4.5: Buy and install Marketplace apps from the Admin CP

• Thread starter Deleted member 3691
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3691

As of Invision Community 4.5, you can buy and install Marketplace apps, themes and plugins right from your own ACP!

Alpha1

Administrator
Matt M now that addons can be installed straight from the admincp, are you changing / increasing the required addon code quality or the code review process?

DanielF

Participant
Matt M now that addons can be installed straight from the admincp, are you changing / increasing the required addon code quality or the code review process?
We'll post more information about this soon;)
Our MP contributors are already aware of this, we're just finishing the updated MP submission guidelines which will be rolled out soon :)

D

Deleted member 3691

We've got some more information coming on what developers can expect and we've got some new submissions guidelines coming soon. We'll be working with our developer community on these over the coming weeks.

Russ

Administrator
What sort of fees do you guys collect from resource providers to post in the marketplace? I'm not seeing anything on the site.

DanielF

Participant
10% is low for a marketplace especially when you review code.
Absolutely . There’s just much more to keep in mind like the chargeback fee, the code reviews to protect clients from data loss or backdoors, but also from 3rd party devs literally steeling other devs code and releasing it unmodified with the same typos and mistakes as their own submission.

We‘re spending really a lot of time for the reviews and it’s just going to be much better for our clients in the future, but that’s TBA ;)

sbjsbj

Fan
This is a game changer.
What part is a game changer? Instead of typing a domain on your browser where you can find the addons on the website, now you need to type your own domain name/admin.php where they will be listed at.

Sure, it is convenient but more than that?

Alpha1

Administrator
Yes, much more than that. You are looking at it from the perspective of a power user, while most admins are not. They will hardly browse the marketplace at all. But now its available from admincp. It means that addon/style sales go up. The marketplace is likely to flourish. The extra requirements and code audit changes mean the code quality goes up. As a xenforo webmaster you know well what headache low quality addons and sloppy developers cause. Or developers who don't care enough or give up because they are not making enough. It's hell and enough to make any sane man/woman give up on the platform. It's XenForo's greatest weakness.

I see improvements on both these points. IPS is offering a platform with 3rd party Apps. As I see it you cannot do that with rubbish apps on the platform. Some quality level needs to be assured. I think this is very attractive. It's great to see IPS taking this serious.

In regards to convenience its a drag to upgrade a dozen sites with up to 100 addons. When its time to upgrade all I need to spend an hour or two to get it all done. An Upgrade All function is just so much better. For this a platform is just so much better.

sbjsbj

Fan
Granted, it will mean more exposure cause not everyone is a power user. Also it is more convenient, I agree.

But the rest about code audit is not a valid point because that already exists with or without this new thing. One couldn't publish rubbish apps before this aswell on IPS if I am not mistaken. So, while what you say is true and a nice thing, there is nothing "game changing" because it already exists.

But, I agree it is nice to have.

Alpha1

Administrator
But the rest about code audit is not a valid point because that already exists with or without this new thing.
That was the point of my first question: The code audit and the requirements are changing. The bar is being raised. See the comments from IPS staff above.

sbjsbj

Fan
That was the point of my first question: The code audit and the requirements are changing. The bar is being raised. See the comments from IPS staff above.
I've read it. But again, raising the bar is not game changing. It is not like they allowed stolen code or poorly coded stuff before these changes. It just means all will be more strict now because the exposure will be much more.

Also, in theory this all sounds good and nice, but raising the bar can also mean less developers and addons, less variety, less competition, more monopoly so more expensive...

I think I understand your angle and think this new announcement is nice but I personally would not call this as game changing.

Taylor J

Fan
We'll post more information about this soon;)
Our MP contributors are already aware of this, we're just finishing the updated MP submission guidelines which will be rolled out soon :)
Granted, it will mean more exposure cause not everyone is a power user. Also it is more convenient, I agree.

But the rest about code audit is not a valid point because that already exists with or without this new thing. One couldn't publish rubbish apps before this aswell on IPS if I am not mistaken. So, while what you say is true and a nice thing, there is nothing "game changing" because it already exists.

But, I agree it is nice to have.
They're increasing the requirements

Joel R

Habitué
Also, in theory this all sounds good and nice, but raising the bar can also mean less developers and addons, less variety, less competition, more monopoly so more expensive...
I can tell you that since IPS started conducting code audits, there have absolutely been cases where developers were not only delisted, but forcefully removed due to serious breaches. So yes, less developers.

Those same devs are actively selling in other ecosystems. You can keep them, and their variety, and their competition; we don't want them back.

Out of all the things you listed, you skipped over the two factors that matter the most to serious community owners: trust and quality. That only comes from having a curated, managed marketplace. And if that means the lowest subset of files and developers get removed, thats a trade off any Invision client is willing to make.