A call to arms for community owners

Matt M

Director Development at Invision Community
I wrote a few words straight from the heart today.

Now is not the time to withdraw and abandon your communities.

We must keep showing up.

haqzore

Devotee
Well said, friend.

It may seem insignificant to run your Gardening or Gaming or Automotive community, but those communities really might be all some of our members have for a while to come.

And at the same time - remember that you're a community administrator. Questions and answers about what to do should be left to the appropriate organizations. Not you or your members.

Be careful. Keep each other safe.

Matt M

Well said, friend.

It may seem insignificant to run your Gardening or Gaming or Automotive community, but those communities really might be all some of our members have for a while to come.

And at the same time - remember that you're a community administrator. Questions and answers about what to do should be left to the appropriate organizations. Not you or your members.

Be careful. Keep each other safe.
Those communities will be vital to your members more than ever. Be it a distraction, or a safe space to talk, you're definitely needed.

Well said.

Nonetheless, Matt M Im fully in agreement with what you have written. Good read.
Thank you!

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
I was just thinking about starting a new forum. I thought I might put on my social justice warrior hat to fight for the little guy with a new site:
People Against Eliminating Disease OrganismS. I think our tagline should be "Save Corona Virus, hug a neighbour".

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Communities would be a smarter way to stay in touch with like-minded folks. Nowadays social networks are all about endless health scares and depressing news.

The sad thing is many webmasters neglect forums out of conviction they 'run themselves' and the only necessary interaction necessary is updating stuff and banning. Display of leadership qualities is rare when the regular staff has not organically risen from the rank of the most passionate members commanding the most respect and demonstrating exemplary virtue. Forums managed by litteral web idols are certainly a pleasure to visit and participate in compared to social networking.

overcast

Adherent
I think every community should have some dedicated health section or member roll call section especially if your community has members that show up for like 5 years or so with you.

haqzore

Devotee
I think every community should have some dedicated health section or member roll call section especially if your community has members that show up for like 5 years or so with you.
Disagree.

Health info should be left to health experts. Not members of random forums in no way qualified to discuss it. Emotions come into play in times like this, and emotions exacerbate the problem.

Roll call... Most software allows any member to see when any other member last logged in.

Splinter2

Participant
We have a specific thread for COVID 19 with some pretty strong opinions being aired and rarely do I need to moderate.
We're also sharing a lot of useful information on the local situation such as supermarkets, transport etc in Buenos Aires, most of it from personal experience.
Unfortunately, I can see the thread continuing for months to come, yet with a certain stoicism.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Health info should be left to health experts. Not members of random forums in no way qualified to discuss it.
There's no harm in a general 'Health & Lifestyle' section though.

Most of the members engaging there routinely discuss subjects like obesity, sport an motivational peer support rather than offer medical advice in the place of a realworld visit to a professional. It keeps around the oldtimers whose interests might have changed since their membership's peak activity and fosters a positive no-pressure atmosphere where members senior and new alike can connect better with people they might've only done so with before on a purely practical niche-focused basis.

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
And some advice, dont start censoring or closing topics on your forums because you might not agree with some of the politics of the virus and some comments, people need to vent and discuss what is happening. A topic on a forum I am a member of got closed because one of the mods did not agree with scientific fact about it and then got in a hissy fit and closed the topic, as they believed the common flu is way worse and dont know what the drama is all about....

Now is the time to let people speak, vent, get upset and discuss. This actually makes people feel better and like they belong in your community. As community leaders we need to be aware that people are scared and freaking out, so we must be careful in how we respond and not let our personal beliefs get in the way. Let the people talk.

BGObsession

Enthusiast
We do have an active COVID-19 thread currently going on our forum. I think it has been good to share information but I have had to step in a couple times to disallow conspiracty theories, 'it's just the flu' vs. 'we're all doing to die!' battles, etc...

I also started a '3 Good Things...' thread as it is so easy to give into anxiety and fear during these times. My wife and I are both nurses working in a hospital in NC with active COVID-19 cases (more every day). I wanted to give our members an outlet to focus on something positive vs. just getting mired in the depressing and scary details of daily life right now. Might want to give thought to doing something similar. Folks are participating...

overcast

Adherent
Health info should be left to health experts.
In COVID 19 times we are told to use malaria medicine. Not even final conclusive tests are done. I mean not even experts are having expert solutions as of yet. My context for the health section was just to know how many people are alive and infected and how they as members are doing, nothing more. Nobody is going to see last loggin for roll call. If this is the logic to be used, the community forums are better off using facebook why use forums at all.

Ingenious

Fan
Members are letting off steam on my forum too, a nice alternative to the negativity of Facebook for some - quite encouraging really.

bomb

Aspirant
I totally agree. Actually I took a leap of faith and started a new forum last month for students. To my surprise, its catching up. Despite many being of an age group that doesn't appreciate the forums much.

Am trying not to abandon it. Since o got over 150 sign ups in less than a month! Hope to capture more.

What am lacking the right product for them. To keep them coming back. But am working on that.

Matt M

Thanks all, it's much appreciated :)