8 Reasons of Common Forum Failure

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
Shawn G submitted a new Article:

There are always new forums being created. There are usually a huge pool of competition for each niche forum that is created online. Many forum owners will create a message forum quickly and start wondering why they are not getting anywhere. There are common mistakes that are made when people create a forum and some of those mistakes will lead to failure. This article will explain some of the most common mistakes made with a new or inactive forum and what you should avoid as a forum owner.

Lack of content

If your forum lacks content, it will fail. There is no other solution but to address the content issue. You need to ensure you are writing new topics as much as possible. You will never be able to stop writing new topics as well. Content creation is a constant job and the only way to quit or retire it to close the forum down or sell it to someone else. It is common that forum owners create a forum and post a little bit here and there and then wait. Then their forum fails and becomes dead. To avoid this common and often hard to recover from type of mistake, you should always keep posting new and unique content and you will be fine.

Slow servers

If your servers are slow, people will get annoyed and leave your forum. In today's day and age, everyone has high speed internet and no one wants to get on a slow forum and have to wait more than a few seconds for a page to load. You need to make sure those you host with have fast and reliable servers. If you go for the free hosting or extremely cheap and overselling type hosting, you will likely have slow servers which will result in visitors going elsewhere. You get what you pay for with hosting. I started out paying a little bit over $100 a year for shared hosting. Once my forum starting getting active, I went to VPS which is a virtual private server and eventually I went to a dedicated server where I am paying over $100 a month but my forum is very fast and no one complains about the speed.

Poor navigation

If visitors and members cannot find anything on your forum, they will likely not look too long. You need to put yourself in the shoes of a guest and see if you can find something you are looking for very quickly. The best way to avoid this common mistake is to go to a rival forum that is very active and inspect their navigation. You don't want to copy them but you want to get an idea of what is easy to use navigation and you want to address it on your forum. Don't...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator: