page...). A shared account system can bridge together multiple otherwise separate ones, with other integrations like with niche communities such as competitive speed running would help increase awareness (technically as mutually beneficial implementations, but in practice onesided in your favour).

Russ

Administrator
Most people will tell you that gaming forums are simply over-saturated, and it's really true. That being said, if you're starting the community out of a passion for games, then go for it, just be ready to provide actual useful content. The days of setting up a few forum categories and having typical forum discussion about games might be extremely hard to start off on. You have some interesting ideas to go with it, I'm all for it :D

Wyvh

Aspirant
Thanks a lot to you two for your fast replies.
Just wanted to specify that I'm not a native-English speaker and may sometimes have difficulties understanding what's being said, especially when the language level is higher than whan I'm used to.

Consider wether you're planning to start a forum or a 'community'.
Communities nowadays are generally spread across more than one website - theyll have a website, discord, twitch channel, social media pages/group, gaming clans. The old metrics by which a community's value used to be gauged against like total postcount or pageviews are mostly irrelevant now.

A general gaming forum with sections covering those subjects would absolutely work, as long as you keep your expectations in check. Popular games already have associated websites (or subreddits if they lack dedicated websites so far), and unless you win over notable members of those communities you could find success slow to come.

Keep in mind a limitation of the way forums are designed - all users are by default exposed to the same amount of content and updates, regardless of wether they signed up for any in particular. Exposure saturation is rarely adressed by webmasters and one reason you see gamers prefer websites dedicated to *only* specific games or subreddits since they can add/remove any they want to minimize the amount of offtopic fluff visible.

Game-specific sites are lower friction than a megaboard, easier to handle and monetize (ie in association with game devs - sponsorships, regular ingame currency stipends, exclusive scoops to leverage for your youtube page...). A shared account system can bridge together multiple otherwise separate ones, with other integrations like with niche communities such as competitive speed running would help increase awareness (technically as mutually beneficial implementations, but in practice onesided in your favour).

I see. What I had in mind is somewhat closer to websites like op.gg where they're very specific to certain games and value quality over quantity: a principle I share aswell. Here, on the website I use as an example, the user is free to browse on whatever game he's interested in in the moment. I truly believe that mixing a forum -type of community- with this principle could be very interesting.

Most people will tell you that gaming forums are simply over-saturated, and it's really true. That being said, if you're starting the community out of a passion for games, then go for it, just be ready to provide actual useful content. The days of setting up a few forum categories and having typical forum discussion about games might be extremely hard to start off on. You have some interesting ideas to go with it, I'm all for it :D

"Most people will tell you that gaming forums are simply over-saturated" - and the most people would be entirely right. Thing is, I couldn't find any forum having the same point of view as I do and I firmly think this could be worth the shot. I love starting off something from 'simple' ideas while 'designing' them more originally.
Thanks for your kind message. ♥

Penguin

Aspirant
Hi Wyvh,

This is indeed what we as Plasma Gaming try to acomplish at the moment. We have a discord server with self-assignable roles for the games that users wish to play, and general discussion channels for those that want to discuss games in general or about anything. We are looking at a potential move to https://guilded.gg/gaming (we got very lucky being able to get that URL) should Microsoft buy out Discord as these have in-built forums and other features that Discord just doesn't have

Wyvh

Aspirant
Hi Wyvh,

This is indeed what we as Plasma Gaming try to acomplish at the moment. We have a discord server with self-assignable roles for the games that users wish to play, and general discussion channels for those that want to discuss games in general or about anything. We are looking at a potential move to https://guilded.gg/gaming (we got very lucky being able to get that URL) should Microsoft buy out Discord as these have in-built forums and other features that Discord just doesn't have

Hey Penguin,
Sounds like a good project! I honestly have never been a big fan of using Discord for a project's main community, I'd rather see it as a side platform for the community to grow bigger and stay on touch. This, of course, is my point of view and I still understand your concept. :)

I'd be curious to know, somewhere else to avoid going off-topic, why Microsoft potentially buying Discord could be such a bad news?
Thanks for your reply.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
It sounds like a fine idea. However, success or failure will depend on how you move from idea to implementation. Additionally, you need to be prepared for the huge amount of work you'll need to put into the project to get it off the ground. You also need to have realistic expectations. If your goal is to have 100K members by June, or to be the biggest gaming forum on the internet, you'll be disappointed.

