30,000 reasons you need push notifications, even if they dont work on iOS

pierce

Habitué
I don't know about the technicalities, but purely from a business standpoint I can see why Apple would want to hold out for as long as possible before allowing native push to mobile safari.

The app store ecosystem is a huge selling point for iPhones. Some people will buy the phones just for the quality of the ios versions of apps.

They have a huge amount of say over what goes into those apps, what both the developer and user can do in those apps and how that affects the operation of the phone.

Plus they of course get a huge 30% cut of all in app transactions. We've seen how turnkey and gonative users have had to block access to user upgrades as a result of this, so they stay compliant with apples guidelines.

How many forum admins and blog/news site admins have started forking over $100 a year to Apple to get a native app on the store to get push to their readers devices? (In addition to the app/dev fees to actually make the app and keep the iOS dev market healthy)

The last thing Apple wants is encouraging developers to bail on native apps and switch to pure web apps as they'll lose their cut of the flow of money.

You see this with their desire to keep web wrappers out of the store. I'm guessing one big reason for this is with a web wrapper it's seen as too much free reign to travel anywhere on the internet and process monetary transactions through a browser instead of the users Apple ID.

Fully native used to be a massive user experience upgrade compared to a web app interface. Every year that gap is closing though, what with massive jumps in hardware specs being released every 12 months combined with fast movIng improvements in web browsers and other web technology.

Push is one of the last few pieces of necessary native app functionality that nearly every app utilises, that isn't reproducible in a mobile safari web app.

For Apple, what benefit do they have from implimenting this? All I can see at the moment is a very big reason for them to delay the feature for as long as possible, which isn't good for us.

Unless they somehow try to monetise the push functionality of Safari, which honestly wouldn't surprise me if they do.
This doesn't remind you of any massive 26 year long anti trust cases does it? You know when Microsoft was not bundling Netscape navigator with Windows.

Apple doesn't even let you run your own browser on their platform you can wrap around theirs only.

Ironically pressure may come from regulation or fear of regulation before apple does anything.

R0binHood

Habitué
Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath on that though. It was only a European ruling that ended up tipping the boat on that IIRC?

What's funny about that comparison is with the windows situation you were always still free to download and install another browser straight away manually, and that browser was 100% a different piece of software from IE.

Whereas, here, as you pointed out - all the other browsers are just wrappers. So it's really just the illusion of choice, therefore a much worse situation for consumers to be in.