A few questions about Ipb from a potential new customer

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
I have started a new forum using Smf 2.1., but seeing that the projects is moving along way too slow, I am looking for another solution. The forum is brand new, with 4 members and some 30 posts until now.

I did try the online demo for both Ipb and xenforo and Ipb is much better imo, so I decided to go with it.

Anyways, I was wondering if Ipb has a converter for Smf 2.1. Another question I had, how long before this new version of Ipb is going to take before reaches the stable version? I have some php/mysql knowledge and most likely I will develop new mods, is there any coding guidelines for Ipb? I did a search there but I could not find what I was looking for.

tony45

Enthusiast
Anyways, I was wondering if Ipb has a converter for Smf 2.1. Another question I had, how long before this new version of Ipb is going to take before reaches the stable version? I have some php/mysql knowledge and most likely I will develop new mods, is there any coding guidelines for Ipb? I did a search there but I could not find what I was looking for.
Last year it took IPB 2 and a half months to evolve from version 4.2 (beta) to 4.2.1 (a quite stable version)
4.3 (beta 1) was announced 4 days ago, therefore we can speculate that you should have a operating and reliable version during may or june,
especially considering that your community is (for now) very small, and therefore less prone to suffer bugs

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
And a suggestion.... get on the stable 4.2 line and DON'T be the first to rush to upgrade to the 4.3 line. Take my word for it... give others the time to break their teeth on it.

Maddox

Habitué
And a suggestion.... get on the stable 4.2 line and DON'T be the first to rush to upgrade to the 4.3 line. Take my word for it... give others the time to break their teeth on it.
Absolutely spot on!

:tup:

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
Last year it took IPB 2 and a half months to evolve from version 4.2 (beta) to 4.2.1 (a quite stable version)
4.3 (beta 1) was announced 4 days ago, therefore we can speculate that you should have a operating and reliable version during may or june,
especially considering that your community is (for now) very small, and therefore less prone to suffer bugs
That is quite fast. But that is what you get with professional business companies.

Very good advice. I intend to do just that,

Joel R

Fan
1. Yes, a converter is supported for SMF.

2. If you're brand new, I differ from the above's advice. You might as well directly go onto 4.3 and therefore don't have to worry about the upgrade from 4.2 and any potential problems that upgrade might entail with templates or custom modifications. If this was 4.0 or 4.1, then I would agree you should postpone but the platform is fairly stable at this point.

3. IPS Developer Resources: https://invisioncommunity.com/developers/index/

Welcome to IPS