You'll need to figure out who your audience is; what sort of gamer will want the content you're proposing. More importantly, what sort of gamer will become an active participant and contribute the quality of content you want on the forum. That's the audience you'll need to make the site appeal to.

The big issue will be content. You have an ambitious plan with the type of content you want to provide and encourage. Do you have the depth and breadth of knowledge to be the sole provider of all that content for the next several months? It will take a substantial body of content to start attracting the audience you want.

Wyvh

Aspirant
It sounds like a fine idea. However, success or failure will depend on how you move from idea to implementation. Additionally, you need to be prepared for the huge amount of work you'll need to put into the project to get it off the ground. You also need to have realistic expectations. If your goal is to have 100K members by June, or to be the biggest gaming forum on the internet, you'll be disappointed.

You'll need to figure out who your audience is; what sort of gamer will want the content you're proposing. More importantly, what sort of gamer will become an active participant and contribute the quality of content you want on the forum. That's the audience you'll need to make the site appeal to.

The big issue will be content. You have an ambitious plan with the type of content you want to provide and encourage. Do you have the depth and breadth of knowledge to be the sole provider of all that content for the next several months? It will take a substantial body of content to start attracting the audience you want.

I believe I'll probably need help to even get it off the ground, such project sounds way too titanic of a work to be done by myself only.
Having a big community on this forum would be a goal but not my main one, I'd be more focused on delivering something helpful rather than constantly trying to reach higher member counts. (and I mean it)

Even though I'd like to make that forum more ""hardcore-gaming""-sided, I still want to help new players get into the games as much as attract confirmed players aswell.
Thanks for your reply. <3

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
I don't think the things you listed and regular discussions are mutually exclusive. Forums are based around discussion after all. What you described sounds like news, guides, and other content, but there's no reason these can't also be a part of gaming forums. In fact, they already are. Take Smash Boards, for example, where they have sections for news, articles, tips to improve, streaming, joining tournaments, etc. I believe that covered everything in the list.

Wyvh

Aspirant
Hey Jeremy8 ,
I understand what you mean and agree with you. Please keep in mind that I, obviously, could not explore every existing gaming forums/communities (even Google couldn't, shame on them); Smash Boards is a forum I didn't know about, but the difference here is that they exclusively talk about Smash Bros. games; I'd be more leaving for multiple and different MOBA/FPS/MMOs games.
Thanks for your reply. :)

Oldcrow

Enthusiast
I have what we call an Arcade gaming community Forums - Ronald's Arcade
I have well over 45,000 games, which include Flash, yes Flash we found a way around Adobe Flash to play Flash games, we also have HTML5 games.
As a community well it's more an arcade because very little chatting in the forum itself, mostly members just play games, most are older people.
You'll never get rich with one of these arcade forum if anything you'll put out more money than you ever thought. We use IPB forums and it's costly.

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless

Hey there,
I've travelled trough the vastness of the Internet and stumbled across quite numerous gaming forums and communities, and as good-looking and friendly they -for the most- seemed, I realized that mostly a big majority of these were about discussing and exchanging: don't get me wrong, nothing wrong about that, but they were all very look-alike.

So, I asked myself how the following project could turn out: a gaming forum exclusively about the most popular games (F2P or not) with a community around:
- complete articles or equivalent about beginning to play specific games; how to make it out in popular games when you're joining years after the others
- which streamers and youtubers you could follow to: get better; see some good plays; learn more about the game(s) overall
and so on.

tldr; the whole thing would be about improving, trying out new games, getting the newest deals/offers and having an overall more ""hardcore"" gaming community.

