3.8 - how long is it useful?

HallofFamer

Habitué
At least the fact that VB3.8 has reached EOL indicates that it wont get ruined by IB. XD

PacMan

Tazmanian
Unfortunately XenForo lacks a lot of essentials that vb3 has. It would be nice to move, but unless you have got skills like Digitalpoint, it is quite a functionality downgrade from vb3.
That is what is stopping me from upgrading to it. As a result I chose IPB.

Alfa1

Administrator
Yes, same here. But I encountered various issues with ips as well. After a year of daily use I still can't get used to ips as various things are counter intuitive. I'm afraid that my users will have the same experience. Seo is a major concern. So with ips I would need to rewrite a lot of front end templates and functionality. So far I did not get past numerous trials to import my database but its so buggy that I gave up for now.
I'm going to see what the future brings for ips 4 and xf.

Finance

Participant
Which important features are you missing from XenForo? I know that core is missing some essentials, fx "edit history /user options", and signature restrictions but fx Syndols mods are very efficient and fills most of the gaps. What I miss most is Brians (vbadvanced mods)

Alfa1

Administrator
Take a look at the things that Shawn added to XenForo:

Oh snaps! Digitalpoint switched over to Xenforo :D

Alfa1 said:
I think its important to see that many of these functions are so essential that they need to be in the core.
I can't imagine running a big board or even a medium size board without:

• edit thread title
  • email rollback
  • forum sorting
  • post cache
  • post edit history
  • thread edit history
  • user change log
  • user name change
  • badges

And I would certainly want the following functions, before migrating to XF:

• user notes
  • watch forums
  • best answer
  • best thread
  • better editor
Then there are more things that are essential for those moving over from vbulletin:

• blog
  • social groups
  • albums
  • reputation comments
  • Negative reputation
  • Multiquote
  • Better profile privacy
  • Friends
  • CKEditor / redactor
  • PM folders
  • Message Tracking
  • I dislike that the quick reply editor opens below the post you are responding to.
  • Not really a function that vb had, but compared to IPB: a notification that someone has posted while you were writing your response and an option to load those post(s) inline. That is a vital function.
  • See who is browsing a forum / thread.
  • Subforum listings

GeorgeB.

Yes, same here. But I encountered various issues with ips as well. After a year of daily use I still can't get used to ips as various things are counter intuitive. I'm afraid that my users will have the same experience. Seo is a major concern. So with ips I would need to rewrite a lot of front end templates and functionality. So far I did not get past numerous trials to import my database but its so buggy that I gave up for now.
I'm going to see what the future brings for ips 4 and xf.
I use IPS and I have to agree here. A LOT of things on the admin side are counter-intuitive and their documentation is vague and to say it's disorganized would be an understatement.

The forum support, as mentioned here on TAZ recently, is probably the worst I've ever seen. Again, vague answers from developers and staff.

I'm no conspiracy nut but it seems their support forums are designed to confuse and frustrate you because the threads that actually are useful are incredibly hard to find. Irrelevant results in built in site search. I have to use Google to find stuff on invisionpower.com.

But their support ticket system is also the best I've seen so it balances out.

Gladius

Enthusiast
IPS = company
IPB = forum software

Just a reminder since this comes up a lot...

maksim

Serial Entrepreneur
I will disagree. Ipb works just fine and the seo is fantastic with it.... we are generally number 1 or 2 for anything search in our niche and geographical area.

Give it some time. User experience while different from vb 3.8 is very good and we have more than half being active.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Alfa1

Administrator
I have been working in the SEO field for 13 years and I see a lot of room for improvement with ips in regards to seo. It's not without reason that my site attracts 2.6 million unique visitors per month while pretty much all ipb boards in my niche barely attract visitors.

IPS = company
IPB = forum software

Just a reminder since this comes up a lot...
Actually, IPS = IPS suite = community & e-commerce software

Last edited:

Gladius

Enthusiast
Actually, the company is IPS Inc. and their products (or apps, as they call them), are:

IP.Board
IP.Nexus
IP.Content
IP.Gallery
IP.Blog
IP.Downloads
IP.Chat

There is no "IPS suite" product currently - they just refer to all of their apps collectively as a "suite" or "community suite" on some of the pages. There will be an IPS Social Suite (IPSSS?) product in the future, but the standard abbreviation for the software has been IPB for many years now. Not IPS. They just started throwing the "suite" label in after IB came up with it for vBulletin.

So unless you're referring specifically to the usage of all of their "apps" in every post, it'd be less confusing to use the standard abbreviation IPB since the forums (IP.Board) are what's being discussed more than 90% of the time, after all.

And yea, I love details. :p

Mark.B

Tazmanian
I'm so old fashioned I still refer to the entire thing as 'Invision'.

Alfa1

Administrator
Actually, the company is IPS Inc. and their products (or apps, as they call them), are:

IP.Board
IP.Nexus
IP.Content
IP.Gallery
IP.Blog
IP.Downloads
IP.Chat

There is no "IPS suite" product currently - they just refer to all of their apps collectively as a "suite" or "community suite" on some of the pages. There will be an IPS Social Suite (IPSSS?) product in the future, but the standard abbreviation for the software has been IPB for many years now. Not IPS. They just started throwing the "suite" label in after IB came up with it for vBulletin.

So unless you're referring specifically to the usage of all of their "apps" in every post, it'd be less confusing to use the standard abbreviation IPB since the forums (IP.Board) are what's being discussed more than 90% of the time, after all.

And yea, I love details. :p
As you have noted there is a change. Previously IPB was the core and the other products were apps. Now they are moving to a central core and IPB just being an addon/ app. IP.Board relates to the forum only.
Part of this change is that IPS is now referring to their software as 'IPS community suite' and 'IPS social suite'. You can already find this in many places and its also the title of this page: IPS community Suite

Gladius

Enthusiast
No, the community suite / suite is what they're using now when referring to their existing apps as a whole, as I mentioned above. The "Social Suite" (official name from their PR that I've seen) is what's up and coming with v4. But it's still not "IPS" for short. Maybe IPSS for short since IPSSS is a bit odd. But just calling it "IPS" would be the same as calling vBulletin Jelsoft or IB or vBSolutions or whatever.

Anyway, maybe one of the mods could ping someone from IPS to post the official stance on this so we can put it to rest.

Alfa1

Administrator
So what you are saying is that their software as a whole is now called IPS community suite and will be called IPS social suite. As such its not erroneous to call the software IPS suite.

IP.B only refers to forum software, not to the rest of the suite. So when I write about the suite as a whole, I will not refer to it as IPB, because that would be erroneous.

To come back to the original topic: Mark Jean (senior vb project manager) has just posted that there will be a new vb3 version which supports PHP 5.4.

Gladius

Enthusiast
Yes, only you're not abbreviating it to IPSS (IPS Suite) but just IPS, which happens to be the company name. Which is incorrect and confusing.

But whatever, I'm sure I was more than clear enough 3 posts ago, I don't really care if you want to correct your posting or not.

On topic: I would hope they'd do more than just fix it up for PHP 5.4.

Paul M

Limeade Addict
Seems this has gone wayyyy off topic.

Anyway, php 5.4 updates for 3.8.x are being considered.