4.5: Invites and Referrals

RSS Feed

Participant
RSS Feed submitted a new Article:

4.5: Invites and Referrals

invites_header.jpg.87e234433328c819adb5ac393d123add.jpg

Invision Community has supported member referrals via the Commerce app since Commerce was called Nexus all those years ago.

Community owners have been able to see at a glance who is spreading the word and members have received the kudos associated with a growing referral count in return.

When planning Invision Community 4.5 we saw that this feature had the potential to be so much more… So what have we done to improve it?

See Who Was Referred

In addition to seeing a count of referrals, it’s now possible for both admins and members to see who they referred. If Commerce is enabled admins can also see how much commission (if any) was earned.

The new referral settings page shows links, code snippets and who you've referred

Member Promotion

Seeing a rising count of who has been referred gives members a great feeling of community involvement but wouldn’t it be great if you could reward your members in other ways too?

Referral counts now work as a member filter when using the group promotion feature.

You can now automatically promote members that have referred more than a specific number of members to another user group and give them access to exclusive content. This still works alongside paid subscriptions so be another method for members not willing or able to pay for subscriptions to get access.

Integration With Sharing

If the feature is enabled, any time a link is shared via the built-in share links, referrals will be tracked. This occurs automatically without the member needing to think about it. It’s now easier than ever to see who your superfans are and who is bringing new people to the community.

Blocks

As well as the default share links we have added a new sidebar block that can be added anywhere across your community. This prominent call to action can be added on pages you think are most likely to result in recommendations....

Read more about this article here...

doubt

Tazmanian
When planning Invision Community 4.5 we saw that this feature had the potential to be so much more…
Its great but a little pricey to have the ability to use it.
Commerce: $100 , renewal $35

haqzore

Devotee
Its great but a little pricey to have the ability to use it.
Commerce: $100 , renewal $35
If you look at it with blinders on, sure.

You aren't paying $100 to refer members - Commerce does much more than that. Referrals is one more thing.

Also, with all the referral tracking being implemented (members, links, etc), promotion tie-ins... There are many ways to incentivize community growth & sharing.

IPS steps up again with a totally new thought stream for communities. Capabilities that don't have 20 years of history to jade our thoughts like "how many nodes should I have".

I love that it's new, and I think it's exciting.

Last edited:

Alpha1

Administrator
Referrals for paid account upgrades or for ads I can see the value in that.

Simple registration referrals not so much. I used it back in the day on vbulletin 3 and it worked somewhat. But nowadays 15 years later when everyone gets a ton of spam and you can easily get blacklisted that way, it seems to be more trouble than its worth.

doubt

Tazmanian
If you look at it with blinders on, sure.
I look at it through my pockets.
To pay for Commerce to be able to use it, $70/year?
No.
For sure Commerce can do lots of other things but I don't need them.