Always excited to hear about a new fellow gamers' community!
do you have a blog or site that you've currently been working on for gamers?

tekboi

XF Student

Hey there,

and so on.

Gaming is the most oversaturated market you could possibly get into. Futhermore, having it live on a forum is even more tough. I had to get rid my xenforo forum completely after my users straight up refused to keep using it. I am lucky enough to have a thriving community on Discord. But that is only because I started in 2013 and had a core userbase coming into it.

Trying to start a brand new community in 2021 is going to be a huge **** show. Especially if you don't have a real niche. "Hardcore Gaming" is not at all a unique niche. So before you embark on one of the most frustrating venture possible, ask yourself what your niche is that will separate you from the hordes of "communities" out there.

If I were starting a community in 2021, I would probably base it around some service, or some other thing that I already have traction in. Building one from ground zero is just too much these days.

haqzore

Devotee
answer this question, truthfully:

What experience, functionality or capability does your site offer that users don't already receive, in better & more convenient form, from Discord / Steam / Playstation Network / First-party forums?

Put simpler, what's the point? Why join your site?

You offer a forum, gallery & resources.

Every game, network or Discord has in-house forum equivalents.
Every game, network or Discord allows image sharing, and usually video.
Every game or network hosts its own files & updates.

They also let you form groups.
They let you 1-click "Join" your friends games, live & real-time.
They facilitate all-encompassing Voice chat.
They let you buy the games.
See live & real time what other people are playing.

I'm not trying to be rude, but let's be brutally honest. What the hell is the point?

It sucks, but it's the state of things.
It's very hard to offer a compelling reason to sign up to a "gaming forum" in today's market.

Oldcrow

Enthusiast
Always excited to hear about a new fellow gamers' community!
do you have a blog or site that you've currently been working on for gamers?
Nope. I don't do Blogs. Lucky to get any members posting in the forum itself, let alone a Blog..

Johno1942

Aspirant
Having been involved (including being the lead administrator) in a large gaming community for over 14 years which peaked at over 10,000 posts per week I wish you well in your endeavours.

Discord is NOT a forum friend. Discord is well known to be a forum killer and in the gaming world it is more significantly so. It is worse because discord facilitates easy creation of splinter groups which can undermine any community founded in discord.

Haqzore highlighted the issue you face. Well actually it is the issue that the whole independent gaming community faces.

To generate something that competes in the gaming market place will require time and effort of a team to provide enough rich content, which we found not to be economically viable anymore.

Youtube, Twitch, Discord, the forums of the games themselves all are designed to attract eyes and keep them in those environments. Individuals and groups are rewarded for their content generation there, you will need to compete with that.

Sorry to rain on your parade but your chosen market is a difficult one to survive in let alone enter.

Again good luck I would love to see a new successful independent gaming community out there.

Demon_skeith

Participant
I've managed to keep my own gaming news, general gaming forum going for 13 years now, got a decent core group posting often but it's hard to get anything off the ground like guides or showing off recent new video game content. If you want to get your idea off the ground, you'll need to partner with a site to help gain a following and go from there.

Smokey

Enthusiast
Like Demon_skeith above me. My gaming site has been going for many years, while this iteration is only a few years old at this point, the community behind it goes back over a decade and it's helped keep the site alive. Starting one up from scratch now could be difficult but if you got a good base for it and have the dedication to put into it, it's not entirely impossible to succeed, just a bit more difficult.

Dermot

Aspirant
My own gaming site has been going for several years too, but unlike most, i don't intend to become rich with putting ads everywhere or trying to monetize it anyway i can, it's my own thing that i enjoy doing and game quite a bit and try to keep fellow gamers in my country as up to date as possible and do have a discord attached that posts also go to and chat on there also. I think it all depends on what you hope to get from it and how much effort you're prepared to put into it. Like some above, the forum chat is not as active as some others, but i don't mind really.